Satoru Iwata dead at Age 55

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:27 pm
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/13/ ... ont%20page

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata, one of the main faces of modern Nintendo and host of the company's frequent Nintendo Directs, has passed away at the age of 55. He was a huge figure not just within Nintendo, but the entire gaming world. He will be missed.
An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:33 pm
I'm sure we all know this, but in case you didn't know, Satoru Iwata, CEO of Nintendo passed away at the age of 55 on July 11th.

Here's the kotaku article.
http://kotaku.com/nintendos-president-h ... 1717386412
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:26 pm
Surprised to hear the news the minute I heard them. Man, such a sad thing to hear. R.I.P. Iwata-san. May you drive that Rainbow Road in Heaven.
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:58 pm
Damn, and he was still so young... Sad news indeed, rest in peace mr Iwata
Mr. ChaoticMeltdown is one rad dude
Two-time g1AfterDark Award-winner.
These Shades are Worth More than your Life
These Shades are Worth More than your Life
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:10 am
I was shocked when I read about this pretty much the first thing in the morning. Nintendo has been a huge influence to me and since Iwata has been leading said company during most of my life, he has been as well.

I always knew that I'd miss seeing him when he'd eventually retire or pass away but I never thought I'd feel very strongly about his death when the time comes. Seems like I was wrong because I did get a bit teary-eyed over the news, which has pretty much never happened over someone I haven't even met before.

Rest in piece, Mr. President.
Faithful g1
Faithful g1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:51 am
He died doing what he loved.
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:06 am
Really sad news. Iwata has to be one of the few video game CEOs I genuinely respect.

He...

-Began his career with the intent of going into technology and video games (even against his father's wishes) as opposed to business.

-Had actual experience producing and programming games before becoming Nintendo's CEO.

-Made Earthbound just straight up work.
-Made Pokemon's battle system function on the N64 in Pokemon Stadium with no documents to help him whatsoever.
-Compressed the code of Pokemon Gold and Silver so that GameFreak could add the Kanto region.
-Debugged Super Smash Bros. Melee by himself so it could release on time for the launch of the GameCube.

-Seemed genuinely passionate about the work his employees did (See just about any Iwata Asks interview)

-Seemed genuinely passionate about video games himself (See all the games he has work on, his antics in the Nintendo Directs, and this quote from him... "When I first started making Kirby, there was a kindergarten right next door. I'll never forget how moved I was the first time I saw doodles there of Kirby. That may have been the first time I realized that the world would recognize what we had made. Because of that feeling, Kirby is special to me.").

-Willingly took a 50% cut out of his salary when the Wii U wasn't doing well so he could drop the Wii U's price and wouldn't have to fire anybody.

and...

-Did what he set out to do by more or less making games that were fun for everybody.

I think it's safe to say he will be missed.

EDIT: Oh, apparently he also insisted on this intro being included in Kirby's Adventure. I'm going to think of him every time I see that from now on.
"Once I'm done using this car for hacky sack, I'm kicking Izaya's ass!"
An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:29 am
Here's a small list of the things Iwata has done besides running Nintendo since 2002

He was a developer for both Balloon Fight and Earthbound
He was a founding member of HAL Labs and worked on many Kirby games
He was also a founding member of Creatures Inc. and assisted in the development of Pokemon Gold and Silver
Even after running the company, he assisted in the development of games in the Mario series, Zelda series, and Animal Crossing series

And that's scratching the surface of the things he's done.
Faithful g1
Faithful g1
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:49 am
MLDKF wrote:Here's a small list of the things Iwata has done besides running Nintendo since 2002

He was a developer for both Balloon Fight and Earthbound
He was a founding member of HAL Labs and worked on many Kirby games
He was also a founding member of Creatures Inc. and assisted in the development of Pokemon Gold and Silver
Even after running the company, he assisted in the development of games in the Mario series, Zelda series, and Animal Crossing series

And that's scratching the surface of the things he's done.
http://i.imgur.com/ABgtGfC.jpg

Here is everything that he did
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:10 am
My question is how will this effect Nintendo. Are they going to be open to more common game functions like online play? You know how difficult it's been for Nintendo to play with online strangers. Basically wondering if their direction/mind set will shift slightly towards the better.

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
Next

Return to Formal Talk