The Christian Worldview Explained

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.
User avatar
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 am
I saw a few topics concerning religion floating around and there seemed to be a few misconceptions. So I figure I'd take a swing at explaining the Christian worldview. Since religion is generally a touchy topic for some, lets be sure to keep things respectful. We might disagree, but that does not mean we need to behave disagreeably.

A worldview, is "a particular philosophy of life or conception of the world." It answers the big questions of Origin, Meaning, Morality, and Destiny; Where did I come from, What is my purpose, How do we differentiate between Good and Evil, and what happens to a person when he or she dies. I am personally coming from the Judeo-Christian worldview, which basically means I acknowledge The Bible in its entirety. I shall try to keep this section brief, followed by providing answers to a number of questions that often come up.

Origin

Put very simply, we believe God created everything that is; "Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made" (John 1:3). Apart from what is stated in scripture, the universe as we know it, holds very strong evidence of there being a creator. Albert Einstein once said, "The most incomprehensible thing about the world, is that it is comprehensible." Saying the universe created itself by chance, is even less acceptable than saying a jetliner was the product of a tornado crossing over a junkyard, or a dictionary was the result of an explosion in a printing press. The molding of reality is simply too perfect for there not to be a designer.

Meaning

We've established that we are here because God created us, now the next logical question is, why? First lets answer what we weren't created for; it wasn't because He needed us: "The God who made the world and everything in it … is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything" (Acts 17:24-25).
It wasn't because He was lonely. Long before we were here, God already had "company" with Himself through the Trinity, the Son and the Holy Spirit, referred to in Genesis 1:26, "Let us make man in our own image."
And He didn't make us because He needed his ego fed, as if to satisfy some craving to be bowed down to. God is totally secure in who He is—without us.
Yet God chose to create us anyway, out of His great love: "I have loved you with an everlasting love" (Jeremiah 31:3). God loved us before He even created us. It's difficult to comprehend, but it's true; that's what "everlasting" love means.
God is love (1 John 4:8), and because of that love and His wonderful creativity, He made us so that we can enjoy all that He is and all that He has created, with Him.
Lastly, God created us to fulfill His eternal plan, to point people to eternal life with God—through his Son, Jesus Christ. "We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Ephesians 2:10).

Morality

There are several points throughout the Bible that instruct us on how we should and should not lead our lives, but instead of getting into that, I shall get to the center of Christianity: The Cross. The fact of the matter is we have all fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23) and as a great hero of mine, Ravi Zacharias once said, Jesus didn't come into this world to make bad people good, He came to make dead people live. Yes it is true that a person does not need God to be moral, because believe in Him or not, we are created as moral beings. However, God repeatedly points out that without the redemption of the heart, all moralizing is hollow. My joy and desire to do good is not a means for me to obtain salvation, it is the result of my salvation, thankfulness and returned love for God, which He poured into to me and granted me redemption for all the wrong that I had done in my life through Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.

Destiny

When a person dies, they do not disappear into nothingness, nor are they reincarnated. It is appointed for a person to die once and then stand before the judgement seat (Hebrews 9:27) from there, those who have received Christ's forgiveness and redemption are called to Himself. "Yet to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God" (John 1:12)

----------

I realize that I've only scratched the surface of the this daunting topic, and perhaps some of you have questions or issues with Christianity that you'd like explained. I will attempt to answer any questions to the best of my ability if asked, but first I shall list several big questions that are often brought up, and then leave a short video answer by Christian Apologist Dr.Ravi Zacharias, and some by Professor John Lennox, men far more qualified than I at answering questions. I also highly recommend you explore their lectures and Q&A sessions if you find their answers interesting or helpful.


Aren't all religions basically the same?

Spoiler


Doesn't the reality of evil and suffering disprove the existence of God?

Spoiler


How do we know the Bible is true and not man-made?

Spoiler

Isn't it unfair to claim that the people who don't believe in Jesus are condemned to hell?

Spoiler


Why do we need God to dictate morality for us? Can't we just figure it out ourselves?

Spoiler

Why are there so many different interpritations of the Bible and so many different denominations? Which one is right?

Spoiler

Why must someone subscribe to Christianity and follow Jesus if they already live a good life as a good person?

Spoiler

How do you explain all the death and destruction done in God's name? Such as the Crusades?

Spoiler

How does Christianity claim truth and exclusivity over other religions?

Spoiler


Is it possible for a person to live a sincere Christian life as a Homosexual?

Spoiler

Why are Christians against Abortion? Does humanity really have freewill, or is it just an illusion?

Spoiler

Does God favor a gender? Were women meant to be subservient to men?

Spoiler

Hasn't Science debunked religion and the existence of God?

Spoiler

If God created the universe and everything in it, who created God?

Spoiler

Why does the path to Heaven seem so narrow?

Spoiler

How would you explain the wrathful Old Testament God in contrast to the loving New Testament God?

Spoiler

Why do Christians believe in concepts such as original sin, the Trinity, or that Jesus was God, if Jesus never mentioned these things?

Spoiler

How can Christianity fix the world if the absolute law God demands is not in Christianity itself?

Spoiler

Is our culture jettisoning God?

Spoiler

Why do we have no hope beyond the grave without Jesus Christ?

Spoiler

Why does leaving God out of our lives leave our lives with no meaning?

Spoiler

How will having no moral absolutes and no real meaning affect the way we live our lives?

Spoiler

Would you compare Buddhism and Christianity?

Spoiler

Why doesn't God stop injustice and evil from happening in the first place?

Spoiler

Why does God make it so difficult to believe in Him? Why not just show Himself?

Spoiler

Does suicide send you to hell?

Spoiler

Isn't it unfair of God to condemn atheists when He hasn't given enough evidence to believe in Him?

Spoiler

How can I be sure God is listening to me? What does it mean to be “Born Again”? Is repentance necessary to be a Christian?

Spoiler

How would someone present Jesus to someone who does not believe in God?

Spoiler

How can someone receive Jesus' gift of salvation?

Spoiler



For those would are interested, here are a few full-length lectures and Q&A sessions on various topics:


Does Truth Matter? - Lecture and Q&A with Dr.Ravi Zacharias and Vince Vitale

Spoiler

What it means to be Human – Lecture and Q&A with Abdu Murray and Dr.Ravi Zacharias:

Spoiler

Jesus Among Secular gods – Lecture and Q&A with Vince Vitale and Dr.Ravi Zacharias:

Spoiler

The Loud Absence – Where is God in Suffering? Lecture with Prof.John Lennox:

Spoiler

Is Faith Delusional? - Lecture and Q&A with Prof.John Lennox and Dr.Ravi Zacharias:

Spoiler

Need God? What if I Don't? – Lecture and Q&A with Dr.Ravi Zacharias and Michael Ramsden:

Spoiler

Compilation of questions answered by Dr.Ravi Zacharias:

Spoiler

Last edited by ~{Red}~ on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Image
User avatar
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
Posts: 9273
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: Twin Seed City
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:36 pm
Nice cringe compilation you got there. Honestly I can't see myself serving God even if he showed up in my room. Why would I expect the god who cares so little as to let his followers hang innocent people for witchcraft and didn't do a DAMN thing about the Holocaust (which was done in his name) to heal my cold, let alone get mad if I jerk off, let alone give me eternal life for not jerking off?

"Did you even watch any of the videos I posted" Of COURSE I didn't, who the hell has time for that?
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image
User avatar
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:33 pm
Iron Joe wrote:Nice cringe compilation you got there. Honestly I can't see myself serving God even if he showed up in my room. Why would I expect the god who cares so little as to let his followers hang innocent people for witchcraft and didn't do a DAMN thing about the Holocaust (which was done in his name) to heal my cold, let alone get mad if I jerk off, let alone give me eternal life for not jerking off?

"Did you even watch any of the videos I posted" Of COURSE I didn't, who the hell has time for that?


Oh my, I wasn't expecting a reply so soon. So I suppose your questions are :

-Why would God allow His followers to hang innocent people for witchcraft?
-Why did God allow the Holocaust?
-Why didn't God heal my cold?
-Why does God disapprove of masturbation?

Your questions are very fair questions Joe, and I appreciate your candor. before I get to answering your questions though, I would just like to clarify that I do not expect anyone to go through each and every video I posted, I was merely attempting to be thorough, and for them to select the specific questions they were curious about or struggling with. If you have the time, I recommend you view a few that pertain to your questions, such as "Doesn't the reality of evil and suffering disprove God?" and "What about all the evil done in God's name? Like the Crusades?" and "Why doesn't God stop injustice and evil from happening in the first place?" which I have listed above.

Why would God allow His followers to hang innocent people for witchcraft...I assume you're referring to the Salem Witch Trials where people were falsely accused and then condemned for crimes they were innocent of, and ultimately punished on the basis of Scripture. Two answers to this: 1.) The people in authority made the mistake of politicizing their religion. That's a big no no. Enforced religion, no matter how beautiful it claims to be, becomes disgustingly wicked, because it crushes the free-will out of people and becomes a means for control. 2.) Never judge a philosophy by its abuse, judge it by its logical out workings. Those who murder in the name of God are in reality, disobeying Him. If I claimed to be a vegetarian, and then proceeded to eat a rack of ribs, would you believe me? Of course not, because I am blatantly disobeying a fundamental of what it means to be a vegetarian.

Why did God allow the Holocaust...I would like to correct the assumption that the Holocaust was done in God's name, it was not. It was done as a result of Naturalism. Both Hitler and Stalin at one point were raised in a Christian family, but they both renounced their faith in favor of Naturalism. Why obey God when they had the power to play God? In fact, Hitler himself personally presented the works of Friedrich Nietzsche, the man who popularized the phrase "God is Dead", to both Stalin and Mussolini. The Holocaust, as well as World War 2, are the product of the logical out workings of atheism/naturalism, the idea that man is nothing more than a composition of atoms and is only valuable if he is talented and intelligent while the weak and unworthy are dominated or destroyed by the strong, hence Hilter's idea of the Übermacht. Viktor Frankl, a Holocaust survivor, once said this:

"If we present a man with a concept of man which is not true, we may well corrupt him. When we present man as an automaton of reflexes, as a mind-machine, as a bundle of instincts, as a pawn of drives and reactions, as a mere product of instinct, heredity and environment, we feed the nihilism to which modern man is, in any case, prone. I became acquainted, with the last stage of that corruption in my second concentration camp, Auschwitz. The gas chambers of Auschwitz were the ultimate consequence of the theory that man is nothing but the product of heredity and environment--or, as the Nazi liked to say, of 'Blood and Soil.' I am absolutely convinced that the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some Ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers."

Why didn't God heal my cold...There are a number of possibilities why, but there are two things I would suggest. The first is this: have you allowed God in your life to begin with? You've very clearly stated in your post that you want nothing to do with God, so why blame Him for your cold? God can only be allowed in your life if you ask Him to be. The dynamics of freewill do not allow God to properly operate in a persons life to the fullest until they get right with Him. Seek Him, and you will find Him. "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14). The second is this: pain isn't always as bad as we make it out to be in those small moments of testing, it is often used to humble us, but never to overtake us. "Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. - (Romans 5:3-5)

Why does God disapprove of masturbation...I would first like to clarify that God doesn't get mad at you for stumbling, we all do. He's very forgiving, eager for us to return and give us another chance. The problem is when we run away from Him thinking "Well, God hates me now. I can't possibly approach Him." Not at all. Now concerning why masturbation and sexual sin is an issue, it is a matter of not knowing your worth as a being created in the image of God. We are God's temple:"Or don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in your midst?" (1 Corinthians 3:16) and when we commit sexual sin, we are defiling ourselves. "Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body." (1 Corinthians 6:18). Furthermore if a person is using pornography as a means to indulge, they are viewing a person as little more than an object to feed a feeling that no one person can ever satisfy. It does not quench the hunger, it makes it grow. "But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!" (Matthew 6:23)

Thank you for your questions, and I hope that you will consider viewing the videos I recommended, as Dr.Zacharais and Proffessor Lennox give far better answers than I.
Image
User avatar
It's a Cat. I Think
It's a Cat. I Think
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:43 pm
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:59 am
~{Red}~ wrote:Why did God allow the Holocaust...I would like to correct the assumption that the Holocaust was done in God's name, it was not. It was done as a result of Naturalism. Both Hitler and Stalin at one point were raised in a Christian family, but they both renounced their faith in favor of Naturalism. Why obey God when they had the power to play God? In fact, Hitler himself personally presented the works of Friedrich Nietzsche, the man who popularized the phrase "God is Dead", to both Stalin and Mussolini. The Holocaust, as well as World War 2, are the product of the logical out workings of atheism/naturalism, the idea that man is nothing more than a composition of atoms and is only valuable if he is talented and intelligent while the weak and unworthy are dominated or destroyed by the strong, hence Hilter's idea of the Übermacht. Viktor Frankl, a Holocaust survivor, once said this:
.


I can appreciate the fact that you are a very articulate and intelligent person, Red. I know that your faith must mean a lot to you, and that's very commendable, and I know you are posting this -- not to try and proselytize -- but to explain Christianity and educate people who want to learn more.

But I have to tell you that this quote of yours I've focused on is utter crap. The holocaust was not caused by atheism or Nietzschean philosophy. Far from it. It was deeply rooted in European anti-semitism that predates Nietzsche. Jews were never citizens of the German nation-state (nor many other European nations), and were barred from having many professions. How Jews might become citizens and a part of the Christian nation-state was a question that existed long before Hitler, and was addressed by Karl Marx and Ludwig Feuerbach before Nietzsche was even born (to name just two examples). This is not to mention the vast political underpinnings and causes that lead to the Third Reich.

I'm sorry, but to state that the Holocaust was caused by atheism or naturalism is just a flat out lie, especially considering the fact the majority of Germans during Hitler's reign were, in fact, practicing Christians.
You're so vain. You probably think this signature's about you.
User avatar
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:36 am
Fredo_Corleone wrote:I can appreciate the fact that you are a very articulate and intelligent person, Red. I know that your faith must mean a lot to you, and that's very commendable, and I know you are posting this -- not to try and proselytize -- but to explain Christianity and educate people who want to learn more.

But I have to tell you that this quote of yours I've focused on is utter crap. The holocaust was not caused by atheism or Nietzschean philosophy. Far from it. It was deeply rooted in European anti-semitism that predates Nietzsche. Jews were never citizens of the German nation-state (nor many other European nations), and were barred from having many professions. How Jews might become citizens and a part of the Christian nation-state was a question that existed long before Hitler, and was addressed by Karl Marx and Ludwig Feuerbach before Nietzsche was even born (to name just two examples). This is not to mention the vast political underpinnings and causes that lead to the Third Reich.

I'm sorry, but to state that the Holocaust was caused by atheism or naturalism is just a flat out lie, especially considering the fact the majority of Germans during Hitler's reign were, in fact, practicing Christians.


Fair enough. There are points I'd comment on, but for the sake of avoiding a pointless argument/debate, as well as a lengthy philosophical and political essay as to how and why WWII happened, I will simply relent.


I would like to return to that question in particular though because I can't help but notice I answered it without actually answering it. Why did God allow the Holocaust, or any great calamity for that matter? It mainly has to do with the consequences of free will. The point I was making in my previous comment, was not to point fingers, but to point out that it was ultimately Man's Will for that to happen, not God's Will. Naturally the next question becomes "Ok, but if God is all powerful and all loving, why allow wicked men to have their way?" We must understand that the supreme ethic God has granted us, is the ethic of Love; It is the pinnacle of all intellectual and emotional alignment. So when God created the world He had 4 options:

-Never create the world.
-Create a world where there is no such thing as Good or Evil; An immoral world.
-Create a world where we can only choose Good; A world without free will.
-Create this world, where we are given the sacred right of our free will, knowing that some would even choose Evil.

Out of all these options, notice how this world is the only one in which love is possible. Love is not possible in an immoral world, and love is not possible in a world where we are preprogrammed robots unable to choose. It might not be the best possible world, but it may be the means to the best possible world, because we must also remember that God is also all knowing, and eternity exists. Death is not the end.

Now on to the question of how and why calamity comes about. God shows us in the Bible, that when enough people in a city, region, or nation willingly choose to turn away from Him, there comes a point where He finally says "So be it" and withdraws His protection from them, after exhausting every attempt to reconcile and call them back to Him. Many people who reject God (ironically) become angry with God for abandoning them in such times of distress, but what most don't understand is that it is they who abandoned Him. There are several times in the Bible where God expresses His frustration with Israel because they practiced immorality, and then complained to Him when bad things started happening as a result: "What more could have been done for my vineyard than I have done for it? When I looked for good grapes, why did it yield only bad?" (Isaiah 5:4) "Yet the Israelites say, 'The way of the Lord is not just.' Are my ways unjust, people of Israel? Is it not your ways that are unjust? (Ezekiel 18:29) "But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices. If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! (Psalm 81:11-14) "I have loved you, says the Lord. And yet you say, ‘How have you loved us?’" (Malachai 1:1)

So here's the bottom line: If we willingly break off our fellowship with God, and choose to reject Him from our lives, we cannot expect Him to honor a promise we ourselves have already broken. If a life without God is what we want, a life without God is what we get. "The Lord is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you." (2 Chronicles 15:2)
Last edited by ~{Red}~ on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:12 am
Ah but this is getting a bit heavy. Lets talk about something more uplifting. Lets talk about you. Yes, YOU reader on the other side of the screen. Allow me to make a feeble attempt to express your infinite value as an individual.

You are a one-of-a-kind individual created in the image of God, with the very purpose of becoming a child of the living God. There was never anyone like you in history, there is no one like you now, and there is never going to be anyone like you ever again. You are like a very singular gem, that cannot be found anywhere else in both the known and unknown universe. All the riches of the world pale in comparison to your value. Even if I were to spend the rest of the day explaining to you the beauty of your soul, I could not do so adequately. No other worldview pays you this great compliment. No other worldview gives you this great hope.

In every other worldview, life precedes love. In the Christian worldview, love precedes life. In every other worldview, you earn your way into salvation on the basis of merit. In the Christian worldview, you are already forgiven, because the blood of God Himself was shed on your behalf, you need only turn to Him and receive it.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out." (John 6:37)

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

"Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." (1 John 3:2)
Image
User avatar
It's a Cat. I Think
It's a Cat. I Think
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:43 pm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:56 am
Red I have a question for you I have struggled with. In the New Testament, several times, Paul states that Christians who are not Jewish converts should not follow the laws of the Jewish religion. Off the top of my head, he mentions it in Romans, and the debate between him and Peter is in Acts. I know Paul reiterates this in some of his other letters, but I do not know off the top of my head. Therefore, I have two questions.

Why are books of Jewish law still included in the Christian Old testament? Is it simply to preserve the canon of the Hebrew bible? Is it just for historical context of the growth of the Christian religion?

Second -- and this one is more puzzling for me -- why do certain judgmental Christians still rely on Jewish law for their arguments against homosexuality? I mean, the oft quoted passage is from Leviticus, but several times Paul is telling us that we should not under any circumstances follow those laws. It seems, incredibly, uneducated and unchristian to me to therefore rely on that part of the Bible for your argument when the bible later says not to follow those laws.
You're so vain. You probably think this signature's about you.
User avatar
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:59 pm
Fredo_Corleone wrote:Red I have a question for you I have struggled with. In the New Testament, several times, Paul states that Christians who are not Jewish converts should not follow the laws of the Jewish religion. Off the top of my head, he mentions it in Romans, and the debate between him and Peter is in Acts. I know Paul reiterates this in some of his other letters, but I do not know off the top of my head. Therefore, I have two questions.

Why are books of Jewish law still included in the Christian Old testament? Is it simply to preserve the canon of the Hebrew bible? Is it just for historical context of the growth of the Christian religion?

Second -- and this one is more puzzling for me -- why do certain judgmental Christians still rely on Jewish law for their arguments against homosexuality? I mean, the oft quoted passage is from Leviticus, but several times Paul is telling us that we should not under any circumstances follow those laws. It seems, incredibly, uneducated and unchristian to me to therefore rely on that part of the Bible for your argument when the bible later says not to follow those laws.

Certainly. The Old Testament as a whole is part of the Bible, yes to preserve the canon, but also because The Old and New Testament compliment one another. The Old Testament affirms the New Testament, and the New Testament fulfills the Old Testament. There are many times where the Old Testament is reffered to in the New, and the works of Christ are a fulfillment of the numerous prophecies of the Old. The Old Testament does however, still carry importance as I'll explain below.


Now concerning the Law of the Old Testament: Paul isn't saying the Law is a bad thing, in fact he says it is important because it teaches us what is morally right and wrong: “What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, 'You shall not covet.'” (Romans 7:7)

What Paul is pointing out to be wrong, is for us to continue attempting to earn our salvation by keeping the Law when we have already failed to do so. We are redeemed by faith in Jesus, not by faith in our works: “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.” (Galatians 2:15-16)

The part of the Law, in which we as Christians no longer live by, are the very heavy means of atonement such as animal sacrifice and death penalties, as well as the ceremonial laws like not eatting pork. We do not do this because we no longer need them. Why? Because “there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1-2) Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant. (Hebrews 9:15)

This is what I meant in the "Morality" section of my original post, when I said my desire to do what is right is not a means for my salvation, it is an expression of it. Having that peace of mind, knowing I am forgiven, and enjoying the company of a truly loving God in my life, makes me want to do that which is righteous. That runs far deeper into my being, than trying to keep a law for the sake of justification.


If you have the time, here is Galatians chapter 3 which might help shed more light on the matter. In the context of Galatians, Paul is rebuking the Galatians because they are attempting to go back to living by the rules of The Law, rather than living by faith in Jesus:
Spoiler
Galatians Chapter 3

Faith or Works of The Law

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.” Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.” The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.” Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.” He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.


The Law and The Promise

Brothers and sisters, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case.The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,” meaning one person, who is Christ. What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

Why, then, was the law given at all? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was given through angels and entrusted to a mediator. A mediator, however, implies more than one party; but God is one.

Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.


Children of God

Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

And here is Ravi addressing a question concerning the Law, which I have listed above but here it is for your convenience:
Spoiler
Image
User avatar
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 pm
Location: wherever my phone/laptop is
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Misleading thread title OP. It implies that this thread is just going to be a discussion about Christian philosophy, but you're clearly more interested in peddling Christian apologetics. Those aren't the same thing. Also to offer a bit of advice, if you're looking to reach out to non Christians(which you obviously are) starting off your post by presupposing the whole premise that your prospective readers reject via some janky analogy that sounds like it came out of a chick tract isn't the best way to do it.
User avatar
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:12 pm
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 am
Beelzebub wrote:Misleading thread title OP. It implies that this thread is just going to be a discussion about Christian philosophy, but you're clearly more interested in peddling Christian apologetics. Those aren't the same thing. Also to offer a bit of advice, if you're looking to reach out to non Christians(which you obviously are) starting off your post by presupposing the whole premise that your prospective readers reject via some janky analogy that sounds like it came out of a chick tract isn't the best way to do it.

Not quite; The title is "The Christian Wolrdview Explained" and I believe Christian Apologetics are one of the best, less off-putting means of doing so for a neutral or hostile audience, apart from sincere kindness of course. I will agree on your second comment though, I am well aware that my introduction is of poor quality. The reason why I bothered introducing Dr.Zacharias and Professor Lennox, is because I do not think for a moment that I am fit to properly handle this weighty topic. I wish someone smarter and more qualified was here to give you the presentation you deserve, but alas, its just me.
Last edited by ~{Red}~ on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Next

Return to Formal Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest