You, Your Parents and Your Music

Snoop Lion Everyday.
Prototype 2.0
Prototype 2.0
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:45 pm
My parents hated the metal phase I went through in college, and before that, they werent crazy about the punk I listened to in high school. But I grew up and grew out of that stuff and they love what I listen to now, actually. It's actually embarrassing to listen back at what I was putting their ears through all those years.
Sig by Darkseid2
Head for the Garden of Madness!
Head for the Garden of Madness!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:33 pm
Last edited by Canuck on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Modtalica
Modtalica
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:36 am
My mom listens to jazz and stuff like that and my dad liked country. I'm into hard rock and metal so yeah, not a whole lot of common ground there. I'm old enough now that my parents don't get a say anymore in what I like and don't like, but back in the day they generally didn't care as long as it wasn't too loud.
PSN, Wii U, Steam and Twitter: christenm123
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
Sweet Tooth's Daddy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:15 pm
My dad taught me how to listen to rock, while my mom was more into 80s glam stuff. I know I share my love of both The Beatles and Queen, for instance, with my dad, and my appreciation for Meat Loaf with my mom. But I also listen to a lot of alternative rock/metal, which I'm sure they're not into.

The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
The Best Offense is a Strong Defense!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 pm
well my dad doesnt care
my mother on the other hand, doesnt like it when im on the car with her always tries to turn off the stereo, she only likes whats popular so yeah im pretty much fucked
Party Demon
Party Demon
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:43 am
I listen to a lot of different kinds of metal. My dad seems very loosely fine with it, as in he is incredibly religious and easy to point fingers (he's one of those guys who thinks Stevie Nicks is a witch because of the lyrics to Rhiannon)...and yet he's done some rather unselfish and uncharacteristic things. I introduced him to a number of progressive metal bands (he plays Dream Theater's Images and Words regularly now), he listens to a surprisingly large amount of Zappa despite his stance on vulgarity...and he's even bought be an album by Death and Melechesh before. The former of which he was kinda like, "okay, but don't let your stepmom see it." I think because the two of us have become increasingly distant over the years he's willing to overlook my difference in lifestyle to an extent. We share many musical tastes in rock and jazz though.

As for my mother, she won't let me play half my stuff in the car because she hates it, but she doesn't care what I listen to myself. Heck, she even special ordered this poster of Machine Head's Drummer to hang in my room (at my request BTW).
(thanks Darkseid for the sig)

Dum bum bum
You'll be a Hero, in Time
You'll be a Hero, in Time
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:05 pm
My gran and I have the same favourite band (i live with her) Led Zeppelin.
3DS Friend code: 3952-7151-0407 (Pm me your code if you add me)
PSN: comminsar
XBL: DanielMaloney66
Steam: comminsar

Sun, I am Proud
Sun, I am Proud
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:02 pm
My mom likes pop and hates metal. Me and my dad like metal and hate pop. Any questions?
Come on, Get Serious!
Come on, Get Serious!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:28 am
Laslo Cornrock wrote:I wanted to know what your Parents (now and then) thought of your Music.

For my part, my parents were always very supportive. (Like they didn't force me to turn the music down or things like that). My Dad were always interested in "the new" album i just bought.

So i went from hip hop (teenage years) to metal (all years after that till now.....)

NOW....i want to know what your parents think of your music....and the music you listened to in the past years....(or when you were a teenager)

And...if you have kids....what do you think about their music ?

Most of the music I listen to is pre-90's, with the bulk of it from the 1960's and 1970's, and that's also what my dad listens to. I'm sure all of the artists that I like he thinks are at least okay. The Beatles, The Mamas and The Papas, The Zombies, Queen, Judy Collins, The Ink Spots, etc. I also like classical music, but he doesn't really like that.
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
You Crack Me Up, Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:51 am
My mother never really was a music listener, my father is though. I like a lot of the music he listens too...not so much vice versa. Although he seems to warm up to hip hop a bit more lately...not listening to it himself but at least not mocking it all the time.
PreviousNext

Return to Music