Favorite Animes?/Anime you can't stand

Because life is better in 4 colors.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm
For favorites, I generally tend to stick to the ones I watched when I first got into anime, mainly the stuff on Toonami and Adult Swim when I was in high school and college:
early Dragon Ball Z (up through the Cell saga)
Cowboy Bebop
the various Gundam series (primarily Wing)
Trigun
Outlaw Star

More recent favorites that I've watched include Death Note and Attack on Titan.

The "Golden Trio" (One Piece, Naruto and Bleach) have all gone on far too long and suffer the same flaws as DBZ's later stages in terms of power creep, overabundance of filler, and comic-book levels of "Continuity? What's that?". Problems that comics themselves, no matter where they come from, also go through. As mentioned above, I enjoyed DBZ to a point, as well as One Piece and Bleach (never liked Naruto) but eventually they all hit a point for me where I just fell out of them.

Other anime I don't care for:
Elfen Lied (holy crap is that show dark and depressing as hell! I couldn't even finish it)
Fooly Cooly (what is even going on in that show?)
Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo Bo (just... No No No No No No No)
Kill la Kill (watched a couple episodes and it just annoyed me more than anything)
pretty much every other modern shounen... I just see through the standard shounen formula too easily, the genre has become too boring and predictable
Let's Play Sonic Spinball! Part 5: Showdown 2 - The Battle
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:05 pm
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is lit, so is Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star. Others that are good are both FMAs, Early Naruto, One Piece, One Punch Man, Berserk, Tokyo Ghoul, Dragonball Z Kai, Kill la Kill, Cory in the House, Drake and Josh, and Dukes of Hazzard.

I can't stand Fairy Tail or SAO.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:45 am
My favorites have gotta be Jojo, Kill La Kill, Soul Eater, and surprisingly Amagi Brilliant Park.

Although, I can't fucking stand Medaka Box.
"In other words…a worthless person will always be worthless, no matter what he does."
The Other Ripley
The Other Ripley
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:10 pm
Favorites:

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - Always somehow managing to provide the unexpected, this show does what so many shows on Cartoon Network today try so hard to do, but unlike them, it actually succeeds. The randomness feels much more natural than that of Uncle Grandpa or Teen Titans Go. Cringe moments aren't just something you have to look past like they are in modern cartoons. As weirded out as I might get, I've only cringed once in 30 episodes. That's a lot better than multiple times in every episode, like modern cartoons.

One Punch Man - Good dialogue and great premise. The anime's animation and art style are wonderful. It has its funny moments, it has its hype moments, and overall, the series never has a feeling of forgetting what it's about, like too many anime do. Y'know, like Fairy Tail.

Can't stand:

One Punch Man - Can't stand the Saitama wank, man.

There are a lot of anime that I can see the objective quality of, but just clearly aren't my thing. AoT, Berserk, Death Note, things like that. I have a glass heart.

I liked SAO and Soul Eater when I watched them, but I just can't look back on them with a smile on my face. I liked Death the Kid and Excalibur, but couldn't really get invested in the other characters, and had a difficult time understanding that Maka is, in fact, the main protagonist. The focus on her in that weird ending (that I know is anime-exclusive) kinda threw me off.

Honorable mention goes to Kirby: Right Back At Ya. I haven't really sat down and watched this (at least not yet), but from what I've seen, while I wouldn't put it up there with Bobobo and OPM, it's quite possibly the most enjoyable cartoon series based on a video game, ever.

Sonic X was good for one season, and then it went the inevitable way of Sonic: trying to be extremely serious and failing miserably.

Pokémon has its moments and therefore deserves a shout-out. Honestly, the first season isn't that much less cringey than gen 5 imo, but gen 6 seems to be an improvement from what I've seen.

Once I finish Bobobo, I intend to watch Hajime no Ippo. Looks good.
Unlike you people, I get my news from a reliable source. Image
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:22 pm
Defectminus wrote:My favorites have gotta be Jojo, Kill La Kill, Soul Eater, and surprisingly Amagi Brilliant Park.

Although, I can't fucking stand Medaka Box.

I really gotta add Panty Stocking and Garterbelt to my favorites list. Too bad its not gonna get another season.
"In other words…a worthless person will always be worthless, no matter what he does."
Party Demon
Party Demon
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:15 pm
Animes I like:
Panty and Stocking
One Punch Man
Pokemon
Kill la Kill
Kirby Right Back at Ya
Dragon Ball

At the moment I don't really have any anime shows I dislike
Rising Dragon
Rising Dragon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:16 pm
Quick, i'm searching an anime to watch. What do you people recommand if I liked these shows:
-Girls und Panzer;
-Hellsing Ultimate;
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure;
-Kill la Kill;
-Neon Genesis Evangelion;
-Panty & Stocking;
-Shinryaku! Ika Musume;
- Soul Eater;
-Gurren Lagann ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:49 am
RWBY is the best animorphs

coolmancool wrote:Quick, i'm searching an anime to watch. What do you people recommand if I liked these shows:
-Girls und Panzer;
-Hellsing Ultimate;
-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure;
-Kill la Kill;
-Neon Genesis Evangelion;
-Panty & Stocking;
-Shinryaku! Ika Musume;
- Soul Eater;
-Gurren Lagann ?

One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 are pretty good. I've also heard that My Hero Academia is really good as well

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:27 am
Animes I really enjoyed:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (Including Carnival Phantasm)
Boku no Hero Academia
Puella Magi Madoka Magicka
No Game, No Life
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds
Boku dake ga Inai Machi AKA ERASED
Uchuu Patrol Luluco
Konosuba

Animes I'm okay with but didn't massively enjoy. I find their flaws are pointed out a bit much though:
Naruto (Though select moments, ESPECIALLY Episodes 476 and 477, were brilliant).
Sword Art Online (Not as bad as people say it is. It gets way too much hate.)
Gakuen Toshi Asterisk AKA The Asterisk War (Same situation as SAO. Gets way too much hate.).
Toradora!
Pokemon XY&Z veers between this and massive enjoyment. It was a big roller coaster of good and bad (Bad being stuff like Ash losing the Kalos League, good being... just about anything else involving Ash-Greninja.)

Animes I just don't like:
One Piece (The pacing... it's too slow... UGGGHHH)
Log Horizon (A similar problem to One Piece. There's not enough action).
Ace Attorney (Botched the adaptation even more than the Danganronpa Anime).
Danganronpa The Animation (A poor adaptation of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc).
Transcode #003: Mega Man! EM Wave Change, Geo Stelar, on the air!

Wave Battle, Ride On!

Seal Fodder
Seal Fodder
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:18 pm
Well damn, I'm surprised this went 15 pages and I'm the first person to mention Black Lagoon.

Spoiler

Seriously, that anime is just sooo good. It's in some ways like what what happen if someone made a "John Woo film-inspired anime". Hell, Black Lagoon's like THE go to anime I show people when they try to say no anime has a good dub.

I'll admit most of the other non-DBZ anime I've enjoyed a lot has been game-related stuff like Steins;Gate (the movie as well), and Persona 4: The Animation. I enjoyed .Hack/Sign, but I can get why people don't. I also have to admit to liking the Danganronpa 3 anime, even though I tend to watch it subbed on account of not being sure on why they went with who they did for a couple of the VAs.
Previous

Return to Comics, Anime, and Manga