Sega: Ultimate Portable Player

DS/3DS, Vita, PSP, Iphone, Droid
Faithful g1
Faithful g1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:00 pm
I'm sincerely fascinated by clone consoles. The idea that you can play retro content on a machine developed or not developed by the original manufacturer simply intrigues me. Perhaps the most popular clone console out right now is the NES Classic Edition. At the time of this posting... yeah... try finding one that isn't listed at $250 or higher. Well... no worries. There are alternatives. Such as the SEGA Ultimate Portable Player.

At Games started producing a SEGA Plug N Play/Console clone some years back, following it up with a portable player down the line. They landed an official license agreement with SEGA down the line and started making headway several years ago when they started selling these machines at major retailers.

The SEGA Ultimate Portable Player is perhaps my favorite of the current Plug N Play consoles out there on the market. While it does pug into the TV, it is ultimately a completely independent device with a built in battery and a built in screen. It has 80 games installed, 39 for which are officially licensed Genesis games and 41 that are Home Brew games.

What I love about this system is that it's probably the best portable genesis ever released. The Nomad was a nice idea, but it sucked up batteries in a few short hours. More so, you were limited to playing only the games that you owned the cartridge to. Here you have a really nice collection of 39 official games installed on the Ultimate Portable, including the like of Sonic 1 and 2, Vector Man 1 and 2, and even Phantasy Star 2 and 3. Now when I speak of the games included, I am talking about At Games' 2016 model, the newest in the line. Having all of this with a battery life of about 6 hours and a rechargeable battery within itself is truly an amazing deal.

Now... the machine isn't without drawbacks. While the games look and play nearly identical to the original games, the sound on this portable is noticeably off. This is perhaps the most common complaint among gamers. Equally, the only games that allow you to save game progress are games that At Games programmed a save state into. But considering most games bundled into this system never had save states to begin with, this isn't much of an issue. Phantasy Star 2 and 3, as well as all the other RPGs included on this device can be saved.

All in all, flaws and all, I love having a portable Genesis with a nice library of games and a rechargeable battery. It's can't truly replace the Genesis, but it can give you a nice nostalgic gaming experience on the go.

Have any of you tried this portable? If so, what do you think? Favorite games on the system? Let's discuss.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQB8gFTJbOZQSvu16UdiX_w

Return to Handheld Gaming