Modern Music seems to be Lacking

Snoop Lion Everyday.
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:31 pm
I've always considered myself a lover of music, but in the past few years new music that has been coming out doesn't seem to be drawing me in like it has in the past. I wish I could figure out why. I wonder if it's due to the fact that I am listening more to foreign music (outside the USA) as far as new music goes. This is especially true with country music. I honestly don't listen to it at all unless it's an older song on my playlist.

So here's a question for the rest of you, what is your opinion on new music (like within the past 2 years) that has been coming out of the USA? It can be anything from pop to country to rock to whatever.
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:30 am
Whenever something new and exciting comes along, it's fresh for maybe the first six months, and then comes years of soulless copycats who (with the support of the industry giants) run that cool new trend to the ground until a new thing comes along. Right now, there are way, way ,waay too many "indie rock/pop" bands and artists and female artists that sound exactly the same, write the same lyrics, look the same and bring nothing new or innovative to the table, yet are all over the tv, radio, internet etc. The mainstream music is currently so unbelievably stale and I believe/hope that a new thing comes along sometime soon that begins a new trend and then we're all excited about it for another six months to a year until it's depleted of any creativity, and then we'll complain about this same thing again.

The whole hipster-indie-phenomenon is fading already, it's not nearly as trendy as a year ago, and I don't think they'll be around in five year's time anymore. Or, not as a big thing anyways, there are still people who are into the whole disco-thing, so nothing really goes away. But you can still find good new music to your liking online, but you just have to dig deep and it's possible that you won't find more than one or two new bands that you enjoy. I haven't personally found a new and exciting metal band since Ghost, and that was like three or four years ago when I heard then the first time, but I've been discovering older bands and artists instead and found some gems.
Mr. ChaoticMeltdown is one rad dude
Two-time g1AfterDark Award-winner.
Mystical Adminja
Mystical Adminja
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:13 pm
Well firstly consider it may be you. As we get older, we kind of figure out what we like and tend to stick with it. We also have less time and interest in exploring new artists/genres. Also we tend to get nostalgic about music we enjoyed in the past because it reminds us of good memories, seeing an amazing concert or having a song/artist that you associate with your friends or someone special means you will be a fan of it for life.

Second, the music landscape has changed. It is easier than ever to find new music, but it also means that everything is so diffuse. Seems like it is impossible for anything that isn't already popular to gain attention and break thru to wider appeal.

Oh and if you are talking about Country music you already know that is a good old boys club. If you write songs for one of the already established superstars they might give you a break and let you play your own material. But beware if you aren't pandering to country royalty, if they feel betrayed by you not sticking to your country roots, or have a political viewpoint that isn't right wing, you are done.

But I mean you can sell out a little in country, I mean come on how much of it even sounds like country anymore? Most of it is more rock or pop anyways but they throw a fiddle or banjo in there somewhere. It is also totally ok for washed up pop and rock bands to be considered country too. I suppose the same may be true of all music scenes, it is all a game, but country is just more open and blatant about it.

Return to Music