Hyperkin Retron 1 HD

Are your systems cool enough to have wood paneling?
Admin of Legend
Admin of Legend
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 pm
I picked the Retron 1 HD up because it didn't actually emulate and had an HD connection, so I assumed that it would eliminate the non-CRT lag you sometimes get with an NES 101. This would make games like Punch-Out!! a bit less insane to play, so I said what the hell because the price was beyond cheap.

What I found out that it's not emulation in terms of software -- it's the hardware that's emulated with a system-on-a-chip style system. It had no problems playing my games, and I knew it didn't emulate software because dirty carts wouldn't play until I cleaned them. So far, so good.

The real kick in the face is just how poorly the SOC handles the software. Weird color palettes, the music is slower than normal and sometimes just completely off, and sometimes it lags more than an NES 101 -- yes, with HDMI output. I was baffled.

TL;DR: You get what you pay for, and I suggest staying the hell away from it.
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:55 pm
Stories like this are why I will personally stick with legit 1st party hardware
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm
I too know the pain of crappy NES clone systems; had a Retro Mini X and the screen died after like 3 weeks. Plus only a little over half of my NES games actually worked on the thing.

The Retron 5 sounds sweet on paper, but I've heard a lot of problems with the system, especially involving power failures. Getting a RetroUSB AVS, Analogue NT, or RGB/HDMI modded NES would probably be a better option. Or if you're like me and want a cheap simple way of playing older games with decent video quality, a softmodded Wii works well.

Return to Retro, Indie, and Alternative Gaming