Board/Tabletop games thread

Are your systems cool enough to have wood paneling?
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:19 pm
Didn't see one, made one.
Yesterday, some friends and I started a D&D group, we only made our characters, but I can tell I'm going to like this game.
We also played Axis & Allies, which is kind of like Risk set in WWII if you haven't played it, great fun.
<3 ChaoticMeltdown
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:38 pm
Axis and Allies is really fun but the hour setup time is a real bummer.

Used to play a lot of Last Night on Earth, need to get back into that.
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11 pm
CLUE ftw.

I dislike tabletop games that take so long. I can barely stand monopoly.
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:39 am
JohnnyFarrar wrote:CLUE ftw.

That is because everyone always plays house rules that put too much money into the economy and it takes forever for someone to go bankrupt. You can't play money under free parking or $400 for landing on go or you can't buy property on your first trip around the board. Once players control a color group and start building, the game goes pretty quick.
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:48 am
Fox wrote:Axis and Allies is really fun but the hour setup time is a real bummer.

Yeah, definitely.
Something that disappoints me is that there isn't a single gaming store, fuck, not even a goddam TOY STORE in my entire CITY.
The nearest one is two towns over, and a 3 hour walk (D)
<3 ChaoticMeltdown
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:39 pm
churoasasin wrote:
Fox wrote:Axis and Allies is really fun but the hour setup time is a real bummer.

Yeah, definitely.
Something that disappoints me is that there isn't a single gaming store, fuck, not even a goddam TOY STORE in my entire CITY.

You might want to look up Hobby and Comic stores in your area. They seem to be the only place to get some of the high end board games. There are a ton of really cool A+A skirmish sets that focus on single historical battles and have a shorter playtime that you should check out.
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 pm
Fox wrote:
churoasasin wrote:

Yeah, definitely.

You might want to look up Hobby and Comic stores in your area. They seem to be the only place to get some of the high end board games. There are a ton of really cool A+A skirmish sets that focus on single historical battles and have a shorter playtime that you should check out.

I do believe there is a comic store fairly close to my house, I'll check it out when I have time to.
<3 ChaoticMeltdown
Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 am
Fox wrote:
JohnnyFarrar wrote:CLUE ftw.

That is because everyone always plays house rules that put too much money into the economy and it takes forever for someone to go bankrupt. You can't play money under free parking or $400 for landing on go or you can't buy property on your first trip around the board. Once players control a color group and start building, the game goes pretty quick.

Do you know those cards that let you buy houses & hotels for cheaper prices? I believe there's one Chance card like that and one Community Chest card like that. Is the player who picks those cards up allowed to hold onto them until they own all the property of a color so they could start buying houses or are they supposed to relinquish the card if they pick it up before the rules allow them to buy houses/hotels or if they choose not to use it when picked up? Because I remember when first playing the game with my brother, we used to hold onto it for the entire game. Then we played with our cousin & he said you're supposed to put it back if you use it or if you don't or can't use it after your turn when you picked it up.
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 am
There are no cards that allow you to buy houses and hotels cheaper. There are cards that ask you to make repairs to all houses and hotels that can seriously hurt you late in the game. Building houses/hotels is a big risk/reward and making them cheaper kind of breaks the game.
Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 am
Really? All this time I thought those cards cheapened the price to buy houses to $10 (or whatever the price per house was shown on the cards).

Do those cards apply to the houses/hotels of the player who picks them up or the houses/hotels of the other players in the game?
Next

Return to Retro, Indie, and Alternative Gaming