The Christian Worldview Explained

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:32 am
One major reason why Christianity isn't as violent anymore is that it no longer has to be to get its way. They don't have to burn heretics or launch crusades to become the world majority because they already are. The most powerful nation on Earth is controlled by Christians, and they are scared shitless of that ever changing.

However, with so many damn denominations of Christianity, many Christians are in this ideal spot where they have the power of a majority but all the persecution narrative of a minority, as any given Christian technically is one due to the sheer amount of people who aren't "real Christians" according to them.
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image
Come on, Get Serious!
Come on, Get Serious!
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:55 am
I think this entire thread is retarded
"TH' LEGEN'RY BANDIT TURNED 'ERO"
HENSHIN A-GO-GO, BABY!
HENSHIN A-GO-GO, BABY!
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:15 pm
Wisdom wrote:I think this entire thread is retarded

This is going to be fun...

Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:38 pm
I suppose

still less so than blue scorpion vs ice golem tbf
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:58 pm
Wisdom wrote:I think this entire thread is retarded

Religion's a hell of a drug
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:57 pm
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:06 pm
sorry but I wanna address this real quick
Iron Joe wrote:One major reason why Christianity isn't as violent anymore is that it no longer has to be to get its way. They don't have to burn heretics or launch crusades to become the world majority because they already are. The most powerful nation on Earth is controlled by Christians, and they are scared shitless of that ever changing.

having leaders that publically identify as being christian != being a christian nation. You don't need to be a genius to realize that a good amount of politicans profess faith mainly for the sake of apperances.

none of these powerful nations are theocracies, they all operate under secular governments. Also, plenty of them, like switzerland, sweden, england etc have huge segments of their populations who identify as secular.

christianity is basically a vestigal tail at this point. It's a big part of western history but its usefulness and popularity are dwindling.
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:34 pm
Christianity is slowly losing its grip on America, and like I said, Christians are scared shitless of that. If you need proof that it ever had such a grip, consider that Christianity is literally the only reason why gay marriage was ever an issue, and in some states still is. Name one non-religious reason to oppose gay marriage. There is none. I may not live to see it, but America will know true freedom some day, despite the mightiest efforts of the Christians.

And while yes, plenty of politicians who claim to be Christians only do so for the sake of appearances, consider the fact that they have to, and why that's so. The chances of any politician attaining any decent political office, especially the Presidency, are basically shot if he doesn't at least pretend to be a Christian. That's why there's so much fearmongering about Obama being a Muslim, and why there's all this about how a retarded Cheeto is God's plan for America just because he doesn't like Obamacare or abortions, and why there was even some spook over Bernie being an Atheist or something.

It is utterly foolish to consider America a Christian nation, but I'm not the one who does. Most people I know offline do, including my dad. Just because we're not a Theocracy doesn't mean that's for lack of trying.
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:05 pm
Yes there are fervant Christians some of whom have great influence.

No that's not the reason for why witch hunts and inquisitions are no longer a thing in the western world. Christians had plenty of power and numbers back then too.

Joe I think you need to chill a bit with the /r/atheism browsing. You've done less actual discussing and more rattling off points that you've read/listened to somewhere. I can respect that you're living in a heavily religious part of the country and frustrated over that but try and keep things in perspective, and understand you're not gonna get anywhere by getting angry and laundry listing points you've heard in amazing atheist videos or whatever.
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:00 pm
So many assumptions! I quite rarely visit r/atheism, probably about three times in total, and every atrocity I list I learned in history class, not on the Internet. I've seen that damn God card played too many times, especially in politics. People need to realize that you can't put religion in the government without putting the government in religion. Nobody told me that. I figured it out for myself. It's pretty easy if you're willing to consider that just because someone claims to appeal to the right sky wizard doesn't mean they're unambiguously the good guys no matter what they do.
PreviousNext

Return to Formal Talk