Undertale

Are your systems cool enough to have wood paneling?
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:18 pm
A nifty new indie game called Undertale came out a few weeks back, and has been getting a lot of buzz. I finally got around to playing a bit of it (only 1 or 2 hours), and am loving it so far. The Earthbound inspiration is blatant, but the game has a lot going for it. I particularly like the fact that you can go through the entire game talking your way out of trouble without killing a single monster. The humor is fantastic too.

Here's the trailer if you somehow haven't heard of it by this point.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hojv0m3TqA[/youtube]

Note spoilers for the game's story in the... Well, spoiled text.

Spoiler
It also apparently quite cleverly tracks your data and choices even if you don't save. Example: Early on in the game you have to fight your monster mother figure, Toriel. I accidentally ended up killing her with a critical hit, but since I knew I could get through the game as a pacifist, and didn't want to kill good old Goat Mom, decided to retry, and eventually figured out what I had to do. I proceeded to enter the monster-filled world, when a trollish plant monster started taunting me over the fact that I used the power of 'Save' to redo my decision.

Normally I really hate it when games (even ones I like) go, "Ha! I caught you doing a morally bad thing! You should feel like shit!". But here it was pretty cleverly done, and it makes sense for the character in question to be a judgmental asshole.

So, has anyone else given this game a shot? I'd like to hear others' thoughts, though please spoiler any big story-related content.
"Hello there, Ms. Post-Apocalyptic Biker"
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:17 pm
I'd not heard about this til now, but consider me intrigued! Where can one find & play this game at?
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:56 am
Abrams X wrote:I'd not heard about this til now, but consider me intrigued! Where can one find & play this game at?

It's on Steam. The game can also be brought or demo'd on the main site. http://undertale.com/
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:42 pm
I liked it better when it was called OFF tbh

Spoiler
When my day's done, sometimes I don't like the person I've become
Is the enemy within a thousand men? Should I walk the path if my world's so dead ahead?
All things must end, goodbye my friend
Think of me when you see the sun or feel the wind
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 pm
Joking aside, game looks pretty interesting. Will add it to my ever increasing bucket list.... which at this point I could probably print and then be able to give the Empire State Building a mummy costume for Halloween this year :geek:
When my day's done, sometimes I don't like the person I've become
Is the enemy within a thousand men? Should I walk the path if my world's so dead ahead?
All things must end, goodbye my friend
Think of me when you see the sun or feel the wind
A Smooth Criminal
A Smooth Criminal
classicgameguys wrote:I liked it better when it was called OFF tbh

Spoiler

Lolololol nice one.

Nooooope.

Rising Dragon
Rising Dragon
Seen a lot for this game lately, and my GF beat it. The morality system is amazing, and it's cool how the game varies so wildly in even genre, depending on how you play it. Also Lousy, it's not just data recording via not saving, if you beat the game and restart, some things can carry over there too.
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:45 pm
Tsubori wrote:Seen a lot for this game lately, and my GF beat it. The morality system is amazing, and it's cool how the game varies so wildly in even genre, depending on how you play it. Also Lousy, it's not just data recording via not saving, if you beat the game and restart, some things can carry over there too.

Yeah, my friend informed me that apparently when you download the game it places a roaming data file in your computer or something like that. Meaning you could eradicate all traces of the game from your hard drive, reinstall it, and provided that roaming save file is still around (which is should be since it's separate from all that) the game will still remember your past actions.
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:52 am
One of my favourite games of the year and in general.

Went into it with zero knowledge and was pleasantly surprised. Music, Writing, Gameplay, Characters, etc everything is fantastic!
g1 of the year 2011
g1 of the year 2011
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:45 am
I loved it sooooooooo much. Seeing this thread fills me with determination.
Next

Return to Retro, Indie, and Alternative Gaming