Comment Replies Not Appearing As Replies

Got issues with the main site, blogs, or forums?
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:55 pm
Recently on the main ScrewAttack website, it seems like that the notifications have started updating in real time (from what I can tell at least) again, which is great! I'm glad that this has apparently been fixed!

However, there's a pretty big problem now regarding the comment layout on posts, mainly with replies, and I'm not sure if it's related to the notification fix. Replies to comments, even on long and lengthy conversations on older blog posts, are no longer being shown as branching (no indents) to someone; all the comments period are just being show by posting date so it's difficult to tell when something is a reply to someone else (or even who it's a reply to) or not. The comments also aren't showing up on walls right now, and I'm not sure why. I just wanted to ask if this was a temporary glitch that would be changed soon, or if this is a part of some new update to the main site.

Here's a picture example:
Spoiler

That top comment was originally a reply by me to Dark, but since today, it just appears with the other comments as if it wasn't ever a reply or indented in the past. It's like that on other pages across the site too, and it's also noticeable if it's a lengthy back-and-forth conversation since now it's not clear who is being replied to in a reply.
Made by Alpha Unit.
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:53 pm
That is correct. The reply function is no longer available on main page posts. All comments will now be displayed in chronological order.
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 pm
Guardian, The wrote:That is correct. The reply function is no longer available on main page posts. All comments will now be displayed in chronological order.

But why for past blog posts that are months or years old? That messes up the structure of past conversations.
Made by Alpha Unit.
I Just Got the Bundle for Free
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 pm
Ferret75 wrote:
Guardian, The wrote:That is correct. The reply function is no longer available on main page posts. All comments will now be displayed in chronological order.

But why for past blog posts that are months or years old? That messes up the structure of past conversations.

Because everything was poorly designed.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 am
Jawshy wrote:
Ferret75 wrote:

I was going to say because there can't be two different comment systems, but whatever floats your boat.
Mod: Capture Dead
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 pm
Ferret75 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure how to answer this one other than saying, "We've got a new person running the website behind the scenes as far as the design of the site goes." I'm also not entirely sure if this issue will get fixed either. :/
Spoiler
Fandango wrote:Debaser, you power hungry madman! Stop slaving your mods for nothing!
Admin of Legend
Admin of Legend
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 pm
Guardian, The wrote:
Jawshy wrote:

I was going to say because there can't be two different comment systems, but whatever floats your boat.

You're right. There can't be a different system for different nodes. Either Jawshy is being a troll or dumb.

That's what is happening though. The comments are going to appear in this order now. Maybe things will change once we find out why replies weren't indenting like they should, or maybe we're shooting for the Youtube look.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:12 am
Debaser wrote:
Guardian, The wrote:
Jawshy wrote:

You're right. There can't be a different system for different nodes. Either Jawshy is being a troll or dumb.

That's what is happening though. The comments are going to appear in this order now. Maybe things will change once we find out why replies weren't indenting like they should, or maybe we're shooting for the Youtube look.

This seriously took a month to respond to? And I'm not trolling, it's poorly designed. It's an awful website. I hope that Youtube comment is sarcasm, because Youtube has been bad for a while now, too.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:32 pm
Jawshy wrote:This seriously took a month to respond to?

We are not developers. We are moderators and administrators. Had we been the developers of everything ongoing, then we would have gotten back well before then. Sadly, I was never that good at mathematics, so coding was out of the question as a career choice.
Spoiler
Fandango wrote:Debaser, you power hungry madman! Stop slaving your mods for nothing!
Admin of Legend
Admin of Legend
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:02 am
Debaser wrote:
Guardian, The wrote:
Jawshy wrote:

This seriously took a month to respond to? And I'm not trolling, it's poorly designed. It's an awful website. I hope that Youtube comment is sarcasm, because Youtube has been bad for a while now, too.

I'm terribly sorry I took too long with my wife, my two jobs, my classes and my house to respond to something that I could've ignored to begin with since I couldn't fix it anyway.

Wow, you forums guys complain about everything anymore.
Next

Return to Help Desk