Movie Bob Coming (Back) to ScrewAttack

SideScrollers, Best/Worst Ever!, One Minute Melee, Five Fun Facts, and more.
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:45 pm
Elmo 3000 wrote:
King Bowser wrote:I like Sargon of Akkad, I think he is one of the few honest E-Celebs out there right now. Not afraid to call shit how he sees it or be accountable for his own follies and mistakes, even if it means people end up hating him. That takes real honesty and integrity, and I for one would rather listen to a less charismatic honest man than a popular liar. But hey, that is just me.

I could be biased because the first ten times I was informed of his existence it was by watching someone quote 'Sargon's Law!' on the internet. From my understanding, Sargon's Law is 'If someone you don't like on the internet calls you stupid/sexist/smelly/sub-par at Pokemon Snap, then don't worry, they're just 'projecting', which means that actually they're the one who is stupid/smelly/the other stuff.' In other words, a fancy way of saying 'NO U' to every form of criticism.

Plus one of the videos of him I watched was him decrying someone who had apparently harassed him. The video was about 50% out of context Twitter screenshots and 50% Sargon repeatedly calling them a paedophile. That does not give the impression of an intelligent man that people should be happy to have the chance to debate.

I'll give him this - I have never personally seen anything that indicates that he is racist or misogynist or sub-par at Pokemon Snap.

Sargon is cool, and I tend to agree with most of what he says. I'm not sure of the video you're referring to, but purposefully misrepresenting someone just to attack their character really doesn't sound like him. KB is right, he's nothing if not honest.
An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:54 pm
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN88sK3Oq0A[/youtube]
World-Class SF player.
Spoiler

Street Fighter: Alpha 3 (Max)

Spoiler
Head for the Garden of Madness!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 am
I think it's probably for the best if I stop dragging things off-topic.

So, that MovieBob, huh? Even though I used to dislike him, I never really stopped watching his stuff (mainly so I could understand 'Overthinking the Overthinker' better) but I always skipped over the bits where he was trying to have some kind of story in the background of his show. Like, The Anti-Thinker and the Omega Thinker. Bleh. If I'm watching some guy explain why he thinks Capcom are stupid or Metroid: Other M isn't as bad as other people say, it's because I want watch that, not a guy in a costume punch another guy in a costume when I don't know who either of them are. But if some people like that... eh, I'm happy to just skip it and let them enjoy.
Ehsan makes awesome sigs.
https://twitter.com/g1Elmo3000
Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:58 am
Remember that time Movie Bob said Mario and Link would be ashamed of us "gamers" because of gamergate?

Then there was the time in his book about SMB3 where he said the reveal of SMB3 in The Wizard had greater importance to him than 9/11.

And then in the same book he said The Great Console Wars were like The Vietnam War?

This world...sometimes this world just has so much goddamn beauty...
I'm your Senpai's Senpai's favorite Senpai!
I Just Got the Bundle for Free
I Just Got the Bundle for Free
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:03 am
Chenson64 wrote:Remember that time Movie Bob said Mario and Link would be ashamed of us "gamers" because of gamergate?

Then there was the time in his book about SMB3 where he said the reveal of SMB3 in The Wizard had greater importance to him than 9/11.

And then in the same book he said The Great Console Wars were like The Vietnam War?

This world...sometimes this world just has so much goddamn beauty...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:52 am
Chenson64 wrote:Remember that time Movie Bob said Mario and Link would be ashamed of us "gamers" because of gamergate?

First time I saw that was when someone made an account with Mario avatar and replied 'Lol I think ur a muffin'. Then they posted it on some GG website where it got ten thousand thumbs or whatever.

Between those two sides, I would choose the guy who looks sort of like a hypocrite if you take three quotes about things out of context and present them simultaneously.
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:19 pm
Elmo 3000 wrote:

First time I saw that was when someone made an account with Mario avatar and replied 'Lol I think ur a muffin'. Then they posted it on some GG website where it got ten thousand thumbs or whatever.

Between those two sides, I would choose the guy who looks sort of like a hypocrite if you take three quotes about things out of context and present them simultaneously.

Then please enlighten us on how the context somehow makes those statements less ridiculous than they seem.
Final Jaws
Final Jaws
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 am
Had The Escapist not fired Bob from their site, he'd never had come crawling back. SA shouldn't have taken him back.
~My Two Cents
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:14 am
Chenson64 wrote:Then there was the time in his book about SMB3 where he said the reveal of SMB3 in The Wizard had greater importance to him than 9/11.

Just want to point out that he says the visual image has the same lasting effect as watching a national tragedy, that he will forever remember that scene.

I won't begrudge the man in trying to highlight the sexism in gaming and not condoning it. I can't say how much goes on in the industry but as an end user of the product there is sexism in the culture. And there will almost always will be some kind of sexism as there is racism in the world. With that said I still think you should try to avoid it as much as possible. Not going to get into GG because that shit is 50 shades of right and wrong.

Honestly I thought Razorfist did an amazing job of showing the "bad" side of Movie Bob. He does have a good side though. And I'll take the bad with the good as I think it makes an overall positive impact.

Spoiler
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5s_XMJbWG0[/youtube]

PSN: Nipps_the_Bear
3DS: 2466-3151-7359
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 am
Beelzebub wrote:Then please enlighten us on how the context somehow makes those statements less ridiculous than they seem.

How 'bout no?

Using quotations like that in arguments is completely stupid, it has always been stupid, and it will always be stupid. It's a combination of redundant mudslinging and changing the subject.

"Oh, MovieBob said GamerGate was bad? Well get a load of this - like 4 years ago he made an unflattering comparison to the JFK assassination, so, y'know, clearly he's just wrong about everything. Too soon, Bob! Too soon!"

Don't get me wrong, I think that 9/11 comment was completely stupid, but the idea that it somehow means his opinion on an entirely different matter is automatically also completely stupid, is completely stupid.
PreviousNext

Return to The Shows