Unofficial DB Match-up Discussion/Brainstorm Thread 3.0

It's time for POSTING OPINIONS!

Moderator: Imperator100

User avatar
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:14 pm
Movin the discussion here since this is where such is for talking, not the Official thread. And yes it's for Haseo vs. Kirito.

I would like to hear legitimate reasons why it shouldn't be done. And "because I don't want to see him in a Death Battle" isn't a legitimate reason. As far as I can tell, the SAO live-action series is still in production and .hack just had its 20th anniversary with the release of "Last Recode". Right around now is the best time to have the two fight. And for those saying "Because it's a stomp", people clearly didn't believe such in 2015-16 when questions were popped on Reddit and smaller forums with people all saying that Kirito is way too fast so he'd win. So there are people who don't think anything of .hack.
ImageImage
Fuck. Your. Face!"
User avatar
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:58 pm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:19 pm
DarthGeist wrote:Movin the discussion here since this is where such is for talking, not the Official thread. And yes it's for Haseo vs. Kirito.

I would like to hear legitimate reasons why it shouldn't be done. And "because I don't want to see him in a Death Battle" isn't a legitimate reason. As far as I can tell, the SAO live-action series is still in production and .hack just had its 20th anniversary with the release of "Last Recode". Right around now is the best time to have the two fight. And for those saying "Because it's a stomp", people clearly didn't believe such in 2015-16 when questions were popped on Reddit and smaller forums with people all saying that Kirito is way too fast so he'd win. So there are people who don't think anything of .hack.

Isn't Kite like universe level? don't know if he scales to Haseo.
Image
"Kiryu-chan!!"

Spoiler


Image

Slower Starter
Slower Starter
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 am
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:47 pm
DarthGeist wrote:Movin the discussion here since this is where such is for talking, not the Official thread. And yes it's for Haseo vs. Kirito.

I would like to hear legitimate reasons why it shouldn't be done. And "because I don't want to see him in a Death Battle" isn't a legitimate reason. As far as I can tell, the SAO live-action series is still in production and .hack just had its 20th anniversary with the release of "Last Recode". Right around now is the best time to have the two fight. And for those saying "Because it's a stomp", people clearly didn't believe such in 2015-16 when questions were popped on Reddit and smaller forums with people all saying that Kirito is way too fast so he'd win. So there are people who don't think anything of .hack.


Kirito matches thematically with the more prominent main characters of .hack so there's no need to have him fight Haseo. Kirito's main fight requests have many more instantly recognisable opponents (eg Neo, Eren, etc.). The main purpose of Death Battle has been "settling the debate" which is why they have had multiple Nintendo VS Sega, Marvel VS DC and of course Goku VS Superman as well as others, and you seem to be the only person requesting this so it's obviously not something people want to "settle". Kirito is bound to get new powers and feats due to the popularity of SAO and the fact it's still going, so using him now is probably jumping the gun a bit. The matchup also has a lot of abusable NLFs which are no fun for both debating the matchup and the potential final outcome. Not to mention whenever SAO comes up outside you discussing this matchup you can't help but mention how much you hate it so it's clearly a spite match.

This won't be anything more than a DBX if even that.
User avatar
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 pm
Rocket1908 wrote:Kirito matches thematically with the more prominent main characters of .hack so there's no need to have him fight Haseo. Kirito's main fight requests have many more instantly recognisable opponents (eg Neo, Eren, etc.). The main purpose of Death Battle has been "settling the debate" which is why they have had multiple Nintendo VS Sega, Marvel VS DC and of course Goku VS Superman as well as others, and you seem to be the only person requesting this so it's obviously not something people want to "settle". Kirito is bound to get new powers and feats due to the popularity of SAO and the fact it's still going, so using him now is probably jumping the gun a bit. The matchup also has a lot of abusable NLFs which are no fun for both debating the matchup and the potential final outcome. Not to mention whenever SAO comes up outside you discussing this matchup you can't help but mention how much you hate it so it's clearly a spite match.

This won't be anything more than a DBX if even that.

Image

Kirito has nothing in common with other .hack protagonists besides the premise of the series. Haseo is literally the only one with multiple matching points across the board. And the only reason people wanted Eren to fight Kirito was simply due to both shows being popular. They have absolutely nothing in common with each other whatsoever and was nothing more than a fanboy wish. Like how they joked with doing Vegeta vs Mewtwo.

As for "jumping the gun", no not really. The novels are already pretty much at the end so the series isn't getting much more. Nvm the writer pretty much forgetting things that happened in the very first volume. Also that argument doesn't work since, by definition, all comic characters are in on-going storylines and they will still get thrown into a Death Battle regardless of the fact their stories will keep getting told and added onto for another 10-20-30yrs. Goku, Guts, Superman, Batman, Captain America, Sonic and many others are all part of on-going series and were still put into Death Battles. So that argument doesn't hold any weight whatsoever.

And I see no NLF anywhere in this debate. Also my personal distaste for SAO isn't a reason for the fight to not happen. That is the same as saying if one guy doesn't like Image Comics then no IC characters should ever be used in a Death Battle.
ImageImage
Fuck. Your. Face!"

Slower Starter
Slower Starter
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 am
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 pm
DarthGeist wrote:
Rocket1908 wrote:Kirito matches thematically with the more prominent main characters of .hack so there's no need to have him fight Haseo. Kirito's main fight requests have many more instantly recognisable opponents (eg Neo, Eren, etc.). The main purpose of Death Battle has been "settling the debate" which is why they have had multiple Nintendo VS Sega, Marvel VS DC and of course Goku VS Superman as well as others, and you seem to be the only person requesting this so it's obviously not something people want to "settle". Kirito is bound to get new powers and feats due to the popularity of SAO and the fact it's still going, so using him now is probably jumping the gun a bit. The matchup also has a lot of abusable NLFs which are no fun for both debating the matchup and the potential final outcome. Not to mention whenever SAO comes up outside you discussing this matchup you can't help but mention how much you hate it so it's clearly a spite match.

This won't be anything more than a DBX if even that.



Kirito has nothing in common with other .hack protagonists besides the premise of the series. Haseo is literally the only one with multiple matching points across the board. And the only reason people wanted Eren to fight Kirito was simply due to both shows being popular. They have absolutely nothing in common with each other whatsoever and was nothing more than a fanboy wish. Like how they joked with doing Vegeta vs Mewtwo.

As for "jumping the gun", no not really. The novels are already pretty much at the end so the series isn't getting much more. Nvm the writer pretty much forgetting things that happened in the very first volume. Also that argument doesn't work since, by definition, all comic characters are in on-going storylines and they will still get thrown into a Death Battle regardless of the fact their stories will keep getting told and added onto for another 10-20-30yrs. Goku, Guts, Superman, Batman, Captain America, Sonic and many others are all part of on-going series and were still put into Death Battles. So that argument doesn't hold any weight whatsoever.

And I see no NLF anywhere in this debate. Also my personal distaste for SAO isn't a reason for the fight to not happen. That is the same as saying if one guy doesn't like Image Comics then no IC characters should ever be used in a Death Battle.


First off, if you're going to post an image that wide, for god's sake spoiler it.

DB has shown they will do protagonist vs protagonist for similar series, so it is much more likely for Kirito to fight Kite or Eren in Death Battle then Haseo.

I saw your post about the matching points Kirito and Haseo allegedly have and they were mostly generic shit like "they both changed costumes throughout the series" which, if that's as deep as your connection goes, you're honestly grasping.

Fuck, even off the top of my head, I can think of more ways Kirito and Eren ACTUALLY match up. They're both orphans, carry two blades, both have monster transformations, even the same VA. I don't really care much for it as a matchup, but it would still work better than Haseo would.

When it comes to jumping the gun, the characters you all listed either fought each other, or were controversial for the very reason I stated. You bring up Sonic as an example but when he did fight Mario, the main complaints came that feats Mario got post the fight would give him the win. So using Sonic as an example really shot down your own point. The fact that Guts, Superman and Batman all already won their fights and are ongoing doesn't really prove much either. In addition to that, do you really think they'll stop producing any SAO related content just because the novels are finished? It's still insanely popular. They'll just write more original storylines for new games and anime. Hell, the author might see how popular it is and start writing more novels again.

The main NLF with any virtual opponent I've seen, mostly in relation to Kirito because he's the most popular, is the whole "The device they're using to access the virtual arena won't kill them IRL so they can just keep fighting as long as they need to" and similar arguments. It's a dumb argument and it's bound to come up at some point in a large enough debate about it. And it's something DB would probably wank the everloving shit out of.

As for the distaste thing, it's an example that you obviously don't care about the debate. It's not the fact that one person doesn't like something so that character shouldn't be in a fight, it's that you keep requesting a shitty matchup FOR a character you don't like. You keep trying to say that it's the perfect time to do the matchup because you know at this point in time, Haseo wins. Not only that, you're the ONLY person requesting it, and it's quite obvious everyone else here is sick of it, so it's highly unlikely your suggestion will be recognised in any way. No one agrees with you on it
User avatar
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 pm
Rocket1908 wrote:First off, if you're going to post an image that wide, for god's sake spoiler it.

But then you wouldn't understand how wrong you are.

DB has shown they will do protagonist vs protagonist for similar series, so it is much more likely for Kirito to fight Kite or Eren in Death Battle then Haseo.

Except that Haseo is the Protagonist of the GU series and is the most popular and best made of the series with it being the 20th Anniversary special.
I saw your post about the matching points Kirito and Haseo allegedly have and they were mostly generic shit like "they both changed costumes throughout the series" which, if that's as deep as your connection goes, you're honestly grasping.

There are more than a dozen points between the two off the top of my head and you have to reach far up the internets gnarled anus to come up with anything for Kirito and Eren. Such as
Fuck, even off the top of my head, I can think of more ways Kirito and Eren ACTUALLY match up. They're both orphans, carry two blades, both have monster transformations, even the same VA. I don't really care much for it as a matchup, but it would still work better than Haseo would.

Except Kirito's isn't a transformation, it's an Illusion Spell, so it's an in-game mechanic that Any Spriggan can do. Making it completely generic. Nvm Haseo has several "transformations", including B-st from the movie and his Epitaph Summon form, Skeith. And Eren actually has 6-8 blades because they are disposable. No different from anyone else using 3DMG's. Togusa and Alucard have the same VA. Doesn't mean we should have them fight because of it. What you just pulled is the definition of generic bullshit.

When it comes to jumping the gun, the characters you all listed either fought each other, or were controversial for the very reason I stated. You bring up Sonic as an example but when he did fight Mario, the main complaints came that feats Mario got post the fight would give him the win. So using Sonic as an example really shot down your own point. The fact that Guts, Superman and Batman all already won their fights and are ongoing doesn't really prove much either. In addition to that, do you really think they'll stop producing any SAO related content just because the novels are finished? It's still insanely popular. They'll just write more original storylines for new games and anime. Hell, the author might see how popular it is and start writing more novels again.

The Mario/Sonic fights were done because of Console War Rivalries. That's all. And something being popular doesn't make it good. And it's certainly not a reason to not have Kirito fight. Again, .hack just had it's 20th Anniversary, and Haseo is at the forefront. So as far as opponents go, he's really the only one Kirito has that makes any degree of sense.
The main NLF with any virtual opponent I've seen, mostly in relation to Kirito because he's the most popular, is the whole "The device they're using to access the virtual arena won't kill them IRL so they can just keep fighting as long as they need to" and similar arguments. It's a dumb argument and it's bound to come up at some point in a large enough debate about it. And it's something DB would probably wank the everloving shit out of.

Except if his character is killed, he loses the fight anyway. And given how the Epitaphs, AIDA and other phenomena in .hack work, Kirito could end up in a coma and never wake up from it.
As for the distaste thing, it's an example that you obviously don't care about the debate. It's not the fact that one person doesn't like something so that character shouldn't be in a fight, it's that you keep requesting a shitty matchup FOR a character you don't like. You keep trying to say that it's the perfect time to do the matchup because you know at this point in time, Haseo wins. Not only that, you're the ONLY person requesting it, and it's quite obvious everyone else here is sick of it, so it's highly unlikely your suggestion will be recognised in any way. No one agrees with you on it

At no point will Haseo not win the fight. Because we've already seen the future of the SAO world. It's called "Accel World", made by the same author, and is yet again centered around people living in a game world.
ImageImage
Fuck. Your. Face!"

Slower Starter
Slower Starter
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 am
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:41 pm
DarthGeist wrote:At no point will Haseo not win the fight. Because we've already seen the future of the SAO world. It's called "Accel World", made by the same author, and is yet again centered around people living in a game world.


What does Accel World being the future of SAO have to fucking do with Kirito not gaining anything as a character? Not only is there no link between the two series apart from the author and setting, but SAO is insanely more popular. So I doubt the author will be completely dropping something that's not only much more popular and recognisable as well as being more profitable just to work on another series. Even if he does, there's no way someone else won't pick it up.

And the point still stands. No one wants this match up except you. Literally no one here has agreed with you on it. Everyone can see you're peddling a spite match, and you continue to do so despite the fact that no matter how many times people either ignore it or tell you it's shit. You keep regurgitating the same thing. Your argument for this match never gets stronger and you haven't managed to convince anyone on here that you're right about it. It's not happening.
User avatar
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:13 pm
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:22 pm
Rocket1908 wrote:What does Accel World being the future of SAO have to fucking do with Kirito not gaining anything as a character? Not only is there no link between the two series apart from the author and setting, but SAO is insanely more popular. So I doubt the author will be completely dropping something that's not only much more popular and recognisable as well as being more profitable just to work on another series. Even if he does, there's no way someone else won't pick it up.

Because he can't contradict his own work. And claiming that SAO is "insanely popular" is an egregious exaggeration. Nvm that you missed the point in that Accel World was already made into an anime. The only reason it didn't keep going is because the licensing company wasn't going to produce both his series at once.

And the point still stands. No one wants this match up except you. Literally no one here has agreed with you on it. Everyone can see you're peddling a spite match, and you continue to do so despite the fact that no matter how many times people either ignore it or tell you it's shit. You keep regurgitating the same thing. Your argument for this match never gets stronger and you haven't managed to convince anyone on here that you're right about it. It's not happening.

No. They don't want the match because it's one-sided. No one has any reason as to why it shouldn't be done. Never mind that the opinions of a few people made out of spite doesn't constitute a reason for the fight to not happen. The fact you think that any of the Death Battle team cares about such skewed and biased opinions is a testament to how much you don't understand how the industry works.

.hack is popular among the old crowd. SAO is popular among the young crowd. Both are in the limelight currently. The ability to make money off having them fight requires no effort to think about.
ImageImage
Fuck. Your. Face!"
User avatar
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 am
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
I'd rather Kirito fight against Kite, but Haseo does make sense as well.
"Versus Debating is a dirty business... and I'm as dirty as they come. "

Slower Starter
Slower Starter
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:41 am
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 pm
DarthGeist wrote:Because he can't contradict his own work. And claiming that SAO is "insanely popular" is an egregious exaggeration. Nvm that you missed the point in that Accel World was already made into an anime. The only reason it didn't keep going is because the licensing company wasn't going to produce both his series at once.


No. They don't want the match because it's one-sided. No one has any reason as to why it shouldn't be done. Never mind that the opinions of a few people made out of spite doesn't constitute a reason for the fight to not happen. The fact you think that any of the Death Battle team cares about such skewed and biased opinions is a testament to how much you don't understand how the industry works.

.hack is popular among the old crowd. SAO is popular among the young crowd. Both are in the limelight currently. The ability to make money off having them fight requires no effort to think about.


First, ever heard of retcons, and multiverses? If it's required he'll do it. In fact, SAO already has an ongoing alternate universe adaptation. And I know that Accel World has an anime adaptation.

SAO is insanely popular in Japan. It's currently one of the best selling light novels. It consistently is at the high end of charts in both individual volume and overall sales. You can't deny that.

I find it quite ironic that you talk about other people's opinions formed on spite and bias when you quite clearly only want the match because a character from a series you like beats one from a series you don't like. And a match being one-sided is a good reason to not want a match, seeing as like I said earlier, Death Battle is about VS Debating and one sided matches have nothing to debate.

also, the fact you call it an industry indicates you're taking yourself a little too seriously. it's a youtube channel that does animated fights, it wouldn't even qualify as an industry because ScrewAttack are the only company making any significant money off it.

.hack hasn't had any major relevance in ages. It's not exactly a long-standing pop-culture icon, especially outside Japan (which is the main audience) and i've seen barely any discussion on it compared to current and more popular series. Look at the past 3 matchups that have been revealed. WW VS Thor, Naruto VS Ichigo, Batman Beyond VS Spiderman 2099. While the exact details of Batman Beyond and Spiderman 2099 might not be familiar with most people, they still understand that it's Batman and Spiderman. All those characters are basically instantly recognisable. Most people with basic pop culture knowledge could look at all those characters and know enough about them to be somewhat interested in the matchup. I doubt many people with any less than an intermediate understanding of pop culture or a very specific interest in anime could tell you anything about .hack. SAO is the same. It's a little more widely known due to it's popularity, but it's not on the same level outside Japan as instantly recognisable series such as DBZ and Naruto. So it's not the instant money maker you think it is, and it's certainly not a popular suggestion or something they'd think of doing themselves.
PreviousNext

Return to DEATH BATTLE!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], coolmancool, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Sentrybot and 5 guests