Back Log 2017

Play games with the g1s right here on the forums
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:11 pm
Back Log is similar to How Many Games in that the "winner" is the person with the most completed games, but collectively as a community is a team challenge to see how many games we can beat that we "purchased" but never beat. Unlike How Many Games a game can be beaten by multiple people and they all count so long as they meet requirements below:

Rules:
1. The game must of been purchased, gifted, or procured by a fashion (no "free" games) before the start of 2017.
2. The game, including the system format (ie NES, PSOne), must of never been beaten by you before.
3. The game must be started and finished in 2017 (no using old saved data).
4. No "cheat codes" are allowed to beat the game. Emulated games are fine so long as it meets rule #1.
5. Once you've beaten a game post it in the forum thread with the following format:
Game Title (System format)
Spoiler
Screen capture of game ending is OPTIONAL. Honor system is in effect.

Example:
Battletoads (NES)
Spoiler
No need for screen shot I'm just that good of a player :P

No let the games begin!
Spoiler

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:11 pm
Reserved

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:26 am
Cool thread. I might be able to knockout a few.

Hyperlight Drifter (PS4) -really awesome zelda clone with great art and music
God of War III (PS4) -an epic finish to the original trilogy with huge bosses and tons of greek mythology madness
Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) -original superhero/magic girl open world flight sim
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:38 pm
Cool! Maybe I'll finally finish some games!

Lets start with
1. Pokémon Moon (3DS)
I just finished the main storyline 2 days ago!
MexicanAnime wrote:"So, my townness makes me cum?" - Ari 2014
Wildman: I shot Aristo dead
Cheetory: Bitch you just got murder killed.
I play lots of Mafia. This is my Wiki
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 am
Hyperlight is absolutely amazing and everyone should give it a try.

For a moment there I thought I'd have no reason to play games this year. Looking forward to post about how much fun I'll have with Owlboy and Broken Age whenever I get to them C:
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:35 pm
Broken Age (PC)
I haven't played many point and clicks in my life, but Broken Age was great. Fun characters and I loved the voice actors' deliveries (idk what it is about Gus but it took me like two interactions to make it one of my favorite characters, to where I kinda wish he had more dialogues), also fun puzzles that can be pretty satisfying to solve (specially near the end).

Owlboy (OC): Just finished this with my lil' sis. It's both beautiful to look at and really fun and cool to play (some of those boss fights can look so cool!).
Squall's a Wuss
Squall's a Wuss
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:44 pm
I got a lot of games in the Steam Black Friday sale. It would be quite a while before I got around to playing most of them, which include:

1. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 4
I beat Ty 1 on the 20th of December '16 and I was craving some more, even if just for the lore. I knew that this, being a 2D sidescroller, wasn't exactly more of what I got, but it still hit a lot of 1's marks that 2 and 3 don't look like they did. None of that Ty 3 close combat bullshit, that's for sure; the bite is back, and it's all the close combat Ty ever needed. Unfortunately, it does suffer from having collectibles that don't do anything; either that or the guy blocking me from the epilogue wants all the collectibles even though he's telling me I'm only missing Thundereggs. On that note, I hate how there's no way of knowing which collectibles you missed in previous levels without going into them. Absolute bullshit, that.

Still, the game ain't half bad, although it's hella short. The soundtrack is quite possibly the best in the series, it's so fucking good. I do not regret buying it.

2. Shantae: Risky's Revenge Director's Cut
Good stuff! This is my first Shantae game, and it looks like I've picked a good place to start. The gameplay is solid and the dialogue is pretty funny. Lotsa "where's that damn ______" moments, and some instructions weren't all that clear. Still, I fully recommend it.

3. Psychonauts
I fucking love this game, holy shit. Fantastic platformer by a fantastic developer. With a sequel over the horizon and a VR game whose unaffordable existence I can at least appreciate, I picked a pretty good time to finally get my hands on it. Great gameplay, decent story, fantastic characters, and superb dialogue, not to mention damn near Undertale levels of developer foresight. Not flawless, and I wouldn't recommend going for 100% completion like I did.

4. HuniePop
Uh...yeah. It was like two bucks or something due to the sale so I was like "You know what'd be funny?" It wasn't that funny. At least, not the fact that I bought it. The puzzle gameplay is actually pretty good, and the soundtrack is pretty great. Eventually, though, it got to the point where curiosity was the only thing leading me to progress. The characters, while likeable, do fail to fully come alive in a few ways. Their dialogue doesn't change depending on things like where you are, how drunk they are, or whether or not you've fucked them, let alone how many times. And why do they get so mad when I ask them something more than once when they do that with no problem? I hope the sequel fixes these things. Yes, there will be a sequel, and no, I'm not referring to HunieCam Studio. It's set to release next year. On that note, the HuniePot Twitter is an absolute riot, you should check it out.

5. NiGHTS into Dreams...
I'll be honest here. I expected my mind to be blown by this classic and it wasn't. What I thought was the first world was actually the entire game. It gets a lot more impressive, however, when you consider that it was released a full year before Super Mario 64, which is the game known for truly establishing the standards of 3D games. I'll give NiGHTS one thing, though: it did leave me wanting more. Like, now I wanna get the sequel even though I hear it's mediocre. The music is also really great. Relaxing when it wants to be and intense when it wants to be that too. The main menu music also really gets to me for some reason, though I'm not sure what it is. The game really left an impression despite how short it was. I suppose one could say the game was pleasant, yet fleeting, like a good dream.

6. Breath of Death VII
Breath of Death VII claims to be a parody RPG, and stars a skeleton warrior named Dem, along with his three friends, Sara the ghost, Lita the vampire, and Erik the zombie, in a medieval-ish post-apocalypse after humanity brought forth its own demise and the undead made their own society. Like any RPG made by a small studio, it satirizes the living hell out of the genre, and for the most part, it does so pretty well.

This is an old-school RPG quite lacking in bullshit, I'll give it that...at least in terms of the gameplay. In fact, the RNG factor overall seems to be pretty small. Crits aren't a thing, and neither is missing attacks. Potions are incredibly powerful, and fittingly rare for that reason. A key mechanic is the combo system: some moves become more powerful the more times the party has thrown an attack. Multi-hit moves and even weapons are thus rampant in the game to compliment this feature, but you're still not likely to use it very much against any non-bosses. You also fully recover HP at the end of each battle, but not MP, so it's instead that you have to be careful with.

There are a few good ideas here: While random encounters are a thing, they stop showing up after you've fought enough battles in an area, letting you explore the place freely, without any of that "But nobody came" bullshit from Undertale. You can see how many of these you would need to fight in order for such to happen from the pause menu. Another thing you can do from the pause menu is initiate an encounter yourself, so you don't have to run around back and forth if you want to fight somebody. It could be argued that this makes grinding too easy, since you can camp outside a town, fight folks, then go back into town to restore your MP at the inn.

The story is ass. It starts out fine but then it just gets stupid and the ending was just dumb. The ending could have been fine if...well, let's just say you're given a choice and your options are "Yeah" and "Sure." Fine as a gag in the beginning but in the fucking ending? Also, you don't really know what you're even trying to do until very close to the end of the game. As good as the jokes in the game are, it all gets kinda dumb the moment the characters stop joking.

Music's pretty good tho. Whether or not it's fitting is a little more debatable. Overall I'd give the game a 6, maybe a 7. The game'll run you three bucks and last you five hours, so 1.66 hours per dollar. Make what you will of that.

Currently, the following games are in my backlog, waiting to be played, having been acquired in 2016 and not yet played/didn't start until 2017:

Portal
Sonic CD
One Way Heroics
Cthulhu Saves The World

These are all from Steam, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any other games I've acquired in 2016 and not even started until 2017.

I could revisit some Wii games I never beat, but that'd require losing what little progress I made. Might be worth it.
"Anyone who abandons his reason and lives only by hatred IS a monster!" - Meta Knight

Return to g1 Forum Games