Super Mario Odyssey

Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Multiplatform
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm

I think I'm in love.

After a whopping two console generations without it, we're finally getting a 3D Mario in the style of 64 and Sunshine. None of that linear stuff in Galaxy or 3D World - those are fine games, but they're one thing and this is another. I love that they made this explicitly clear in the presentation, where they in fact did not simply imply it with the trailer, but flat-out said so.

This just looks...gorgeous. This is what made the Switch presentation for me. Everything else might as well've been a fuckin' loading screen, though tbf Arms looks okay and BotW looks as good as ever.

This is definitely looking like my dream Mario game. It has much more unique areas than previous entries (a realistic city! WHAT!) and one particular area has a plethora of DKC references. That last bit, combined with Mario's hat having big googly eyes, makes me think that the games of Rare's glory days are going to have a bit of an influence here, and if so, that's great.

Mario seems to have all of his old moves and more, with a possible exception of the punch combo. That's fine, I guess. He does have a new attack in the form of his sentient boomerang hat, which he can also use to make his own small bouncy platform among other stuff. We see Mario going into a hat shop, which makes me think that Mario can customize his hat and give it particular abilities for a given situation, if not flat-out upgrade the thing. If so, cool. If not, still cool because of everything else.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed this game. More than I need BotW or anything else they showed.
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image
Party Demon
Party Demon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:48 pm
I'm pretty hyped for it as well. The game looks amazing.

Exceed my exceptions of what I thought the Mario game was going to be by a lot.
So Darwin was Wrong...
So Darwin was Wrong...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:54 pm
Game looks great but those humans in new dong city look a bit low res.
Bowser looks classy af and was that metaton in the jungle area?
When a girl beats a guy in Death Battle.

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm
Dropping some new info from E3 into this thread: Mario can possess stuff using his hat, which is apparently possessed itself by some sort of ghost which works with Mario (hence the eyes).
Transcode #003: Mega Man! EM Wave Change, Geo Stelar, on the air!

Wave Battle, Ride On!
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:50 pm
I really like the Capture gimmick. It's not even limited to people! I can't wait to see all what I can do with it.
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image

Return to Modern Gaming