Meditation

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:05 am
Fredo_Corleone wrote:I don't like it.

I don't like when people ascribe all this teleological emphasis to it. Yes, meditation is central to many Eastern religions. If you are a genuinely pious buddhist who isn't appropriating Eastern culture, then obviously I am not going to be critical of you. Nor am I going to be critical of someone who is getting benefit from meditation.

What I am critical of is when people try and shove it down my throat about how wonderful it is and how it can make all my problems go away. I know someone who does this. He has completely fetishized the concepts of Eastern religion (probably bastardized them too) and is obsessed with this mindset of pure nothingness and nothing being real, and meditating to tap into this. The fact he is able to get something out of it is fine, but the fact he is convinced I need to gets on my nerves.

Let's take meditation outside of the religious framework. In psychological counseling, there is a coping practice they teach called mindfulness. It isn't just something you do but sort of predicated on this belief that thoughts will pass if you don't think about them, and to just experience your thoughts without any judgement or negativity to let them pass. So when you practice mindfulness, you sort of meditate trying to let the thoughts leave your mind. This is what I understand meditation is like. The fact that they use it in counseling shows that it does work! But only for certain people.

I don't have the kind of mind where I can meditate. I do struggle with many issues that people do use meditation to successfully cope with, but because of my mind it just doesn't work for me. Having bipolar disorder, if I am suffering duress I can't just let things run their course in my mind until they pass. They won't, the very act of the thoughts running their course is flawed and skewed. It is the thoughts AND the ways the thoughts are coming about and moving that are problems. I'm not saying pills are the only solution (though they are essential in bipolar disorder), but there are other techniques that work for me better.

Yeah, meditation isn't for everyone and it shouldn't ever be forced.
"You are kind of weird, and that's okay. Normal people are boring."

The most BAMF momma's boy who ever lived
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:00 pm
It's nice, I should probably do it more often. I'm trying to learn how to lucid dream so meditating more will probably help with that as well.

Zodia195 wrote:I even know how to astral project while meditating.

Have you ever done an experiment(eg. going in another room and finding a specific object or detail about that object that you were unaware of, and then while you're awake actually going in the room to verify that that object is indeed there or the detail about the object is accurate) in order to verify that you're not just having a hallucination?
It's a Cat. I Think
It's a Cat. I Think
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:04 am
Beelzebub wrote: I'm trying to learn how to lucid dream so meditating more will probably help with that as well.

I'm not sure I understand the appeal of lucid dreaming. The best dreams are crazy ones that you aren't in control of.
You're so vain. You probably think this signature's about you.
Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:51 pm
I always got the impression that if you're lucid dreaming, then you can will anything to happen. Which obviously has decent consequences.

Though it is your subconscious and you may just pursue something without ever getting to it.

The best dreams are crazy ones that you aren't in control of.

How so? Those can get scary quickly.
It's a Cat. I Think
It's a Cat. I Think
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:05 am
Slenderfire wrote:
The best dreams are crazy ones that you aren't in control of.

How so? Those can get scary quickly.

They go beyond what your conscious mind can think up. They are new, surprising, and exciting. I'm not saying ALL unexpected dreams are amazing, but the most amazing ones are not something you think up on your own.
You're so vain. You probably think this signature's about you.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:23 pm
The Benedictine (Catholic) monks at the monastery connected to my college practice a form of meditation on Biblical scripture called lectio divina in which you read a Bible passage slowly a few times, focusing on a different part of the passage each time, then silently reflect on the passage for an understanding of its message, then pray for allowing God and the message of the passage to become part of your life, and then contemplate/rest in the presence of God. I've tried it a few times myself and for a while tried to do it with portions of daily Mass readings. It's not a meditation that is meant to "clear" one's mind, as this form of meditation does require some active thought and reflection (i.e., the prayer portion), though it does help to provide calm and inner peace, I find. It's just a shame that I've never really been able to make it a solidly regular thing, since it doesn't need to take long to do. On average, my meditations would last about 20 minutes.
Let's Play Sonic Spinball! Part 5: Showdown 2 - The Battle
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:30 pm
I've been on a streakfor meditating every day for 30+ days. I use the Headspace app. I got a free month code if anyone wants it.

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
Previous

Return to Formal Talk