DB: What would you like me to improve on next year?

It's time for POSTING OPINIONS!

Moderator: Imperator100

Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:59 pm
Hey guys,
I'm Jetz aka CVAnimation and I'm one of the 2D animators during 2016's season of Death Battle and DBX. I am making this topic because while I did see a lot of improvements during this past year with my animation quality I would like to get a lot better at it and make all you as happy with the animation as much as I can. For that reason, I would like to hear what do you guys like and dislike about my work this year. I will link bellow the animations I worked on:

I did make and worked on Hillary VS Trump and Deadpool VS Pinkie Pie, but those where collaborations so it would be hard to tell if you are talking about my sections or Kayas' work. With that said, what would you guys like me to improve upon during 2017? While working on future animations I wanna keep in mind all the awesome people who watch it. Most of all thank you to all who gave me useful feedback and nice comments this year that helped me continue to get better. So please let me know what you think of my first year of Death Battle. You're all awesome!
Last edited by Jetz-CVAnimation on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Darwin was Wrong...
So Darwin was Wrong...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:06 pm
Respect for making a thread like this Jetz.

Might make a proper post later.
Steeling that shovel.
Spoiler
risinguppercut wrote:Is Abrams secretly a cute girl? IS EVERYONE OTHER THAN ME SECRETLY A CUTE GIRL?!

HomestuckLover wrote:Shad the greatest of waifus

Meddadius wrote:ShagMorgen
HENSHIN A-GO-GO, BABY!
HENSHIN A-GO-GO, BABY!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:21 pm
Out of all the animations you have done this year, my favourite and I think your best is probably Terry vs Ken. It nailed everything from the weight of the hits, the flow and intensity of the fight as well as the music used. In addition, it did not have too many awkward closeups on the pixelated sprites like Cammy vs Sonya did.

Also, I liked that you instead decided to use scenes from other games like Project x Zone to provide more dynamic closeups during that fight. Please do more of that, it really helped with Terry vs Ken and Zoro vs Erza near the climax of those fights.

So yeah, use Terry vs Ken as your measuring stick and you should do fine. Keep up the good work man, I look forward to seeing you improve and produce more awesome 2D fight animations :)
This is going to be fun...

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:40 pm
Jetz-CVAnimation wrote:Snip

First of all, major props for making a thread like this.
Anyway, going through the more recent ones:

-Cammy vs Sonya
The higher quality sprite close-ups were poorly integrated it was jarring and the shot holding on it for so long brought attention to it (Ken vs Terry improved on this), the crate throw and missile thing went on for too long and seemed to give major importance to something that seems kind of irrelevant, kinda seems to be a problem with this fight in general. Sprites clashed abit and the music was underwhelming and forgetable, could have been integrated better into the fight's pace. The Finisher was brutal, but failed but went on for abit too long (Zoro vs Erza's finisher worked better, was more to the point and surprising in it's brutallity)
-Ken vs Terry
Massive improvement over the previous one, pacing was spot on, that said: camera is abit too zoomed in, the lack of Terry engrish saddens me and a abit more of each fighter's moveset could have been integrated ( I need that Rising Tackeru). Finisher was surprising but a tad underwhelming (Again, zoro vs erza did this right).
-Zoro vs Erza
Those sword sound effects were terrible, the sword clashes didn't feel like they had power behind them (For an example of something better in this department see here: https://youtu.be/mGNWRaM3zX4?t=791, Not necessarily that much, but something better than a dry cough would be nice), Sound effects otherwise were decent enough, just anything to do with the metallic instruments of death that's underwhelming. Otherwise pretty solid all round.

Spoiler
A Smooth Criminal
A Smooth Criminal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:20 pm
Personally, tho this is admittedly unpopular, I actually liked Sonya vs Cammy the most out of your fights because I felt like it was particularly creative with what happened during the fight, from the drone going out of control to it running into a barrel and exploding to the blood rain being reminiscent of how the fatality is in MK9

It's one thing to have a simple head on fight where two characters pull out all the abilities they have on one another. It's stuff like hazardous backgrounds and setting changes (Scorpion vs Ryu for example) that really make a fight fun and memorable IMO.

Ken vs Terry is undoubtedly one of your best fights in terms of looks. The actual fight itself tho honestly was a tad boring since they were all stuck in one place. The fight's saving grace was the arena starting to take some damage and fall apart.

If you could keep up that kind of fun creativity from Cammy vs Sonya with the majorly improved animation skills since Cammy vs Sonya, then alot of your fights would kick even more ass than they already have been. (And that's saying something)

Nooooope.
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:47 pm
Your improvement was very noticeable over the course of the season. As mentioned earlier, I think the sound effects of some attacks and clashes were weak. This was very apparent in the Zoro vs Erza fight (my favorite of yours so far). The sounds of huge impacts and collisions go a long way to making a good animations into great ones. Keep improving and work on the sound effects some more and I think we can see a return to the great DB animations of past seasons
Last edited by metabro on Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"People do not fear God. Fear itself is God"
Head for the Garden of Madness!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:48 pm
Pros:
  • You have a good sense of creativity when it comes to fights where you can let that shine. Ken and Terry don't have too much you could mix up with, but the climax of Zoro VS Erza where they jump across Erza's swords to reach each other was something I didn't expect to see. That was also the biggest plus you could give Cammy VS Sonya as an animation. Even just one moment like that to catch the viewer off-guard gives an animation a lot of points, at least in my books.
  • You have a good sense of what music to use. Even if it was the same track from Ratchet VS Jak, the music on Ken VS Terry was still very fitting.
  • Pacing is generally pretty good, and you typically have the type that fits the characters. Ken VS Terry gave off a good "fighting game" vibe, Zoro VS Erza gave off a good "anime fight" vibe, etc. Cammy VS Sonya was a bit worse in this regard to me, but a decent number of the shots were alright there.

Cons:
  • Wish you showed off a bit more of some character's abilities. Cammy VS Sonya and Ken VS Terry were good here, but most of Erza's armors only got in about one attack and that was it. Maybe have her use Clear Heart Clothing instead of her standard armor in one shot, and a while I thought the climax was a great itself, I think it would've been even better if the "fighting on Heaven's Wheel swords" bit happened earlier and the final battle was all Asura Illusion VS Armadura Fairy. Plus I think it would really work well with that great creativity you have.
  • The visual effects you use can switch between being great and being "eh". Ken VS Terry was basically all great, and you're really good with the blood effects, but Cammy VS Sonya's kind of made the blows feel less impactful. Zoro VS Erza was also pretty good on this for the most part, but just as an example, the first shot where they swords collide and the sparks are consistently flying despite the two being still? Didn't feel as natural, though that could just be me nitpicking.
  • Sound effects also change from being good and "eh". The punches and kicks are general well, but there were a few noises from Zoro VS Erza that weren't as good.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:54 pm
Thank you everyone for the useful feedback, If there's one thing I want to improve on the most next year is my sound work. There's plenty of things that I feel you guys bring up about my work that makes me excited to nail down in my future animations! Looks like is gonna be a pretty awesome year! You all have a wonderful 2017! <3
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:22 pm
I know I am a bit late to this thread, but allow me to throw my two scents in!

One problem I've notice from your fights, and other Death Battle fights from time to time, is that the characters never really feel like the characters they are shown to be. Such as, Terry never really felt like Terry during the T vs K fight. He rarely did his snazzy one-liners, poor engrish attack move names, or properly used his rising tackle during the fight (which I was mostly looking forward to). So, I would say do a small amount of research on the fighters before starting the animation if you have the time. A small bit of authenticity goes a long way for making a better match-up.

Also, another thing, try not to make the winner of the fights obvious right of the start of the animations. Like, with the Erza vs Zoro fight, I could tell who was going to win right at the start of the fight between them. Now, I don't know if this is a conflicting thing between having to work with voice actors or the like, but there are ways to dull the winner in some ways (Like removing the line 'we're doing this now'). But to provide another example of an obvious winner, when Terry walked in all silent like, issued his challenged like a cool guy, and made everyone run away. It was quite telling that he was going to win the match.
The Result of the next Death Battle...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:13 pm
All I can really think to say as far as advice goes is just look at Ronald vs. Sanders, Terry vs. Ken and Zoro vs. Erza and do pretty much more of that. In other words, whatever worked for your best and most positively received fights, keep doing that.
Next

Return to DEATH BATTLE!