Unpopular DEATH BATTLE Opinions

It's time for POSTING OPINIONS!

Moderator: Imperator100

An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:00 am
There's having little similarities, and just blatant stretching.
Best kind of fights are fights where both characters are similar, yet different. What doesn't work is throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. This is why Memepool vs Pony Shit and Scrooge v SK don't work. They have loose as fuck connections and requires an asdload of stretching to call them good matches.
We aren't asking for mirror matches. We don't want just any random fight. Shit like that leads to CFC cancer.
Too fabulous for you
I Just Got the Bundle for Free
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:10 am
The Shovel Knight game takes blatant inspiration from the Ducktales game. Its a fight of Old verses Homage. That's the connection and I think it's a good one.
"Versus Debating is a dirty business... and I'm as dirty as they come. "
Don't Think, Feel!
Don't Think, Feel!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 am
Winnosh wrote:The Shovel Knight game takes blatant inspiration from the Ducktales game. Its a fight of Old verses Homage. That's the connection and I think it's a good one.

You'd have a point if both didn't have far more suitable opponents.
When a girl beats a guy in Death Battle.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:04 pm
12cheeper wrote:
Winnosh wrote:The Shovel Knight game takes blatant inspiration from the Ducktales game. Its a fight of Old verses Homage. That's the connection and I think it's a good one.

Sutability really depends on the themes involved. Some would say that Cranky Kong is more thematic, some would say pit Scrooge against another oldschool 8bit character, or pit him against another cartoon/comic book character/

Shovel Knight could have been up against another sorta indie platformer if you want to go the whole, New generation of retro platformers battling it out. Or he could be put up against another knight who weilds an unusual weapon. Such as a mop fighter. Who is the most suitable opponent can change simply by thinking about Why the fight is happening.

The reason I believe this fight is happening is it being Scrooge's 50th anniversary. As well as the new cartoon premiering this year. So they probably thought about who would represent Scrooge's impact, on cartoons, or in this instance, videogames.
Don't Think, Feel!
Don't Think, Feel!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:38 pm
Winnosh wrote:
12cheeper wrote:

Sutability really depends on the themes involved. Some would say that Cranky Kong is more thematic, some would say pit Scrooge against another oldschool 8bit character, or pit him against another cartoon/comic book character/

Shovel Knight could have been up against another sorta indie platformer if you want to go the whole, New generation of retro platformers battling it out. Or he could be put up against another knight who weilds an unusual weapon. Such as a mop fighter. Who is the most suitable opponent can change simply by thinking about Why the fight is happening.

The reason I believe this fight is happening is it being Scrooge's 50th anniversary. As well as the new cartoon premiering this year. So they probably thought about who would represent Scrooge's impact, on cartoons, or in this instance, videogames.

Shovel Knight's most requested matchup by far is Shantae so he should've fought her.Still a stomp but It makes more sense than "two guys from games with vaguely similar gameplay."Scrooge should've naturally fought someone associated with greed.Say Mr. Krabs or Wario.
Also,of course this fight would be to promote an upcoming release.At least it can't possibly be worse than the last matchup that did that.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:48 pm
12cheeper wrote:Shovel Knight's most requested matchup by far is Shantae so he should've fought her.Still a stomp but It makes more sense than "two guys from games with vaguely similar gameplay."Scrooge should've naturally fought someone associated with greed.Say Mr. Krabs or Wario.
Also,of course this fight would be to promote an upcoming release.At least it can't possibly be worse than the last matchup that did that.

It's why I brought the question up in the first place. Is the preference more towards character similarities or how close of a fight it is?

Also, despite what Winnosh said, I doubt this matchup's being used to promote something. We know Screwattack's been a fan of Scrooge for a while and did a Desk of DB episode on him last year. Same goes towards Shovel Knight.
Squall's a Wuss
Squall's a Wuss
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:53 pm
What even would be a close, thematic matchup for Scrooge? Sly?
Don't Think, Feel!
Don't Think, Feel!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:04 pm
comicking428 wrote:
12cheeper wrote:Shovel Knight's most requested matchup by far is Shantae so he should've fought her.Still a stomp but It makes more sense than "two guys from games with vaguely similar gameplay."Scrooge should've naturally fought someone associated with greed.Say Mr. Krabs or Wario.

It's why I brought the question up in the first place. Is the preference more towards character similarities or how close of a fight it is?

Also, despite what Winnosh said, I doubt this matchup's being used to promote something. We know Screwattack's been a fan of Scrooge for a while and did a Desk of DB episode on him last year. Same goes towards Shovel Knight.

Honestly,I just want a matchup that makes sense.There really aren't any close matchup for Scrooge to begin with.

Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:19 pm
I'll be honest, I don't need a match up to be thematic too be an enjoyable match up. The characters themes hardly affect the fight at all. Ideally I just want the match up to be fun to argue and insightful.

For example, Justice League vs. Power Rangers cross-over that's happening. No thematic connection but that's still gonna be hella fun to watch

I feel as though themes can be a limit on how fun a match-up can be at times. A good example are those old Mario vs Goku videos where they fought and it was completely badass. Idk maybe it's just me.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:22 pm
Not saying it's being used to Promote the cartoon. I'm not implying that any money exchanged hands. But it is the 50th annyversary of the character, it's the perfect time to use them.
PreviousNext

Return to DEATH BATTLE!