RIP Hard News 2008-2014 (What are your Favorite Moments?)

SideScrollers, Best/Worst Ever!, One Minute Melee, Five Fun Facts, and more.

Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:16 am
We all know that Hard News has recently shut down. This is where we keep our fond memories to later look back at our favorite episodes of Hard News. I remember Hard news as early as it started where Destin was once the host. Then of course Jared, who I had met in person before he became ProJared, back at the Uncharted 3 theatre. While I'll miss one of my favorite news casts shows, I look forward to what's next for Screwattack! Favorite episode...that's really hard for me :p
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:43 pm
What the fuck was that last episode monologue by Sean? Hard News was there way before Sean, and is most certainly bigger than any individual, but that speech gave the impression that Sean had created the show all by himself, and that the show is more about Sean than it is about news in the world of video games.

I don't know why I'm getting so angry about that ending (especially since I haven't really cared for Hard News in a while), but it just seemed wrong. Like, have Craig say a few nice things and everyone does the finger-point, don't have Sean plug his Twitter and shit and go all "I've accumulated around 8,5 million views". I'm sure Sean is a great guy and all, but this was a wrong podium to promote yourself in my opinion.
Mr. ChaoticMeltdown is one rad dude
Two-time g1AfterDark Award-winner.
These Shades are Worth More than your Life
These Shades are Worth More than your Life
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:41 pm
Finn wrote:I don't know why I'm getting so angry about that ending (especially since I haven't really cared for Hard News in a while), but it just seemed wrong. Like, have Craig say a few nice things and everyone does the finger-point, don't have Sean plug his Twitter and shit and go all "I've accumulated around 8,5 million views". I'm sure Sean is a great guy and all, but this was a wrong podium to promote yourself in my opinion.

They did that in the penultimate episode, but I agree that it would've been more appropriate to save that for the very final one.

I have kind of mixed feeling about Hard News ending. On one hand, it was one of the very few old shows ScrewAttack's been doing regularly, but on the other hand, Hard News has become a very different from the show it once was. It used to be that most news stories were followed by jokes relating to said stories. In the more recent episodes, however, instead of jokes, we'd usually get just some random comments about the news.

Even when there were jokes in the more recent episodes, they were also very different (and in my opinion, worse) kind of humor than in the older episodes. I suppose it might be just a reflection the the several times the host/writer has changed over the years, but it honestly feels like more effort and care was put into the early show, which kind of makes sense considering that it was very much Destin's show. He'd even been doing a similar type of show before Hard News, so it was apparent this was something he very much wanted to do, unlike with Sean, who even himself said that he was supposed to be merely a temp host for the show but somehow got stuck with it.

To summarise my thoughts in a single sentence: Hard News had gone soft.

As for my favorite moments? Probably those promos Destin did when ScrewAttack was trying to move the show away from YouTube so that the YT audience would migrate to the new version 4 site. Those were pretty funny.

Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:39 pm
Ah...
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:38 pm
If only they sold the desk for Hard News if not give it away, I be more then happy to have it as part of a collection.

Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:25 pm
The Ancient One wrote:If only they sold the desk for Hard News if not give it away, I be more then happy to have it as part of a collection.

We will always have the desk in our hearts....
An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:40 pm
My favorite moment was Jared vs. The Wasp.

Return to The Shows