Board/Tabletop games thread

Are your systems cool enough to have wood paneling?
Scavenger Extraordinaire
Scavenger Extraordinaire
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:37 pm
NemesisTrestkon wrote:Where I come from, it's extremely rare to find someone that plays DnD or any game similar to that. Thought I'd give it a shot once I got my Shadowrun 5th Edition rulebook out. But I wonder, what tabletop RPGs have you tried out?

a game of dnd 3.5, a few rounds of a pathfinder campaign. simple stuff, nothing too hardcore serious. oh yeah, and someone's custom d6 system based around the Zelda universe as well.

Most commercial systems are well designed and balanced, but the game will only be good when you are playing with a good GM/DM.

if you really want to go experimental this compiled list is pretty neat. http://ericgarrison.wordpress.com/about/games/
just a bunch of free homebrewed systems, one i really want to try off there is the F-Zero game.
Spoiler
Moderator of the Unformed Lands
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:35 am
Well, I decided to try out Shadowrun because I like the setting and theme behind it. Cyberpunk mixed with magic is like a combination of two of my favorite meals. :D
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:43 am
Only time I played a tabletop RPG was just one D&D, only once. And that was probably over a decade ago, and I was playing with some random old guy, my cousin, his literal "one ton" now former friend, his wife, and someone I don't remember.

And then I just recently played with my cousin and his buddies a new D&D, based off of Assassin's Creed. It was only a "beta" test to get a feel. He and his buds also make a Pokemon D&D session as well.

Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:27 am
I've played AD&D, D&D 3.5, D&D 4.0, TROS, Werewolf, Traveler, World of Darkness, Scion, Sorcerer, Star Trek RPG, and the Star Wars RPG (D20), and maybe a few others I'm forgetting. D&D has the most material and is easier to break. Traveler has the most interesting character creation. The White Wolf games (WoD/Werewolf/Scion, Vampire: The Masquerade too which I haven't played) have probably the best writing in their manuals and a decently balanced system. TROS is for fantasy/medieval combat fanatics, where any one hit can easily kill someone. I've been the DM in D&D 3.5 and SWRPG campaigns as I know the D20 system best, but haven't gotten to play in one in many years, not even at Cons.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:15 pm
I've heard some good things about Vampire: The Masquerade. :D
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:53 pm
I was big into D&D 3.5 in college, and afterward played 4.0, Pathfinder, Rifts, and one short game of Vampire the Requiem that didn't last long. I've also been working on some home brew projects for some time now, both creating environments and adaptations in established systems (my most complete project to date is making an X-Men d20 game based mostly in d20 Modern) and home brewing my own system, though my system has a LONG way to go yet before it's any kind of playable. But I really enjoy tabletop games and role playing, because I love creating characters and worlds and being able to tell a story through them.
Let's Play Sonic Spinball! Part 5: Showdown 2 - The Battle
Final Jaws
Final Jaws
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:09 pm
Only tabletop RPG I tried was Cyberpunk, which was about six years ago. I played it with my friends for one night, and then we never touched it again. I guess my one friend who was leading the whole thing realized we didn't care for it. :P

It was interesting, though. The game had a system where you could get cybernetic implants, but each implant would take away a certain amount of your character's humanity. I liked the idea of the game but it was kinda hard to get into and keep playing on a weekly basis. I guess I'm more used to seeing this stuff in video game format.
HENSHIN A-GO-GO, BABY!
HENSHIN A-GO-GO, BABY!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:50 pm
Me and a group of my friends play D&D4 when we can but organizing a night to do it can be tough. We rotate DM because no one wants to be a dedicated one.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:05 am
I actually prefer DM'ing to playing a character, but I don't always do it in our group of friends. Playing characters is incredibly fun too.
Let's Play Sonic Spinball! Part 5: Showdown 2 - The Battle
Sun, I am Proud
Sun, I am Proud
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:52 pm
I've played DnD ONE time and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but we never got back together to continue the journey. A couples years back, I was looking for a different table top experience and came across 2 Horror/Adventure games, but can't remember their names for the life of me. I remember both being around $40-$60 each and they seemed to have tons of replayability. Almost wish I could think of those names, I'd be able to buy them at this point.
PreviousNext

Return to Retro, Indie, and Alternative Gaming