Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

DS/3DS, Vita, PSP, Iphone, Droid
Rising Dragon
Rising Dragon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm
Y'know, I was going to post here, but I didn't want to necro the topic. Anyway...

I have no idea how I objectively feel about this game completely. I can say that I enjoyed it less than I did 999, but that's about it. I have no idea if I'd rank it a good or great game or not.

It did fix one or two of 999's biggest grievances with me, you can jump to decisions now instead of playing the game from the beginning in order to just chose a different path, but the plot asks you to even further suspend your belief with several details. Unlike the first game, some of these developments are not as sufficiently foreshadowed as the one big one was in 999.

Not to mention the ending of the game was 1 to 2 hours of just explaining the plot.
Part-Time Alien Buster
Part-Time Alien Buster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:29 pm
neoswordmaster wrote: but the plot asks you to even further suspend your belief with several details.

I don't know, there was a lot of shit in 999 that you had to suspend your belief, I'd say it was the same amount in VLR as there was in 999. The ending was no where near as good as 999's twist, but it is the middle of a series, and there's obviously more to the ending that we'll find out in ZE3
Finn wrote:im gay
Rising Dragon
Rising Dragon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm
Hellman101 wrote:
neoswordmaster wrote: but the plot asks you to even further suspend your belief with several details.

I don't know, there was a lot of shit in 999 that you had to suspend your belief, I'd say it was the same amount in VLR as there was in 999. The ending was no where near as good as 999's twist, but it is the middle of a series, and there's obviously more to the ending that we'll find out in ZE3

999 Spoilers
Spoiler
The Morphogenic Field twist with Akane was foreshadowed across the entire game. Over the course of a playthrough, the game progressively gives you believable information to suggest the plausibility of the Morphogenic Field.

By contrast...
VLR Spoilers
Spoiler
The Myrmidions and cult "Free the Soul" are just sort of thrown out there as a plot point. Radical-6, and the ensuing post-apocalyptic world, is better introduced, but it still blind sides the player a bit.

That being said, developing upon use of the Morphogenic Field as an actual gameplay mechanic is a great idea and works well.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:38 am
I heard recently that the company behind 999 and VLR are having a hard time securing funds to develop the final game. That sucks! Hopefully they will manage something at some point in the future. Kickstart it if they have to. I am keen to play it :).
Twitter: @InvertMouse
Previous

Return to Handheld Gaming