Has Screwattack lost the unique quality in their content?

SideScrollers, Best/Worst Ever!, One Minute Melee, Five Fun Facts, and more.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:46 am
I first came across Screwattack by watching their content on Gametrailers, later on after watching a top ten screwattack moments video I starting watching the content on the official site.

To which I instantly became a huge fan because it had a unique personality to it's videos and content that most gaming sites lacked. The sheer personalty and fun they put into their video content such as The Clip Of The Week, Day In The Life Of Screwattack/Random Awesomeness and Craig's crazy challenges and punishments really made Screwattack stand out of the crowd.

On top of that Sidescollers provided a link for the continuity to ask questions and communicate regardless of where they lived in the world, I loved telling my friend the crazy news stories and how they'd have a laugh with it such as Sam's Snake Whip joke, plus some of the middle segments where fantastic.

Over the past few years we've seen those shows discontinued leaving us with the generic content such as the top ten and out of the box. I was a bit iffy about the “Hey, Lets Play” series but I soon got into after the crazy voice acting in Banjo Kazooie, and hilarious overuse of the word “Bro” in Double Dragon Neon. But even that series was cut off which was a shame cause I know myself and a lot of G1s wanna see a play-though of Banjo Tooie.

But recently after seeing a post on the Screwattack facebook page stating “Since we started working with Fullscreen nothing's changed at ScrewAttack at all”, plus being reminded of the old days of the clip of the week by Parker's and Shawntern's recent video I've realized that they've lost that unique flare that I loved about the site.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy Hard News, Top 10/5 and Deathbattle videos but I miss that unique personality that used to be crammed into all of the site's content.

What do you think, I'm eager to hear other G1s thoughts on this matter?
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:31 pm
To me, SA still has the same feel, regardless of which videos they choose to put out. It does seem like they're cutting back, I would love to see more Real Trailers. Although some of their Worst Ever gets some hate, (worst zelda game; WEEEAAAK), as well as a certain other show that has versus fights and is about 60% of what makes the sight popular, Screwattack is still Screwattack.
"You are kind of weird, and that's okay. Normal people are boring."

The most BAMF momma's boy who ever lived
g1 of the Year 2014
g1 of the Year 2014
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:11 pm
it'll never be the same as it once was when i started.
g1 of the year 2014!
[D]ylan Too[2]mey[ME] = D2ME
My Twitter - My YouTube - My Facebook
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:11 pm
ScrewAttack is like nothing it was when I started watching their stuff (2008-ish), and I'm afraid that change hasn't been good, at least to me personally. It looks like that they've lost the spirit and fire to make fun and unique content in their own way, and instead do what everybody else is doing (news, let's plays etc). I ahven't even visited the main site in over a year now, bceause it doesn't interest me any more.
Mr. ChaoticMeltdown is one rad dude
Two-time g1AfterDark Award-winner.
Squall's a Wuss
Squall's a Wuss
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:24 pm
You really just have to look at all the people who left during the switch to v5 to know that things haven't improved.
twitter: @g1brent
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:39 pm
E3 is next week and a couple weeks after that is SGC so things are a bit hectic right now.

After that I hope we do see the return of Sidescrollers, The Clip, challenges/random awesome, and more personality driven content.
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:13 am
A lot of the shows seemed to have lost personality and it just feels like everything else you can find on a game website. Sidescrollers was my favourite thing that SA put out and that has been discontinued, and really none of the content asides from The Best Ever really interests me, and even then The Best Ever doesn't grab me all the time.

Feel like Giant Bomb's much better now at doing personality stuff in their content
Finn wrote:im gay

Modtalica
Modtalica
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:17 pm
Hellman101 wrote:A lot of the shows seemed to have lost personality and it just feels like everything else you can find on a game website. Sidescrollers was my favourite thing that SA put out and that has been discontinued, and really none of the content asides from The Best Ever really interests me, and even then The Best Ever doesn't grab me all the time.

Feel like Giant Bomb's much better now at doing personality stuff in their content

SideScrollers will be coming back in the near future.
PSN, Wii U, Steam and Twitter: christenm123
Don't Think, Feel!
Don't Think, Feel!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:32 pm
Been watching Rooster teeth's stuff for a long time now, and I feel like their content is a lot more like what SA's content used to be. In terms of tone, I mean. SA's content just feels more like part of a business now, which is why it kind of lost its magic.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:33 pm
It's sadly the way with most businesses. Small businesses put their heart and soul into their material and doing everything they can to stand out of the crowd, but as they become bigger they often lose sight of what made them unique.

As much as I am happy for the Screwattack crew's success following their partnership with Fullscreen, I had my fears that the Screwattack Network would have nothing of the personalty that had me checking the site on a regular basis.
True they put a lot of work into events like SGC but it has little to no meaning to G1s outside the US and unable to make such a long trip.

I would have voiced my concerns on their fullscreen live stream but most of the site's Live Streams happen at between 1-6 in the morning for me, which is why I'm not too fond of the rumored live stream format Sidescollers could be taking on.

BTW is it me or has it been a while since we saw a new Video Game Vault? I ask because I feel like I've seen most of the vaults uploaded recently, probably on Gametrailers or the old site.
Next

Return to The Shows