The Last Film You Watched 5: A New Beginning

See any good moviefilms lately? Let us know!
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:15 am
Whitly wrote:Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I'm literally, and personally, torn on this one. Part of me wants to call this a pandering, unimpressive, fan-baiting, original trilogy-humping piece of derivative dogsh*t. It does very little, if anything, new, and the few things that ARE new are unsubtle nods to the original film from 1977. The movie is relentlessly trying to wash people's mouths out after the prequels, but since I never once hated those films it feels like an unnecessary palate cleanser. And I know people will eat it up anyway, but I can't help but feel bitter that the only acknowledgement of myself in the equation will forever be a cheap throwaway line.

On the other hand, this is brilliant filmmaking. The way it ties everything together is great, and its villain is instantly and cleverly humanized. And its final shot and big shock moment are excellent.

In short, I'm kinda not sure what to make of this movie. Was I satisfied? Yes. Do I want more? Yes. But I wasn't blown away like the movie purports to have promised...

I kinda agree. I like it because it has its own story, its own characters and its own themes, despite heavily referencing the old trilogy. It also lacks a lot of the stupid shit (I would say questionable acting too, but I felt like this movie had its fair share) that the prequels where bogged down with, like that fucking awful "Anakin was conceived by the Force" plot point. It's different from the original trilogy, both in tone and in style and that is proof that Star Wars doesn't have to be made by George Lucas in order to be good. I kinda see it as a celebration of Star Wars. This is how this generation, the generation who grew up in a society crazy about Star Wars, would make the trilogy.

Still, I still see your point. The story had little of what I hadn't seen before, and part of me feels like it was just made by Disney so they could make huge sums of money on our senses of nostalgia. But I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy the movie, like seeing Han Solo and Chewie on the Milennium Falcon and seeing C-3PO and R2-D2 converse.
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:42 am
Kiki's Deliver Service

It was really charming and cute. I wished witches would were actually real, and well respected than feared.
King of Thieves
King of Thieves
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:01 pm
Did I forget to mention that The Big Short is great? Because it is...
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:49 am
The Hateful Eight

Gotta love this movie for its high tension and great conversations between one another. Also Ennio Morricone's music is absolutely sublime, makes me want to finish the Man with No Name Trilogy.
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:36 pm
The Revenant

Very beautifully shot, can't believe this was all done by natural lighting. Also, props to all those prairemen in the olden days who had to brave the wilds and blistering cold winters with nothing but their wits.

Also, Tom Hardy and Leo deserve those Oscar nominations, and here's hoping Leo finally wins one.
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:50 am
Jeez, nobody seen any movies I guess, or don't feel like posting here.

Anyway, finally saw Pulp Fiction all the way through, though I've seen the film from place to place, but now I've got the big picture.

Definitely a great movie and the writing is so goddamn memorable, no wonder everyone loves to quote Jules. I personally want to go Halloweening as Vincent.
King of Thieves
King of Thieves
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:45 pm
I'm both angry and pleased with Tomorrowland. Angry because the practical side of me acknowledges that, like the rest of what Damon Lindelof has written, this movie is 100% full of its own sh*t and doesn't even comprehend how full of sh*t it really is. Pleased because it speaks to my youthful naivety. So while I don't openly revile the film, and even somewhat respect it, at the same it's pretty bad and stupid...
Press X to Hug Family
Press X to Hug Family
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:55 am
Hail Caesar!

Definitely for someone who appreciates the makings of a Hollywood movie, and those who love that golden era of film making way back when. Not much use of its all star cast, but it's a Coen Brothers film.
King of Thieves
King of Thieves
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:49 pm
Kung Fu Panda 3.

Talk about a strong finish! This is easily my second-favourite entry in the trilogy, right after the second film. Admittedly, it has some of the same problems as the previous two films, it's obnoxiously self-aware at times, but when it delivers, it delivers big time! Also, it's beautiful to look at, as per franchise standards.

Now please, can we keep this a trilogy? Seriously, not every franchise needs to go beyond three movies...
King of Thieves
King of Thieves
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:30 pm
Deadpool was a lot of fun/was really funny. I don't think it's a masterpiece, and not every joke lands, but I'd be happy if this movie's success inspires more superhero movies to come out of the PG-13 rating and try something more adult (in a good way, not the fake way...)
PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV