Meditation

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 pm
Meditation..... do you do it or have you tried it?

Short story, did a 10 min try for shits and giggles. Felt good (more focused) and watch this video
Spoiler
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5Qv9tUObI[/youtube]

Went on to read the book and have meditated for about 30 days now and bought a year subscription to the Headspace app. Just curious if anyone else's experience with meditation.

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:08 pm
The balance between meditation and falling asleep is a difficult trapeze act to master. :ugeek:
Let's Herp-a-Derp on this Thingy-meh-Jiggy my Fuzzy Wuzzy!
Spoiler
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:56 am
Tried it before during college. I felt so relaxed, so radiant. Now, I hardly find the time to try. Hell, even though I still remember some of the exercises, my mind is all jumbled because of work or other things on my mind. Maybe it's time I try to do some soon.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 am
A Zero 2 Hero wrote:The balance between meditation and falling asleep is a difficult trapeze act to master. :ugeek:

I've caught my head nodding forwards a few times before but over all I don't have too much trouble falling asleep when I mediate. Course I have a guided session so that makes things a little harder to fall asleep to.

You'll be a Hero, in Time
You'll be a Hero, in Time
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:50 am
Meditation's fun. I don't do it nearly as often as I should, though. It's especially good if you get to do it outside, especially now that spring is in full swing.
If I mess up a calculation, or say something that is outright incorrect, please. Tell me. Don't be rude about it. Don't make a big fuss. Just say "Hey, man. You're wrong." And then tell me why.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:45 am
I must admit I was missed informed on what I thought meditation was. I love to think of it as flexing my mental muscle so that it gets strong with time. As someone with years of strength training I full get that analogy.

You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 am
I've been meditating for over 10 years now. I even know how to astral project while meditating. It's very relaxing and being an empath it helped me build stamina against negative emotions.
Seal Fodder
Seal Fodder
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:58 am
We were big into Igniatian Spirituality at my high school so we did meditation in religion class like once a month. Really, what I've kinda liked about being Catholic and going to schools like that is the ability to use more abstract practices to get a closer relationship with God. I had it really good in senior year, like hard to describe but I could feel something else living my life with me. I've lost if after a while. Hopefully i can get back at it.
Life is a game, guys. It's okay to take a break and pick up where you left off. 私はそこに行くことができます。4 2 0 V/H/S
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:21 am
Meditation helped me a lot as a martial artist. I was really nervous when I first started, but it helped me gain a sense of confidence, and noticed I started to get better in the physical aspects.

I still use it occasionally when I have trouble sleeping, using the Temple of Time theme from Zelda. Because I'm a huge Zelda weeb like that :lol:

Seriously though, it's really relaxing. I recommend trying it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Hf1-lQElE
"You are kind of weird, and that's okay. Normal people are boring."

The most BAMF momma's boy who ever lived
It's a Cat. I Think
It's a Cat. I Think
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:35 am
I don't like it.

I don't like when people ascribe all this teleological emphasis to it. Yes, meditation is central to many Eastern religions. If you are a genuinely pious buddhist who isn't appropriating Eastern culture, then obviously I am not going to be critical of you. Nor am I going to be critical of someone who is getting benefit from meditation.

What I am critical of is when people try and shove it down my throat about how wonderful it is and how it can make all my problems go away. I know someone who does this. He has completely fetishized the concepts of Eastern religion (probably bastardized them too) and is obsessed with this mindset of pure nothingness and nothing being real, and meditating to tap into this. The fact he is able to get something out of it is fine, but the fact he is convinced I need to gets on my nerves.

Let's take meditation outside of the religious framework. In psychological counseling, there is a coping practice they teach called mindfulness. It isn't just something you do but sort of predicated on this belief that thoughts will pass if you don't think about them, and to just experience your thoughts without any judgement or negativity to let them pass. So when you practice mindfulness, you sort of meditate trying to let the thoughts leave your mind. This is what I understand meditation is like. The fact that they use it in counseling shows that it does work! But only for certain people.

I don't have the kind of mind where I can meditate. I do struggle with many issues that people do use meditation to successfully cope with, but because of my mind it just doesn't work for me. Having bipolar disorder, if I am suffering duress I can't just let things run their course in my mind until they pass. They won't, the very act of the thoughts running their course is flawed and skewed. It is the thoughts AND the ways the thoughts are coming about and moving that are problems. I'm not saying pills are the only solution (though they are essential in bipolar disorder), but there are other techniques that work for me better.
You're so vain. You probably think this signature's about you.
Next

Return to Formal Talk