You, Your Parents and Your Music

Snoop Lion Everyday.
Step it Up!
Step it Up!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:25 pm
My father tolerates heavy metal for the most part. He isn't impressed by most thrash or death metal but oddly enough, he did like Pantera when I played a bit for him. He also seems to digg some hair metal which is cool(Ratt, Cinderella, Accept for the most part). I dare not play black metal when he's around though since I'd probably be disowned.

My mother will listen to almost anything "if it has a good beat" as she says. She mostly just listens to top 50 hits and other garbage though.

As for myself, aside from heavy metal I like rap from around the late 80s to mid 90s(before all talent the went away). I also like some darker classical pieces. I'm not as hardcore about classical as my father, but if I have the time to sit down and listen to it I like it.
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
You Killed My Father. Prepare to Die
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:16 pm
I listen to anything and everything, so I digg almost everything my mom/dad/stepmom listens to. My mom willfully listens to anything I want to share with her, and she tries to find something good in everything, just like I do.

But my dad and my stepmom... They both hate everything I listen, except if it's one of their favourites, of course. They have never tried to control what I listen to or buy regarding music, but neither one wants to hear my music, so no loud music while they're home. My dad still supports me with music, mainly by helping my band with advice and old stuff of his that he gives us. Actually, now that I think of it, before meeting my stepmom, he was really interested in all the new (to him) bands I was listening to. Hmph.

Which leads me to my stepmom, who happens to hate everything I like, especially, but not limited to, music. For some reason she turns into this unbelievable bitch when I talk music with my dad or my brother, who is actually starting to like many of my favourite bands due to hearing them all his life.

TL:DR: Mom's awesome, dad's cool, stepmom's a douche, when it comes to music.
Mr. ChaoticMeltdown is one rad dude
Two-time g1AfterDark Award-winner.
A Smooth Criminal
A Smooth Criminal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:58 pm
I'm by far most judgmental when it comes to music in my family. And I'll be first to openly declare that the song is "GAY SHIT" if I don't like it
Spoiler
Cyrax wrote:oh...well, shit. I'm stupid.

JohnnyFarrar wrote:Mex is awful and anyone who thinks otherwise should feel bad.
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:42 pm
I tried to give my family a taste of the music I'm into, which primarily is anything from video games, since I'm not into "real" music, so I played this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0TGL07QAE[/youtube]

And that was the last time I played my music near my family without wearing headphones.

PSN: Mach5Mike (SSF4 AE, Soul Calibur IV, Soul Calibur V)
Faithful g1
Faithful g1
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 pm
I actually like a lot of the same music as my dad. We're both into 60's and classic rock, but I also like a lot of newer music that he hates. I think when you get to a certain age, you aren't as open-minded about new types of music.
King of Thieves
King of Thieves
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 pm
My mom doesn't really listen to anything that's not Jewish-related, but my dad loves Jazz and Classical music. I never picked up much of a taste for Jazz, but the other two I'm very fond of.

So yeah, we pretty much listen to the same stuff anyway...

Robber in Training
Robber in Training
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:47 pm
Seriously, when I introduced Incubus to my parents and my brothers. They love it and they jive with it.
An Empty Quote
An Empty Quote
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:35 am
I'm more into the rap, rock, and electronic genres when in comparison to my family.

My grandparents prefer Spanish music in general (which is completely understandable, seeing as they're from Puerto Rico), while my mom isn't too picky about her music. She just doesn't like stuff that's too hard, like metal.

So far, we've had no issues at all when it comes to our taste. Thank god.
"In other words…a worthless person will always be worthless, no matter what he does."
Previous

Return to Music