Death Battle Season 04, What Worked And What Didn't

It's time for POSTING OPINIONS!

Moderator: Imperator100

Rising Dragon
Rising Dragon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:00 pm
So, we're a little over a month away from the arrival of Season 05 of Death Battle. To pass the time, I thought I'd ask you all what you thought about Death Battle Season 04.

As the team noted in the last DBC of 2017, they really wanted to do a lot of "fan requested fights." And we definitely got that in Lara vs. Nathan, Naruto vs. Ichigo, Smokey vs. McGruff, Sephiroth vs Vergil, and more.

Now, not every fight was gold for sure, but not every fight was trash either as I've seen some people say on these forums. So, to start off, answer these questions to show what you thought about Season 04.

1. What was your favorite fight in Season 04?
2. What was your least favorite fight in Season 04?
3. What do you think DB should improve for Season 05 (please don't say research, we could argue that to death...battle. lol) based on what you saw in Season 04?
4. Finally, grade Season 04 on a scale of 1-10.

And just so I can participate myself. My favorite fight was Megazord vs. Voltron, my least favorite was Android 18 vs. Captain Marvel. Not because of the mistakes, but rather, the DB itself showed Carol as an arrogant villain type, when that's not her at all. Also, I felt the voice actress for her was way off.

As for improvements, continue to make quality 2D DB's, this season had some good ones, and only Sub-Zero Glacius stood out as "lower quality" in my mind.

Grade? 8/10
PSYCHIC WATER DRAGON, THEREFORE BEST POKEMON
PSYCHIC WATER DRAGON, THEREFORE BEST POKEMON
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:21 pm
I liked Ichigo vs Naruto because I just wanted to see how they handled Ichigo with the stats.

I disliked Batman beyond vs 2099 spiderman felt like a waste of time.

They need to learn the difference between energy in newtons and tons of TNT.

Also it should always be fan requested, at least most of the time if they start doing Street fighter characters every month I'll chop their clocks off.
Spoiler
When no one pays attention to your shitposts but you carry on anyway

Spoiler
So Darwin was Wrong...
So Darwin was Wrong...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:23 pm
Is this thread necessary?

Rhetorical question. Answer is most likely no.
"It's not that I don't like it or that I hate it, it's that I don't like it and I hate it."

Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 pm
ToddTalk wrote:So, we're a little over a month away from the arrival of Season 05 of Death Battle. To pass the time, I thought I'd ask you all what you thought about Death Battle Season 04.

As the team noted in the last DBC of 2017, they really wanted to do a lot of "fan requested fights." And we definitely got that in Lara vs. Nathan, Naruto vs. Ichigo, Smokey vs. McGruff, Sephiroth vs Vergil, and more.

Now, not every fight was gold for sure, but not every fight was trash either as I've seen some people say on these forums. So, to start off, answer these questions to show what you thought about Season 04.

1. What was your favorite fight in Season 04?
2. What was your least favorite fight in Season 04?
3. What do you think DB should improve for Season 05 (please don't say research, we could argue that to death...battle. lol) based on what you saw in Season 04?
4. Finally, grade Season 04 on a scale of 1-10.

And just so I can participate myself. My favorite fight was Megazord vs. Voltron, my least favorite was Android 18 vs. Captain Marvel. Not because of the mistakes, but rather, the DB itself showed Carol as an arrogant villain type, when that's not her at all. Also, I felt the voice actress for her was way off.

As for improvements, continue to make quality 2D DB's, this season had some good ones, and only Sub-Zero Glacius stood out as "lower quality" in my mind.

Grade? 8/10

Might as well. Favourite fight was probably Seph vs Vergil. It felt like a return to form for Torrian after a string of mediocre fights. Having the right winner also helped. Least favourite fight is Scrooge vs SK. Overall poor research with bad jokes and a good, but not great fight (sucked seeing a character I really like lose too). Subs vs Glacius is probably worse, but Sub-zero is one of my favourite characters so I can’t be too mad, even if he really should have lost. Next year I want to see more series that haven’t been represented yet like tekken and jojo. Also, get some of the DBX animators to work on DB, because some of them are fantastic. Overall I would give this season a 7.5 out of 10.
Rising Dragon
Rising Dragon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm
justtemporaryyet wrote:
Might as well. Favourite fight was probably Seph vs Vergil. It felt like a return to form for Torrian after a string of mediocre fights. Having the right winner also helped. Least favourite fight is Scrooge vs SK. Overall poor research with bad jokes and a good, but not great fight (sucked seeing a character I really like lose too). Subs vs Glacius is probably worse, but Sub-zero is one of my favourite characters so I can’t be too mad, even if he really should have lost. Next year I want to see more series that haven’t been represented yet like tekken and jojo. Also, get some of the DBX animators to work on DB, because some of them are fantastic. Overall I would give this season a 7.5 out of 10.

I definitely agree about getting more "lesser known" franchises into it. I'm surprised that Tekken hasn't been in a DB yet. I would also like to see some "classic" characters get their due, like Samurai Jack, Sly Cooper, and others.
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:29 pm
Or reopen some old wounds and old grudges and do things like Mumm-Ra vs Skeletor, or TMNT vs Street Sharks, and other 90's stuff like Biker Mice from Mars vs. SWAT KATS. And perhaps we can go a season without a Nintendo or Sega character in it.
Unlimited Blade Works

Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:01 pm
DarthGeist wrote:Or reopen some old wounds and old grudges and do things like Mumm-Ra vs Skeletor, or TMNT vs Street Sharks, and other 90's stuff like Biker Mice from Mars vs. SWAT KATS. And perhaps we can go a season without a Nintendo or Sega character in it.

This season, there was only 1 Nintendo character and 1 sega character. It’s not like death battle is overusing them. Also, some characters are just too iconic to not use.
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:32 pm
justtemporaryyet wrote:This season, there was only 1 Nintendo character and 1 sega character. It’s not like death battle is overusing them. Also, some characters are just too iconic to not use.

Don't even try and defend their decisions. It's the epitome of laziness. They keep digging into the same sources and the same material to avoid having to put any effort in. There are easily hundreds of other franchises and tens of thousands of characters to be explored and used, and they keep coming back to the same shit over and over again.
Unlimited Blade Works

Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:22 am
DarthGeist wrote:
justtemporaryyet wrote:This season, there was only 1 Nintendo character and 1 sega character. It’s not like death battle is overusing them. Also, some characters are just too iconic to not use.

Don't even try and defend their decisions. It's the epitome of laziness. They keep digging into the same sources and the same material to avoid having to put any effort in. There are easily hundreds of other franchises and tens of thousands of characters to be explored and used, and they keep coming back to the same shit over and over again.

I would agree that they need to use a wider range of franchises, like resident evil or samurai jack, but DB still needs to get views and make money. They have to feature relatively popular characters, which happen to come from the same franchises. I’m sorry, but you’re never going to see obscure eroge visual novel character #12879 vs villain of an anime barely anybody has watched.
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 am
Jimbob The Fiddle wrote:They need to learn the difference between energy in newtons and tons of TNT.

The Newton isn't even a measurement of energy, it's a measurement of force, which is something else entirely.

JustTemporaryYet is right, Geist. Not using characters from two of if not the two most influential video game companies of all time just for the sake of variety - over the course of an entire season no less - is total nonsense. Especially when we're not even oversaturated with them to begin with. Could use more Namco tho.
I drew Ristar
Spoiler
Next

Return to DEATH BATTLE!