The Nintendo NX

Wii U, PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Multiplatform

Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:56 pm
Yeah, bind the world against it. The WiiU did bad, this is a fundamental marketshare killer.

Since the third generation (and with a single exception, i.e. the 5200, even before that), every single console has had one immutable promise associated with it - that being that this one machine is all you will need for this generation, however long it is. Doesn't matter if its a game from 2006 or 2013, my day one Ps3 will play it. Thats a full generation of gaming for a one time fee, which justifies the price tag, and helps to differentiate it from PC's. At worst, you have what Nintendo did with the N64, an add-on for the console you had to buy with the expansion pack. And even then, they were subtle about how they did it to avoid a backlash.

Every manufacturer is pretty much on board with this, and will launch their consoles at the same time. Its why you'll usually see a generations consoles launch within roughly a year of each other - at most, 2 years. Thats partially why we even have a concept of generations, along with power differences.

But this? Sony and Microsoft are both planned well into 2017, with some saying even 2018 for Sony if people are right about the FF 7 remake. This generation is just starting, but Nintendo want people to buy another console from them? Why the hell would they do that? Heck, whats the guarantee that Nintendo won't pull the same shit a third time, and you'll be out another couple hundred bucks on a console?

The only way this console can work is if they actively pay Gamestop and Best Buy to take them, and then tell people that they can trade in their WiiU's for an NX for free. Otherwise this is just asking fans to pay because of Nintendo's huge mistake. And with their already incredibly fractured and small fanbase, thats a way to destroy it completely.

And this is without even looking at the other issues. No optical drive? Leaving aside how this manages to remove the console once again from the home theater position, and with it removing something needed in its favor, AND ignoring how this means there will be no backwards compatability, which will just further piss off the people who did buy WiiU's, this means Nintendo are either moving towards an online distribution only system, which is completely insane for a console and has every problem that the Xbox One originally had except worse, even IF Nintendo had a coherent and proper account system, or they're moving towards the use of USB's or SD cards, which is more expensive and would lead to piracy worse than any console before it. Which would in turn provoke an overreaching response that would further piss off customers.
These Shades are Worth More than your Life
These Shades are Worth More than your Life
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:42 am
Fox wrote:2016 has Starfox and Zelda (maybe?)
Plus Pokkén Tournament, which is going to do well because it's Pokémon, and Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE, which is going to be great because it's an Atlus RPG (although it's going to need a name change in the west if they want it to do well). Also Project Guard, but I'm really not sold on that game.

Tanantine wrote:Since the third generation (and with a single exception, i.e. the 5200, even before that), every single console has had one immutable promise associated with it - that being that this one machine is all you will need for this generation, however long it is.
Nintendo has had problems with keeping 3rd parties on board ever since the N64 days. It has just kept getting worse and worse with each generation. Just like Wii U, Wii also got excluded from many popular multiplatform games, which is why the general consensus was that if you're a console gamer, Wii is probably not going to be enough for you.

Tanantine wrote:This generation is just starting, but Nintendo want people to buy another console from them? Why the hell would they do that? Heck, whats the guarantee that Nintendo won't pull the same shit a third time, and you'll be out another couple hundred bucks on a console?
To play Nintendo exclusives? That's pretty much the reason to get any Nintendo console for the past couple of generations now.

Besides, Wii U has already been out for a good while. Were NX to be released late 2016, Wii U would already be 4 years old at the time, which is only a year younger than Gamecube when it was replaced by Wii. Of course I would much prefer it if they'd keep supporting Wii U instead, but seeing how most major third parties have abandoned that wagon, I can understand them wanting to start fresh.

I'm satisfied with Wii U's game library anyway and think the console was a worthy purchase, so I'm OK with this.

Tanantine wrote:The only way this console can work is if they actively pay Gamestop and Best Buy to take them, and then tell people that they can trade in their WiiU's for an NX for free. Otherwise this is just asking fans to pay because of Nintendo's huge mistake. And with their already incredibly fractured and small fanbase, thats a way to destroy it completely.
:lol:

Tanantine wrote:And this is without even looking at the other issues. No optical drive? Leaving aside how this manages to remove the console once again from the home theater position, and with it removing something needed in its favor, AND ignoring how this means there will be no backwards compatability, which will just further piss off the people who did buy WiiU's, this means Nintendo are either moving towards an online distribution only system, which is completely insane for a console and has every problem that the Xbox One originally had except worse, even IF Nintendo had a coherent and proper account system, or they're moving towards the use of USB's or SD cards, which is more expensive and would lead to piracy worse than any console before it. Which would in turn provoke an overreaching response that would further piss off customers.
These are all just unconfirmed rumors so far, so I wouldn't get too upset by it quite yet. I would be very upset if it turned out, that Nintendo was going all digital with NX, but this wouldn't be the first time Nintendo has filed a patent they won't really do anything with.

Also, NX suffers from the same problems as Xbone except it's even worse? Do you not remember the awful DRM they were going to pull off with Xbox One, where it was required to connect to Microsoft's online servers every 24 hours, and if the check failed, all of your games would be disabled? There's no sign of anything like that happening with the NX.
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:16 am
Considering all we have are rumors... no, I'd prefer not talking about it.
Alyxx' Game Room - Game Reviews, Top 10's & other stuff by Alyxx
Origin ID: Alyxxandria
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:14 pm
Touch screen control? Honestly I don't want that. Give me back my regular control pad any old day. I don't want to have to look at two screens honestly just to enjoy a game.

But yes, it's best not to jump to conclusions. I've been a long time faithful fan of Nintendo since it's NES days (yeah I in my 30s lol), and while Nintendo has made some mistakes, I do believe they can bounce back from this. I remember when the Gamecube came out and people didn't think it was all that great compared to the Playstation and XBOX, yet it's one of my fav consuls.

One thing I wish Nintendo would change is it's issue with Let's Players.
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:36 am
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/16/report-dev-kits-suggests-nintendo-nx-likely-more-powerful-than-ps4-and-xbox-one/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Spoiler
Part of my plan
Spoiler
So Darwin was Wrong...
So Darwin was Wrong...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:45 am

Spoiler

Hoping the price isn't ceiling shattering, hopefully they can persuade some of the third party companies to come back to them...
Steeling that shovel.
Spoiler
risinguppercut wrote:Is Abrams secretly a cute girl? IS EVERYONE OTHER THAN ME SECRETLY A CUTE GIRL?!

HomestuckLover wrote:Shad the greatest of waifus

Meddadius wrote:ShagMorgen

Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:41 pm
Yes, because asking third parties to make a different version exclusively for the WiiU(whereas you could use the same stuff for the PC, Ps4 and Xbox One version) didn't work, but the issue was clearly that the WiiU was just selling too well, and they needed to start again with an install base of 0.

And if that is in any way true, how will the price possibly not be ceiling shattering? Microsoft and Sony can get the tech cheaper owing to a wider used R & D division of the larger company along with their manufacturing interests. Nintendo don't have those economies of scale - thats the whole reason they came up with the Wii and the WiiU in the first place, cause they can't compete.
So Darwin was Wrong...
So Darwin was Wrong...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:21 am
Tanantine wrote:Yes, because asking third parties to make a different version exclusively for the WiiU(whereas you could use the same stuff for the PC, Ps4 and Xbox One version) didn't work, but the issue was clearly that the WiiU was just selling too well, and they needed to start again with an install base of 0.

And if that is in any way true, how will the price possibly not be ceiling shattering? Microsoft and Sony can get the tech cheaper owing to a wider used R & D division of the larger company along with their manufacturing interests. Nintendo don't have those economies of scale - thats the whole reason they came up with the Wii and the WiiU in the first place, cause they can't compete.

Dude
Spoiler

Easy friend, I was just saying a few hopes I have.
Steeling that shovel.
Spoiler
risinguppercut wrote:Is Abrams secretly a cute girl? IS EVERYONE OTHER THAN ME SECRETLY A CUTE GIRL?!

HomestuckLover wrote:Shad the greatest of waifus

Meddadius wrote:ShagMorgen
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:16 pm
Tanantine wrote:And if that is in any way true, how will the price possibly not be ceiling shattering?

Well the best way would be not include a $100+ tablet that saw little use outside of a mini-map in most titles. :roll:

Other than that, Nintendo may have struck up a hell of a deal with AMD to get a bulk discount or they may have to sell the system at cost and hope to make profits from software sales rather than hardware. They really need to nab a bit install base right out the gate or consumers and 3rd party developers may not be too eager to jump back on board.

Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:32 am
Fox wrote:
Tanantine wrote:And if that is in any way true, how will the price possibly not be ceiling shattering?

Well the best way would be not include a $100+ tablet that saw little use outside of a mini-map in most titles. :roll:

Other than that, Nintendo may have struck up a hell of a deal with AMD to get a bulk discount or they may have to sell the system at cost and hope to make profits from software sales rather than hardware.
We've seen the sort of console that Nintendo can produce under cost in their present state. Its the WiiU (only console this generation that didn't turn an automatic profit on each unit sold, actually. Fun little bit of trivia)

They really need to nab a bit install base right out the gate or consumers and 3rd party developers may not be too eager to jump back on board.
How??!! Sony are already dominating the market like they did with the Ps2, and now Nintendo are starting again from 0. They can't possibly rely on the casuals again (the tablet and mobile market have their claws sunk deep into that demographic, and they are not letting go), and they don't have it in them to attract the traditional gaming market as well as Sony or Microsoft. All they can rely on is the Nintendo faithful, and the WiiU proves there isn't enough of those to make a system succeed.
PreviousNext

Return to Modern Gaming