Antonin Scalia, dead at 79

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.

Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:28 pm
Antonin Scalia, Supreme Court judge appointed by Reagan, is dead.

Scalia was by a wide margin the most conservative justice on the bench. WHat this means is that as of right now, and according to Republicans, for the remainder of Barack Obamas term, the Supreme court is now 4-4 split between Liberals and conservatives. For all practical effects, this means that for the next year, and likely beyond that with Democrats taking the Presidency again, America does not have a Supreme Court in any practical sense.

FOr those of you who don't know much about him, Antonin Scalia was the man who said an innocent man should be sentenced to death anyway, that torture is justified because of its use in the TV show 24, and that black students should be put in less advanced schools instead of universities because he felt they would do better there.
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 pm
"All those deadbeats in the Supreme Court and HE's the one who dies?" - My dad

yeesh, dad

Anyway, you definitely don't seem to be fond of the guy. I'm not very knowledgeable about him myself, but I really don't like how Republicans are responding to this. The Founding Fathers intended for the Supreme Court to be above politics. It's exactly why judges are appointed for life and chosen by the President: so that they don't have to worry about votes.

In that sense, whether a Supreme Court justice is Democrat or Republican shouldn't matter, since their job is just to decide whether or not this or that is constitutional. Unfortunately, this doesn't really seem to be the case as of now.
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:31 pm
Iron Joe wrote:"All those deadbeats in the Supreme Court and HE's the one who dies?" - My dad

yeesh, dad

Anyway, you definitely don't seem to be fond of the guy. I'm not very knowledgeable about him myself, but I really don't like how Republicans are responding to this. The Founding Fathers intended for the Supreme Court to be above politics. It's exactly why judges are appointed for life and chosen by the President: so that they don't have to worry about votes.

In that sense, whether a Supreme Court justice is Democrat or Republican shouldn't matter, since their job is just to decide whether or not this or that is constitutional. Unfortunately, this doesn't really seem to be the case as of now.

Unfortunately, it hasn't been the case for a long time. What I find funny is that the GOP seems to be acting on the assumption that somebody they like will actually be the next president elected. What if Clinton, Sanders or even (god forbid) Trump wins? They're going to look even more foolish. I've not always been a conservative and don't consider myself one now, and I've never really been a liberal or a fan of the Democrats, but especially this time around the GOP really is not looking like anything of a viable option to even be a party in opposition, and I don't care how much you love one party or the other, a one-party state is never a good option. The GOP really just needs to kick their extremist wing to the curb in order to prevent the entire party going down with the ship, or at least losing an entire generation. One look at my facebook wall shows me that they already have a LONG way to go to make my generation anything more than a Democratic foregone conclusion.

On a more on-topic note, I have been hearing that Obama is considering conservatives for the post. We'll see what happens if he actually nominates one, whether the GOP will be stupid enough to stonewall that nomination or find some excuse to actually do the smart thing and confirm them.
Let's Play Sonic Spinball! Part 5: Showdown 2 - The Battle

Return to Formal Talk