Suicide

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.

Seal Fodder
Seal Fodder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:13 pm
Sorry if this has been talked about before but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I just wanted to hear some general opinions on the topic. Is it ever justifiable? Have you ever thought about it, or know anyone who has tried/succeeded? What kind of effect has it had on you? I know this is a little vague, but it's a pretty broad topic with a lot of aspects to discuss. Anyone want to chime in with their opinions?
Admin In Smoke And Shadows
Admin In Smoke And Shadows
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:05 pm
This is a very sensitive topic. So if anyone does happen to respond, please be sure to be good, little minions.
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:09 pm
LightningandIce wrote:Sorry if this has been talked about before but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I just wanted to hear some general opinions on the topic. Is it ever justifiable? Have you ever thought about it, or know anyone who has tried/succeeded? What kind of effect has it had on you? I know this is a little vague, but it's a pretty broad topic with a lot of aspects to discuss. Anyone want to chime in with their opinions?

I've had three personal experiences with someone I know commenting suicide, an uncle (age 17ish), military "co-worker" (age 24ish) and a friend (age 32ish). Uncle did it because losing gf, soldier because of gf/ptsd, and friend due self guilt in his perceived role in his friend's murder.

All where unexpected suicides that were short sightes in ending their pain. The murder guilt thing was a lot more complicated but everyone agrees it was stupid to kill him self or someone else killing his friend.

To sum it up, suicide is a long term fix to a relatively short term painful time of life..... from what I've experienced.

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
It's a Cat. I Think
It's a Cat. I Think
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:54 am
I've struggled with suicidal thoughts quite frequently. I do now. Seriously, I'm in a period of pretty intense suicidal thoughts, and they had gotten worse enough I was forced to go to the ER and was hospitalized in January. What I can say is: absolutely a mental illness. I mean, certainly, I have a very severe mental illness (I have bipolar disorder). While so much of the pain that is leading to this right now is heartbreak, I don't know if the pain would be this intense if I did not have bipolar disorder. In fact, a psychiatrist once told me that I feel emotions more strongly than the average person. I disagree with fire hazard in that this isn't really a short period in my life. I know that this is going to go on for a long time. I can't look at someone who commits suicide and not think that they were ill.

It is, without a doubt, an incredibly painful thing and has humungous consequences for one's friends and families. As someone who has attempted suicide in the past, and doesn't think he will die of natural causes ( :( ) I don't do it because I know how much it would hurt those around me. With that said, I'm really open to physician assisted suicide for chronic mental illness, with the caveat it is absolute last line. I say this because I know that there are people for whom the weight is too much to bear, and I don't see it as different from people who chose to end the pain they feel from terminal cancer.

But I also need to point out that the way I am addressing suicide is from a pretty narrow, individual, mental health lens. When you look at the use of suicide in different cultures, like in cases of kamikaze and seppuku, there is an entirely different motivation and meaning. Even -- well, I'll go ahead and say it -- with suicide bombers too. The context is just so different.
You're so vain. You probably think this signature's about you.

Return to Formal Talk