Common Sense Con Rules from a Con N00b

Talk about SGC and the Iron Man of Gaming.

Sun, I am Proud
Sun, I am Proud
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm
Posted this earlier on my ScrewAttack blog, but it might be better served posted in the forums. Here's hoping I can make it this time since I've already registered :). Murphy's Law and all that.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/common-sense-con-rules-con-n00b
--------------------------------------------

Since I decided to take the plunge and register for SGC and I was thinking about how I could get the most out of my convention experience, avoid my OCD kicking in at the last minute, and in general not being a nuisance to those around me. It's my first vacation in years. So I created a list of rules for myself and thought maybe I could both help others as well as get more pointers from convention veterans. Main experience I have with conventions is SXSW in my hometown of Austin, TX, where I volunteered on the tech showcase/game tournament/networking setup.

Also I'm looking for a room, would like to share in order to save money (own bed please) hint hint?

Planning:

1. Plan for an extra one or two nights. Who knows who you might meet or how you might get sidetracked. By plan I mean if you take off time for work, take off the days around the convention as well as the days of the convention if you can. Extra time to plan, recuperate, etc. Don't pay for extra hotel days unless you have something confirmed.
2. Holy crap, book your rooms or find accommodation in advance. Don't be that person that sleeps in their car or in the motel/hotel lobby,Whataburger. MMmm...Whataburger.
3. Fully equipped toiletries kit.
4. Whatever you take, keep an inventory separately. Include serial numbers if you are taking important hardware (game systems, cameras, GPS).
5. If you bring a computer, make backups of your hard drive and use encryption (BitLocker, PGPGuard, etc.).
6. Bring all necessary adapters, chargers, etc. and be sure that's on your inventory/serial list. Portable devices and their associated accessories are some of the most stolen items.
7. If driving, check/service car beforehand (oil, tires, etc.). Don't be an idiot and leave expensive items or things showing your address visible through the glass.
8. If flying in, get to the airport early, know your chosen airline's fees and regs. If taking a cab, use an actual cab company, not Bob's taxi cab and tattoo service, etc.
9. If meeting someone, call, email, use pictures, whatever to where you know when, where, how you will meet.
10. Don't forget money. I don't think Whataburger (ambrosia) accepts traveler's checks. If coming from overseas, get your money exchanged into US dollars at a recognized exchange station or bank, you might get screwed at a backstreet shop.
11. Plan side trips in advance, money required, luggage space required for trinkets.
12. BADGE!

Wherever You're Staying:

1. If you're sharing a room, don't be a jerk (take things, dirty the bathroom, leave your crap on the floor).
2. Whether you're sharing a room or not, don't make things unnecessarily difficult for management/staff. Don't do anything that would come back to staff organizing the convention that helped get you that great group rate at a nice place.
3. Remember your room number. Seriously, you'll feel like a moron if you have to ask the front desk (personal experience). Also know where you put your room key/card.
4. Don't be obnoxious to other guests (see 2).
5. Don't be Borat (see 2).
6. Don't streak down hallways (see 5).
7. Plan your route from your room to the convention. Especially important if the convention and room are in different facilities.
8. Keep track of your kids if you're a chaperone.
9. Check your vehicle each day if you drove in, things happen.
10. BADGE!

On the Convention floor:

1. Don't be a jerk. Being a jerk can ruin your holiday.
2. Wear deodorant and/or anti-perspirant.
3. Remember Thumper: "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all"...except trash talk in gaming. That's acceptable (within reason), just be a good sport. Don't be like an angry 12-year-old on multiplayer (no offense if you're a 12 year-old and you don't scream obscenities into your headset).
4. If you're buying things, take into account you have to take them back to your room or carry them around. Also, people steal things (GASP!) so be careful.
5. If you attend panels, be respectful in when you offer commentary, don't interrupt the speaker. If you do you will annoy others and you may be destroyed by the speaker, either with lasers or with words.
6. Keep track of your kids if you're a chaperone.
7. When greeting the sponsors of the convention, a bit of hero-worship and feet-kissing may be expected. Seriously though, just be nice, don't go apes**t.
8. Use good gaming etiquette.
9. Use good photography etiquette. Seriously. If someone's playing a game and you keep causing strobing glares on the screen from continuous photography, bad things happen. I have seen it.
10. If wearing a costume, keep in mind that you will be in it for a while. If it is bulky it may be difficult to sit down and play games or attend panels (I'm talking to you, guy in a giant Warhammer suit that came to SXSW).
11. Remember turnabout is fair play. If you play pranks, or are a nuisance to those around you, remember that it can boomerang, sometimes with more force.
12. Energy drinks can only take you so far in lieu of sleep.
13. KNOW WHERE THE BATHROOMS ARE. The March of the Penguins is not something I want to see people doing on the Con floor.
14. BADGE!

Checking out and leaving:
1. Verify what you pack against your inventory
2. Turn in your room key, pay if you need to.
3. Call a cab if you need one.
4. If you drove, check over your car before you start driving.
5. Be safe!

Back at home:

1. Tell everyone what a great time you had to drum up support for the next SGC!

Again, I welcome constructive additions to my list and other feedback. I hope this can help more than just me.
Last edited by PineyCreek on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun, I am Proud
Sun, I am Proud
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:08 pm
Might already have a room :), disregard that. I'll check the appropriate thread if I need to renegotiate.
Best Backpack Ever
Best Backpack Ever
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 pm
A+ topic, this should be a sticky!
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:17 am
I can't stress On the Convention Floor #2 enough.

Sun, I am Proud
Sun, I am Proud
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:21 am
downwithopc wrote:I can't stress On the Convention Floor #2 enough.

Amen brother. There's some stinky fanboys out there (and stinky fangirls too...I'm an equal opportunity offender).
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:30 am
PineyCreek wrote:

Amen brother. There's some stinky fanboys out there (and stinky fangirls too...I'm an equal opportunity offender).

I remember at SGC 2009, it seemed like just a select few individuals had an odor emanating from their bodies. At SGC 2010, you could smell the rank from all the way down the hallway into the lobby! I can only imagine how the hotel cleaning service must have felt after that weekend. My girlfriend even came with me to the 2010 event, and flat out refused to go with me this year simply because of the smell!
An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm
downwithopc wrote:
PineyCreek wrote:

I remember at SGC 2009, it seemed like just a select few individuals had an odor emanating from their bodies. At SGC 2010, you could smell the rank from all the way down the hallway into the lobby! I can only imagine how the hotel cleaning service must have felt after that weekend. My girlfriend even came with me to the 2010 event, and flat out refused to go with me this year simply because of the smell!

Its a rule of cons. The longer they go on, the more people begin to show up. The more people in one place, the more who don't bathe.
ChaoticMeltdown does another amazing signature.
Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 pm
The three friends joining me on this adventure always get up on me for planning this stuff super early (like around February). They obviously don't know how serious I take pre-planning a trip, especially for a convention. xD Two of them never even been to one, so this will be their first time.

Great tips by the way; something I can keep on hand before the con!
LET'S PICK ON THE NEW KID: SHAYMIN.

You'll be a Hero, in Time
You'll be a Hero, in Time
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:39 am
I don't want to suggest a Fabreeze Tag....
It'll blind someone....

Seal Fodder
Seal Fodder
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:22 am
Also this is the Hyatt Regency and not the Westin. I am fairly sure the hi-jinks that most people got away with at the Westin in previous years definitely will not be tolerated at the Hyatt. They have a fairly crack security team with monitored cameras everywhere. Dopey crap may have you ejected from the hotel or worst case police called.

From attending previous cons there (Anime Fest for years) they also tend to be elevator nazi, if you don't have a key to a room you can't ride the main elevators. (If your staying there make sure you have some with you that has a key card to the room to ride the elevators)
Next

Return to ScrewAttack Gaming Convention