Fire Emblem Thread

DS/3DS, Vita, PSP, Iphone, Droid
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:30 pm
Playing conquest myself as well. I'm around chp 8 or so. The choice was pretty heart wrenching. Only character that's struck a cord with me so far is felecia, given how devoted she is.

Bring on stars.
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:11 pm
ultraguy wrote:Playing conquest myself as well. I'm around chp 8 or so. The choice was pretty heart wrenching. Only character that's struck a cord with me so far is felecia, given how devoted she is.

I haven't gotten to Felecia yet on account of playing through the game as a female avatar. Is anyone else doing that for their first playthrough?
"Hello there, Ms. Post-Apocalyptic Biker"
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:17 am
So how does this series stack up to Shining Force?
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:47 pm
Fox wrote:So how does this series stack up to Shining Force?

I've only played the first Shining Force (maybe I'll buy the 2nd one on steam), but someone who enjoyed Shining Force would probably like the FE games. It has been a while, but I recall Shining Force being much easier than the pre-Awakening (and Classic Mode Conquest) FE games. You could lose an entire battle, and simply retry with any experienced you gained from the lost battle still being added to your units. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not an option in most FE games. The newer games have added a Casual Mode that works kind of like that, but expect more retries if you're new to the series and want to beat one of the older games with all of your units alive.
"Hello there, Ms. Post-Apocalyptic Biker"
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:03 am
TheLousyTactician wrote:
Fox wrote:So how does this series stack up to Shining Force?

I've only played the first Shining Force (maybe I'll buy the 2nd one on steam), but someone who enjoyed Shining Force would probably like the FE games. It has been a while, but I recall Shining Force being much easier than the pre-Awakening (and Classic Mode Conquest) FE games. You could lose an entire battle, and simply retry with any experienced you gained from the lost battle still being added to your units. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not an option in most FE games. The newer games have added a Casual Mode that works kind of like that, but expect more retries if you're new to the series and want to beat one of the older games with all of your units alive.

Yeah I think Shining Force has the advantage there. You take a gold hit so you don't want to lose units, but you don't have perma-death that would make later battles harder. So what happens your characters die? Do you get new lvl 1 recruits or does the game just become unwinnable?

Complete. Global. Saturation.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:01 am
Fox wrote:Yeah I think Shining Force has the advantage there. You take a gold hit so you don't want to lose units, but you don't have perma-death that would make later battles harder. So what happens your characters die? Do you get new lvl 1 recruits or does the game just become unwinnable?

When a unit's HP reaches 0 in Classic mode, you lose it permanently, and don't get replacements. This can make the game unwinnable, if all your strong units die (At least on Conquest or most Pre-Awakening games. On Birthright, Revelations and Awakening grinding new units is easier). You get a game over if a main character dies. In Fates, this basically means your avatar (Who is the only unit who needs to survive), but it can vary.
In Awakening, the game right before Fates, Chrom also needed to survive. Typical note: If a Unit ever has the word 'Lord' as part of its main class, chances are you get a game over if they're killed. Only Lucina is exempt from this.
Transcode #003: Mega Man! EM Wave Change, Geo Stelar, on the air!

Wave Battle, Ride On!
Previous

Return to Handheld Gaming