An official complaint about avatar upload system

Got issues with the main site, blogs, or forums?
It's a Cat. I Think
It's a Cat. I Think
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:45 am
I did not want 2 do this but u left me no choice...

It's buggy. I know it's not just me, because I had this problem on my old computer as well. I now have a new computer, and use a different browser, and have the same problems. None of the functions for uploading a new avatar work. Whenever I try to use a URL, it does not work for both options. When I upload a picture I have downloaded, it will not auto-resize. Therefore, I have to resize it myself and upload it. While this might sound trivial, it's a pain in the ass to do, and irksome when it is something the forum website is supposed to do automatically.

This is not a problem that I've encountered on other forums. Therefore, I know that better than what we got is possible. Basically, what Screwattack is using now is really user unfriendly. I think people on the tech end should look into this, or at the very least keep it in mind the next time the forums are revamped.
You're so vain. You probably think this signature's about you.
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:34 pm
This is unfortunately (probably) mostly due to the fact the forums' code/software is largely out of date and just doesn't play well with some things anymore.

That said, (and more likely now that I'm thinking about it) depending on what the specifics of the picture you are trying to use is (format, file size, etc), it may be just that the settings the forums have currently that restrict you uploading it. I know for a fact there is a limit on the file size for avatars you can upload to the forums, besides the fact not all picture file formats are supported.

Honestly your best bet moving forward is when you want to change your avatar, upload it to a hosting site (imgur or photobucket) and use the "link offsite" feature. It will avoid most of those pesky file limits

Return to Help Desk