DEATH BATTLE Episode & Opponent Speculation Thread

It's time for POSTING OPINIONS!

Moderator: Imperator100

Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 am
Note that I’m not entirely sure on the anime characters thing or it not being Black Cat vs Catwoman. That’s just something I heard from someone on the wiki, so I put it in there.

Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:46 pm
coolmancool wrote:I've heard Akame vs Ryuko could be the one.

I doubt it's Ryuko, mostly because Shadow The Hedgehog (yes, the one that lost twice, first to Vegeta then to Mewtwo) is Ryuko's best matchup due to the similarities between them (in fact, you'd be hard-pressed to not find somebody who believes that the latter is an expy of the former [Nobody would be stupid enough to believe the inverse considering that Sonic Adventure 2 came out a full 12 years before Kill la Kill started]). Hell, the plot of Kill la Kill actually bears several similarities to that of Shadow's character arc over Adventure 2, Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, not to mention the traits that Shadow and Ryuko themselves share.
Transcode #003: Mega Man! EM Wave Change, Geo Stelar, on the air!

Wave Battle, Ride On!

Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 pm
The “it’s going to be a popular matchup” bit is what’s throwing me off, because what do you define as a “popular” matchup?
You'll be a Hero, in Time
You'll be a Hero, in Time
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:57 am
Popular fight would likely be heavily requested one. They already mentioned Bane vs Venom was heavily requested. Of course, we don’t really have clue what really is popular unless it’s obvious like Darkseid vs Thanos & Galactus vs Unicron.

Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 am
I mean from what I can tell, the most requested fight currently is Red Hood vs Winter Soldier.

Final Jaws
Final Jaws
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 pm
Neosonic97 wrote:
coolmancool wrote:I've heard Akame vs Ryuko could be the one.

I doubt it's Ryuko, mostly because Shadow The Hedgehog (yes, the one that lost twice, first to Vegeta then to Mewtwo) is Ryuko's best matchup due to the similarities between them (in fact, you'd be hard-pressed to not find somebody who believes that the latter is an expy of the former [Nobody would be stupid enough to believe the inverse considering that Sonic Adventure 2 came out a full 12 years before Kill la Kill started]). Hell, the plot of Kill la Kill actually bears several similarities to that of Shadow's character arc over Adventure 2, Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, not to mention the traits that Shadow and Ryuko themselves share.

And yet despite that, I don't want to see that as an actual Death Battle. It would probably be another loss for Shadow considering how over the top Kill la Kill is compared to the Sonic universe and Ryuko has far more interesting opponents to choose from that fit the scissor theme or the superpowered outfit theme. Plus Mewtwo vs. Shadow has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding the idea of Shadow in Death Battle.

Or at the very least, I'd rather we see Ryuko fight someone else first and then we can do Ryuko vs. Shadow later on/as a DBX.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:47 pm
Falcovsleon20 wrote:
And yet despite that, I don't want to see that as an actual Death Battle. It would probably be another loss for Shadow considering how over the top Kill la Kill is compared to the Sonic universe and Ryuko has far more interesting opponents to choose from that fit the scissor theme or the superpowered outfit theme. Plus Mewtwo vs. Shadow has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding the idea of Shadow in Death Battle.

Or at the very least, I'd rather we see Ryuko fight someone else first and then we can do Ryuko vs. Shadow later on/as a DBX.

Actually Ryuko's best feats don't quite reach the level Super Shadow is at, and she doesn't have the hax to stop Super Shadow. Even with Senketsu Kisaragi, Super Shadow does outclass Ryuko and Shadow's got enough in his arsenal to stay alive for long enough to realize that 'hey, I should probably go super'. So realistically it should be a victory for Shadow. Not an easy one, but a victory nonetheless. While Kill la Kill does have flashier fights in general, the scale is a fair bit smaller than in the Sonicverse. (Especially since Super Shadow scales to Super Sonic, who in turn has fought multiple planet-level threats).

Also Ryuko and Shadow have a lot in common, in both their stories and design. Including the 'genetically engineered beings using DNA from aliens, who end up opposing the very beings whom they were created from' (Life Fibers for Ryuko, the Black Arms for Shadow) shtick that kinda defined a good portion of Ryuko's and Shadow's stories.

Wave Battle, Ride On!
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:54 pm
We're not using Shadow again and we're not wasting Ryūko on Shadow. if Madoka Magica is a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre, Kill la Kill is a Satire of both Mahou Shoujou and Super Sentai. And if you wanted to stick with the "created using aliens" shtick, that's everything from "Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor".
Unlimited Blade Works

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:35 am
DarthGeist wrote:We're not using Shadow again and we're not wasting Ryūko on Shadow. if Madoka Magica is a deconstruction of the Magical Girl genre, Kill la Kill is a Satire of both Mahou Shoujou and Super Sentai. And if you wanted to stick with the "created using aliens" shtick, that's everything from "Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor".

Maybe if there weren't so many parallels between Ryuko and Shadow, there'd be a point. I've seen more than a few people who can give reasons why they see Ryuko as an expy of Shadow. God knows she's got more in common with Shadow than ANY Super Sentai or Mahou Shoujo character.

Similarities between Ryuko and Shadow are as follows:

Genetically engineered via the blood of aliens. They end up going against the very aliens they were created from. Their main parental figure is a scientist of some kind (the one who ended up responsible for their creation/alteration anyway), the "THIS IS WHO I AM!" realization, temporarily brainwashed by said aliens, both initially seek revenge for their fallen loved ones, the whole 'colony drop threatening the planet' plot, as well as plummeting to the earth afterwards where they were assumed to have died, but in fact survived, as well as the obvious black with red highlights colour scheme and the golden super forms. Maybe if only one or two of these were similar it wouldn't be as good, but given the combination of all of these factors, Shadow really is Ryuko's best matchup.

Wave Battle, Ride On!

Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 am
I would prefer Guyver fight Jamie Reyes. As for the hint, my best guess remains Akame vs Ryuko, since it fits all the hints and it would be understandable that Bio hates Akame and likes Ryuko.
PreviousNext

Return to DEATH BATTLE!