Sonic Forces

Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Multiplatform

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 pm
Remember Project Sonic 2017, that game that was announced alongside Sonic Mania?

Yeah, we've got a name for it now: Sonic Forces. Not much has been revealed yet (Only a bit of Modern Sonic's gameplay, some characters who'll be present as side characters, and a bit of the story), but amongst these- I believe the story is the most interesting: apparently, in Sonic Forces, Eggman actually managed to take over the World and Sonic and Co. are fighting to take it back.

Here's the first gameplay trailer:

So, just like with my Sonic Mania thread, what's your take on this game? Is it good? Is it bad? Or is it just meh?

In my personal opinion I'm being cautiously optimistic. It looks nice and the gameplay seems solid but I'll need more info.
Transcode #003: Mega Man! EM Wave Change, Geo Stelar, on the air!

Wave Battle, Ride On!
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:46 pm
Looks like plain ol' Modern Sonic so far, though that's not really a bad thing.

Generations provided a system that worked just fine, and the Sonic series hasn't performed such a feat since, so I definitely understand another such game being made. And heck, reusing an engine worked for Kirby, mostly because each game had its own identity for one reason or another, and it looks like this one will too.

Eggman has clearly lost his goddamn marbles this time around; sending his army to directly attack a city is hardly his style! I wouldn't be shocked if this was actually the work of someone else who got his hands on Eggman's stuff, perhaps even Eggman Nega. Or maybe Eggman just lost his goddamn marbles. I mean, ripping the planet apart wasn't beneath him.

Not knowing there was a video of the gameplay on the official Sonic channel, I first watched a video of it recorded on some dude's camera at the event. I thought the screaming was actually coming from the game for a moment, glory be! Imagine that!
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:39 am
Iron Joe wrote:Looks like plain ol' Modern Sonic so far, though that's not really a bad thing.

Generations provided a system that worked just fine, and the Sonic series hasn't performed such a feat since, so I definitely understand another such game being made. And heck, reusing an engine worked for Kirby, mostly because each game had its own identity for one reason or another, and it looks like this one will too.

Eggman has clearly lost his goddamn marbles this time around; sending his army to directly attack a city is hardly his style! I wouldn't be shocked if this was actually the work of someone else who got his hands on Eggman's stuff, perhaps even Eggman Nega. Or maybe Eggman just lost his goddamn marbles. I mean, ripping the planet apart wasn't beneath him.

Not knowing there was a video of the gameplay on the official Sonic channel, I first watched a video of it recorded on some dude's camera at the event. I thought the screaming was actually coming from the game for a moment, glory be! Imagine that!

And then there's those supersized Death Egg Robots. Seriously, those dwarf the original thing by a great deal AND are mass-produced, without any need for a pilot? Eggman REALLY stepped up his game here. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be the obligatory Super Sonic boss fight. Which begs the question: WHERE is Eggman getting all these resources from?!

Also directly attacking a City IS actually something Eggman might do. As much as I'm loathe to mention that damned abomination of a game, Sonic '06 actually shows Eggman doing the same thing (Albeit with regular sized robots, not things that make the Death Egg Robot look tiny). Speaking of the Death Egg Robot, this is like, the fifth time he's used that design. Fourth in canon. Sonic must be getting tired of it by now.

Wave Battle, Ride On!
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:21 pm
I hear that this game'll have not two, but three playstyles. Modern, Classic, and one more.

Best case scenario, it's Dreamcast Sonic. Worst and most likely case scenario, it's Boom Sonic. Possible third option, it's not Sonic. But whatever it is, why the hell did they not show it off? The game's no further away than Super Mario Odyssey. Hell, for how excited everyone was about the trailer, it didn't tell us a damn thing we didn't already know.
Last edited by Iron Joe on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:18 am
Iron Joe wrote:I hear that this game'll have not two, but three playstyles. Modern, Classic, and one more.

Best case scenario, it's Dreamcaat Sonic. Worst and most likely case scenario, it's Boom Sonic. Possible third option, it's not Sonic. But whatever it is, why the hell did they not show it off? The game's no further away than Super Mario Odyssey. Hell, for how excited everyone was about the trailer, it didn't tell us a damn thing we didn't already know.

Sega have flat-out stated that the third playstyle is not another Sonic.

Edit: As it turns out, the third playstyle is actually creating a custom character more with a reliance on gadgets called Wispons (They utilize the powers of the Wisps) and other special abilities depending on species rather than anything else. Take a peek at the gameplay here:

Wave Battle, Ride On!
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 pm
That's cool. I think I'll make my character that rabbit that got scrapped as a design for Sonic and then got scrapped again as a design for Ristar.

Spoiler

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm
Turns out we've got another new trailer. Sonic and co. have their work cut out for them, on top of Eggman, there's a new villain, who's got all four of Metal Sonic, Chaos, Shadow and Zavok under his command. It's likely this new villain is working with Eggman (and is likely the reason he's able to take over the world on a whim so suddenly).

Wave Battle, Ride On!
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 pm
I wonder how the hell Eggman managed to make Shadow evil again. Chaos makes some form of sense because he's not sentient, but Shadow? Bizarre.

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:48 pm
Iron Joe wrote:I wonder how the hell Eggman managed to make Shadow evil again. Chaos makes some form of sense because he's not sentient, but Shadow? Bizarre.

Probably via the new villain, Infinite. In a new trailer, we some stuff Infinite does in the game... most notably outmatching Sonic himself- pretty badly too. Sonic can't even get in a clean hit. Tails even flat-out states that Infinite is faster than the blue hedgehog himself, and both fox and hedgehog are clueless as to what's going on. Here's the trailer:

I'm not sure if it is Infinite's doing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Wave Battle, Ride On!
Party Demon
Party Demon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:08 pm

That theme song is really good. And Infinite's VA is top notch as well.

He definitely looks like the main baddy of the game, would be shocked if he wasn't.

And hopefully there will be an explanation for the "villain" team. And why Shadow of all people is apart of it.
Next

Return to Modern Gaming