DB: What would you like me to improve on next year?

It's time for POSTING OPINIONS!

Moderator: Imperator100

Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:46 pm
Jetz-CVAnimation wrote:
comicking428 wrote:Anyways, question for CV if he sees it: Most people here are upset with Shovel Knight's portrayal in the recent fight, were moments like the handrubbing and wide eyes in the gold pit written in the script sent to you by SA?

Both those where my idea to add in, for comedic purposes of course. I go along with the script but if I see an opportunity to make people get a chuckle or add in more animation to a section I usually try to implement it. My intentions when adding those little details is to make people laugh, if anyone gets offended by that I am sorry I couldn't make you laugh.

It's alright to add comedic details to the combatants, but it shouldn't contradict their character and personality. When portraying a character, it's best not to make them OOC or else people wouldn't be able to recognize them. They'll be seeing a different person.
Avenging Gaara and getting a win for the franchise.
You'll be a Hero, in Time
You'll be a Hero, in Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:00 pm
As a whole, the animation was high quality. A bit of criticism though, might just be a pet peeve of mine, but I usually don't like it when a character is dominating another character for the majority of the fight and then just suddenly loses. It makes all the hits the loser landed feel pointless, when all the winner had to do was just whip out this move/weapon/etc. I know it's meant to be a twist of some kind, but it just makes the ending of the fight feel seriously abrupt.

Again, it was ultimately pretty sweet.
Hungryyyyy... must... feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:19 pm
The animation was good. Not blaming you for the verdict CV because you had no real say but the whole reasoning and verdict just killed the episode
Death Battle as of late:
12cheeper wrote:Next time is actually disgusting.
An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:31 pm
Jetz-CVAnimation wrote:
comicking428 wrote:Anyways, question for CV if he sees it: Most people here are upset with Shovel Knight's portrayal in the recent fight, were moments like the handrubbing and wide eyes in the gold pit written in the script sent to you by SA?

Both those where my idea to add in, for comedic purposes of course. I go along with the script but if I see an opportunity to make people get a chuckle or add in more animation to a section I usually try to implement it. My intentions when adding those little details is to make people laugh, if anyone gets offended by that I am sorry I couldn't make you laugh.

I realize I sound biased here and that comedy is subjective but, "it was a joke" doesn't actually justify this.
You went out of your way to make multiple custom sprites, all of which show Sk as completely out of character for the sake of a joke, when a character for whom these actions actually make sense is standing right there.
It outright contradicts character, when good comedy is generally derived from it.
And if the idea was too subvert expectation, then we have the secondary problem that expectations were never actually created.
He acts greedy, the entire fight, we don't say get something establishing him as not concerned with money, but them actually surprised and distracted by the sheer vastness of Scrooge's wealth.
And if the setup is supposed his entire character intro and the subvertion is "the fight" then we get the secondary problem that until he's in the money bin he never actually sees anything that he hasn't see several times before and in thoses circumstances he did not act like this, there's subverting expectation and then there's being illogical and that joke only goes so far without a straight man. It's a punchline without set up.
Am I makin sense here?
Anyway, that's just my take on it.

As for the fight itself, solid all round, inventive choreography, the "zooming in with higher quality sprites" worked really well here. Only problem I had was that the camera was a bit too zommed in at times.

Spoiler
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:49 pm
If Kratos ever returns to the show let's introduce him in the animation by having him prance around in a meadow wearing a tutu while cutesy animals sing around him. Get it because the actual Kratos wouldn't ever do something like that? Wouldn't that be HILARIOUS?
Party Demon
Party Demon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:33 pm
The animation for this episode was pretty good, the animation was solid and the fight itself was entertaining to watch.
Though, I wasn't fond of the scenes that portrayed SK as greedy. I understand they were added for comedy but they are really out of character for someone like him. It would've made more sense if Scrooge showed them instead.
Last edited by Super Smash 94 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 pm
Beelzebub wrote:If Kratos ever returns to the show let's introduce him in the animation by having him prance around in a meadow wearing a tutu while cutesy animals sing around him. Get it because the actual Kratos wouldn't ever do something like that? Wouldn't that be HILARIOUS?

Great idea, I'll keep that in mind!
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:44 pm
Jetz-CVAnimation wrote:
Beelzebub wrote:If Kratos ever returns to the show let's introduce him in the animation by having him prance around in a meadow wearing a tutu while cutesy animals sing around him. Get it because the actual Kratos wouldn't ever do something like that? Wouldn't that be HILARIOUS?

Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 pm
thomasj3-shura wrote:
Jetz-CVAnimation wrote:

I realize I sound biased here and that comedy is subjective but, "it was a joke" doesn't actually justify this.
You went out of your way to make multiple custom sprites, all of which show Sk as completely out of character for the sake of a joke, when a character for whom these actions actually make sense is standing right there.
It outright contradicts character, when good comedy is generally derived from it.
And if the idea was too subvert expectation, then we have the secondary problem that expectations were never actually created.
He acts greedy, the entire fight, we don't say get something establishing him as not concerned with money, but them actually surprised and distracted by the sheer vastness of Scrooge's wealth.
And if the setup is supposed his entire character intro and the subvertion is "the fight" then we get the secondary problem that until he's in the money bin he never actually sees anything that he hasn't see several times before and in thoses circumstances he did not act like this, there's subverting expectation and then there's being illogical and that joke only goes so far without a straight man. It's a punchline without set up.
Am I makin sense here?
Anyway, that's just my take on it.

As for the fight itself, solid all round, inventive choreography, the "zooming in with higher quality sprites" worked really well here. Only problem I had was that the camera was a bit too zommed in at times.

I cant really respond to your comment on a joke that didnt work for you and Shovel Knight fanatics, all I can say that I will keep your comment on it in mind in my future animations.

As for the zoom in section, yeah I tend to do that subconsciously at times. I enjoy having the camera right on the action but I forget that having some space is not really a bad thing.
A Smooth Criminal
A Smooth Criminal
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:50 pm
Jetz-CVAnimation wrote:

Spoiler

Also, Jetz, your sound effects have improved amazingly. Every sound effect for this fight felt meticulously placed, and it was overall really fitting for the fight theme.

Overall one of your most creative fights (and best fights) yet. Can't wait to see more dude.
Last edited by HomestuckLover on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nooooope.
PreviousNext

Return to DEATH BATTLE!