Question I have about flame wars.

Politics, Social Issues, Religion, Philosophy & other Serious Topics Only.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:09 am
Why is it so bad to have "flame wars" nowadays? I'm thirty now and when I first starting using chat rooms and social media I was 12. Debates, no matter how stupid or heated they got, used to be the best part of the internet. The most entertaining part as well. The anonymity meant you could let all your frustrations, opinions, and anger out. Seemed to be then maybe some people got butt-hurt, but most people shrugged it off and replied in kind. And more people understood written sarcasm as well, but that could be attributed to demographics (wealthy were more educated and likely to use computers and internet...blah,blah,blah). Nowadays, thanks to modern social media you don't really have anonymity unless you really try at it, and offending people isn't funny. It's almost criminal. I don't understand why we would want our last place to speak our mind, the internet, (even if we want to be completely belligerent) , to be regulated and integrated into our personal lives. With the advent of ever-watching big brother tech, anonymity on the internet and free speech was our only and last safe haven. Nowadays you can't even handle a family dispute with fists because the law is everywhere. Still, with all that said, why is it so bad to argue with people (people you don't know and probably won't ever know) online?
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 am
The problem with "flame wars" is that a majority (or aleast a majority of the ones I see) of them are started by people who don't beleive in what they are saying and are just trying to hurt people or get them riled up.

Also, the anonymity is an issue as well (again my opinion). I only post things I would say to someone's face because I know there can be consequences to thing I say. I say that you should be allowed to say what you want but you should also know that people may not like you anymore. anonymity should only really be used when reporting a crime or something like that to officals that way the consequences of doing so don't get you killed.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm
Flame wars start one of two ways, some dude gets buttfrustrate because someone (usually passive-aggressively) disagrees with what he said, said user then calls them a "fucking muffin" etc, and then goes on a mad rant. That, or an obvious troll calls X or Y shit, then the obvious troll gets in a flame war with someone too stupid to realize that they've been tricked. If you want to have the freedom to use strong language to call someone out for being a fucking retard for having a different unimportant opinion to you, or disagreeing with your own unimportant opinion, then go and head over to /v/

I mean, if you want to argue in a less civil way with a bunch of teenagers, structure your posts like this
i cant believe that anyone actually likes that garbage lol

notice the use of a lowercase "i" rather than the more formal and normative "I" which portrays that you think it isn't worth the time to type a correct reply, the same can be said about the casual "lol" at the end, accentuating just how pointless and stupid you view their opinion as.

If your worry is mainly about anonymity, then just give out less information. I don't hide very much of my online life from my social life, if you could be bothered you could find out where I lived and send me horsecocks through the post. And, if you're worried about making your internet name look bad, then you're an idiot. I try and be a reasonably decent guy online, but I don't give two shits if some stranger in a different country doesn't like me because I called someone a basic bitch for having an opinion that differs from my own.

also flame wars are fucking dumb, get old, people hold beef for fucking text online, and it shits up forums
A Smooth Criminal
A Smooth Criminal
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:37 pm
SUCK IT cupcake. YOUR OPINION SUCKS. I FUCKED YER MOM
Spoiler
Cyrax wrote:oh...well, shit. I'm stupid.

JohnnyFarrar wrote:Mex is awful and anyone who thinks otherwise should feel bad.

Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:28 am
pre10do64 wrote:Why is it so bad to have "flame wars" nowadays? I'm thirty now and when I first starting using chat rooms and social media I was 12. Debates, no matter how stupid or heated they got, used to be the best part of the internet. The most entertaining part as well. The anonymity meant you could let all your frustrations, opinions, and anger out. Seemed to be then maybe some people got butt-hurt, but most people shrugged it off and replied in kind. And more people understood written sarcasm as well, but that could be attributed to demographics (wealthy were more educated and likely to use computers and internet...blah,blah,blah). Nowadays, thanks to modern social media you don't really have anonymity unless you really try at it, and offending people isn't funny. It's almost criminal. I don't understand why we would want our last place to speak our mind, the internet, (even if we want to be completely belligerent) , to be regulated and integrated into our personal lives. With the advent of ever-watching big brother tech, anonymity on the internet and free speech was our only and last safe haven. Nowadays you can't even handle a family dispute with fists because the law is everywhere. Still, with all that said, why is it so bad to argue with people (people you don't know and probably won't ever know) online?

I question the same thing. I'll put Obisidan for example. I am personally not a fan of the company, but I respect those who are. Because I prefer Fallout 3 and KOTOR 1 over New Vegas and KOTOR 2, I have to be harshly insulted for playing them and liking them because Obsidian are a bunch of developers behind the first two Fallouts and I apparently have to love them because so.
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:41 am
pre10do64 wrote:Why is it so bad to have "flame wars" nowadays? I'm thirty now and when I first starting using chat rooms and social media I was 12. Debates, no matter how stupid or heated they got, used to be the best part of the internet. The most entertaining part as well. The anonymity meant you could let all your frustrations, opinions, and anger out. Seemed to be then maybe some people got butt-hurt, but most people shrugged it off and replied in kind. And more people understood written sarcasm as well, but that could be attributed to demographics (wealthy were more educated and likely to use computers and internet...blah,blah,blah). Nowadays, thanks to modern social media you don't really have anonymity unless you really try at it, and offending people isn't funny. It's almost criminal. I don't understand why we would want our last place to speak our mind, the internet, (even if we want to be completely belligerent) , to be regulated and integrated into our personal lives. With the advent of ever-watching big brother tech, anonymity on the internet and free speech was our only and last safe haven. Nowadays you can't even handle a family dispute with fists because the law is everywhere. Still, with all that said, why is it so bad to argue with people (people you don't know and probably won't ever know) online?

Dude you bring up some valid points. But I wonder if part of the problem is back then "trolls" were unknown and people generally speak, said what they said because they actually thought that. I also think it's because now you can take that war from a thread or chat room and directly attack/fuck with a person you have an argument with. If you look at old "flame wars" from like the mid 90's and look at what they are now I do think they are on different levels. I've always been one to love debating. So I too miss flame wars as they were a great way to pick a side and argue. Or just to find out how people looked at different sides of an issue.

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
Sun, I am Proud
Sun, I am Proud
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:36 am
Flame wars are useless and aren't actually fun because its not leading to anything good those who encourages such acts has a mental problem because I dont want to be looked upon as a bad guy to people I want to be looked upon as a person who is mature and intelligent and I've been around forums since 2005 and or mid way 2006 its not hard to stop such things to happen people just need to respect others.

Return to Formal Talk