Has Screwattack lost the unique quality in their content?

SideScrollers, Best/Worst Ever!, One Minute Melee, Five Fun Facts, and more.
Squall's a Wuss
Squall's a Wuss
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:05 pm
The response could be a little skewed since most people on the forums are the v2/3 crowd who remember the old formats.
twitter: @g1brent
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:08 am
I fell out of love with the ScrewAttack content around the time v4 came around, I don't know if it was just my changing tastes or that the formula had gone a bit stale, but I lost all interest very quickly.

Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:50 am
I honestly haven't been interested in any of their content at all for the last few years, I don't even go to the main page anymore. I mostly kept up by listening to Sidescrollers but with that being gone the last 6 months I have no clue if any SA crew still works there. On the rare occasion I look on the main site I barely find any content at all, besides the same news posts I see on every other site (but a few days behind). I like most of the current and former SA crew as people and would love to see them succeed but I'm not sure they know where they're going or have a solid plan for the future. There is almost no traffic in the forums at all, which tends to happen when you let them disappear completely for several months. They've got a nice set of friends who started here and have gone on to bigger things on Youtube or IGN or wherever, so to some degree you could say their plan to allow people to create and promote their own content has been a good plan (and somewhat unique), but when it isn't promoted like it used to be, or even at all, then those people will go and generate money elsewhere. To create a following you need to have a set schedule of content release to keep people coming back, which they've completely abandoned. There's Hard News, yeah, but everything else has disappeared or randomly pops up now and then. The way things have been going I'm surprised the site even still exists, as they could just exist as a Youtube channel and save on costs.
King of Thieves
King of Thieves
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:36 am
To answer the title question: Yes. Very Much so. Heck, I've latched onto the Rooster Teeth folk for videogame stuff now. They still do things. :-\

Not touching their forums though...flippin labyrinth of sub forums o.o
Interweb~Metaking~Distro~Chaotic~Wulfon~Tiel~

Shiznita wrote:I hereby claim page 182 as mine, everyone stay out or else. Image
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:10 am
Just had an awesome idea for a Deathbattle and went straight to the Deathbattle wall to post it, only to find the wall has been removed and it's just a list of content. That's just proves my Theory even more. :(
Don't Think, Feel!
Don't Think, Feel!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:44 am
Shiznita wrote:To answer the title question: Yes. Very Much so. Heck, I've latched onto the Rooster Teeth folk for videogame stuff now. They still do things. :-\

Not touching their forums though...flippin labyrinth of sub forums o.o

Their forums are indeed a mess. xD
Faithful g1
Faithful g1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:08 am
Bring back that one show where Nick reported the game releases for the week , and if there is any releases for the week just have him stare at the camera.
Squall's a Wuss
Squall's a Wuss
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm
AcertainRX wrote:Bring back that one show where Nick reported the game releases for the week , and if there is any releases for the week just have him stare at the camera.

The Digital Forecast. A number of g1s did it for a while before that shut down too. The original show just didn't get the views.
twitter: @g1brent
On Nitro Level Cool
On Nitro Level Cool
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:35 am
"Has Screwattack lost the unique quality in their content?"

Yes, because every single time they cancelled a series, it was for the same reason: not enough views... which clearly read as "didn't generate enough ad revenue/money".

I really don't get it. You don't get money if you don't get enough views, that's true, but... how about making the next video better so it generates views? They're pulling the plug way too early. Maybe that last video didn't do well because of the subject, not because the series suck as a whole. Recently, they cancelled "Who is" and "Great Moments in Gaming History".

As for not generating enough money, I'm starting to think that they should consider getting sponsors even more, like "This video is brought to you by [this brand]". These days, there's a little thing called AdBlock. Many people see that as "a way to not show support". However, many people use AdBlock as protection from viral ads, spywares, trojan horses and other threats. Furthermore, the ad system on many sites is a hinderance. Your video cannot be viewed unless you watch an unskippable [long] ad, or it cuts in the middle of your video to present you an ad, or it plays with sounds, or even worse, the ad automatically redirects you to their own website after the ad finished playing, in addition of some of them being dangerous.

Little story: EventHubs, a popular fighting game community site, complains about this all the time, that they need money and that they want people to stop blocking ads. The problem is that I stopped supporting them when 1) my antivirus blocked not one, but TWO trojan horses disguised as ads on THEIR site and 2) even WITH AdBlock, some ads were still showing... after blocking between 20 to 75 ads per page. Yikes...

So yeah, ScrewAttack should make videos to make videos, not money. Hell, a few YouTubers at SGC said the same thing at their panels, like the Game Theorists and Jim Sterling, they should probably watch those. They should make their series better instead of pulling the plug.
King of Thieves
King of Thieves
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:42 am
JiCi wrote:"Has Screwattack lost the unique quality in their content?"

Yes, because every single time they cancelled a series, it was for the same reason: not enough views... which clearly read as "didn't generate enough ad revenue/money".

I really don't get it. You don't get money if you don't get enough views, that's true, but... how about making the next video better so it generates views? They're pulling the plug way too early. Maybe that last video didn't do well because of the subject, not because the series suck as a whole. Recently, they cancelled "Who is" and "Great Moments in Gaming History".

As for not generating enough money, I'm starting to think that they should consider getting sponsors even more, like "This video is brought to you by [this brand]". These days, there's a little thing called AdBlock. Many people see that as "a way to not show support". However, many people use AdBlock as protection from viral ads, spywares, trojan horses and other threats. Furthermore, the ad system on many sites is a hinderance. Your video cannot be viewed unless you watch an unskippable [long] ad, or it cuts in the middle of your video to present you an ad, or it plays with sounds, or even worse, the ad automatically redirects you to their own website after the ad finished playing, in addition of some of them being dangerous.

Little story: EventHubs, a popular fighting game community site, complains about this all the time, that they need money and that they want people to stop blocking ads. The problem is that I stopped supporting them when 1) my antivirus blocked not one, but TWO trojan horses disguised as ads on THEIR site and 2) even WITH AdBlock, some ads were still showing... after blocking between 20 to 75 ads per page. Yikes...

So yeah, ScrewAttack should make videos to make videos, not money. Hell, a few YouTubers at SGC said the same thing at their panels, like the Game Theorists and Jim Sterling, they should probably watch those. They should make their series better instead of pulling the plug.

This. I like this.
Interweb~Metaking~Distro~Chaotic~Wulfon~Tiel~

Shiznita wrote:I hereby claim page 182 as mine, everyone stay out or else. Image
PreviousNext

Return to The Shows