Grandpa, thank you for buying me this game

DS/3DS, Vita, PSP, Iphone, Droid
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:15 am
One time when I was little, my grandpa took me out and bought me a game for the Gameboy. It was some platformer where you controlled a little car. My grandpa was a security guard in a factory near my place. With only modest pay, he really did spend it all to make us kids happy. Unfortunately, the game was unforgiving with one hit deaths. I lost patience after only a short time and put the game aside. When we moved houses, I lost the cartridge.

My grandpa past away over a decade ago. Since then, I have been looking for this game that he had bought me. The game's title was in Japanese, which I was unable to read at the time. I asked on several forums but my description ran a bell for nobody. Many years later, I had more or less given up.

Then, several months ago, when I was searching for something completely unrelated on Google Images, I stumbled upon a screenshot of the game. As it had been so long, I was unsure if this really was the same game I had played as a kid. I investigated, and as I launched the game and that level one music played, I almost teared up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kGXGeP3NA[/youtube]

It pleased me so much to finally have a second chance to play this game. Though an obscure title, it is important to me because of the backstory involved. I am now looking for a copy of the game, but it is difficult, being such an underground game, so to speak.

Thank you! If anyone has similar stories, feel free to share it :mrgreen:.

(By the way, would love some help on how to embed YouTube videos using the YouTube tag? I tried pasting in the full link but that did nothing.)
Last edited by InvertMouse on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter: @InvertMouse
Rising Dragon
Rising Dragon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:14 pm
Great story! Everyone here has probably experienced a similar gratification to a particular game due to a context personal to them. And that's what's great about video games - my experience with one game will be different from yours. In your case, you attached a personal family relationship to a particular video game. Hopefully you can find that game on eBay or in a gaming shop so you can relive your experience.

As for posting Youtube videos, post the full URL in between the Youtube code, but remove the S from https.

Your code will look like:
Code: Select all
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kGXGeP3NA[/youtube]
Do you love video games? What about heavy metal music? I have a fun blog that satisfies both cravings. Check it out:
Spoiler
Pokemon ORAS Secret Base!!
Spoiler
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:19 pm
Thanks djbmetal1--looks like that worked! Indeed, everyone's backstory to a game is different. Feel free to share some tales folks 8-)~
Twitter: @InvertMouse

Return to Handheld Gaming