Is it wrong to use emulators?

Are your systems cool enough to have wood paneling?
Faithful g1
Faithful g1
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 am
I've never really used emulators until very recently and it's a huge lifesaver. It's helping me play a long list of retro games I had never even touched before. Final Fantasy 2 and 3 on SNES, Mega Man 4-6 on NES, Gargoyles Quest on Game Boy, etc. I'm loving them, the only problem. I've always been told how wrong it is to use emulators. Yeah some of the games are available on virtual console I guess but that doesn't exactly give me instant play. Plus, so many people use emulators that me using them doesn't make a difference at all. One last thing, I'm friends with people who run local game stores that tell me that emulators have actually boosted their sales of retro games because so many people have came to the store to buy a game because they played it on an emulator. So I don't see an issue, but so many people tell me it's wrong. However, I've always wondered what my fellow g1's opinions were on emulators like Zsnes and AdvanceBoy. Please tell me if you think their wrong and why. I'd love to know.
G1 since 2008. Xbox Live Gamer tag - HydroArctic720
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:27 am
I usually try to get games legitimately, but don't care that much if I end up using an emulator. There are plenty of games that are unreasonably expensive due to their rarity, and others that aren't available in the states.
"Hello there, Ms. Post-Apocalyptic Biker"
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:44 pm
If there's absolutely no way for the original developers to make another penny off of it, I say go for it. Of course, Steam/eShop ports are a thing nowadays.
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:43 pm
The only things I use them for are rom hacks/fan games and as the only way I could record for let's play purposes on the hardware I have.
Let's Play Sonic Spinball! Part 5: Showdown 2 - The Battle
Sun, I am Proud
Sun, I am Proud
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 am
Iron Joe wrote:If there's absolutely no way for the original developers to make another penny off of it, I say go for it. Of course, Steam/eShop ports are a thing nowadays.

Yep, if someone somehow started/advertised emu shortly after game's original launch - that would hurt them and be totally unlegit. But emulating ancient stuff is OK, and even studios won't care.

Faithful g1
Faithful g1
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:40 pm
It's not wrong if you emulate older games, like from the NES or Super Nintendo, especially because some games from those systems are incredibly expensive to buy them from Ebay or something.
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:46 pm
I don't really have any problem with emulation, especially when it comes to games that are expensive or have never been re-released on things like the eShop like Virtual Boy games. Usually I use emulation as a way to demo a game. For example, I went through the two worlds of Picross 2 on an emulator and enjoyed it, so I ended up getting a physical copy since it didn't cost all that much even if it did only get a Japan release.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:36 am
I agree with the others.. I'll go for emulation if the game is too expensive.. Otherwise it would be unfair..

Return to Retro, Indie, and Alternative Gaming